• April 19, 2024, 07:01:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why Isn't My Computer Running At 1 Gbps But 100 Mbps?  (Read 17674 times)

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
Re: Why Isn't My Computer Running At 1 Gbps But 100 Mbps?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »

Umm...if you tried it before you nailed it and it was 100mbps, why'd you nail it up there?  ;D
+1
Try a different cable to ensure that your settings are correct.
DIR-655 H/W A4, Firmware 1.34NAb02 beta

rrosendahl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »

I had a very similar issue. I have 3 laptops that I know all have gigabit cards and they connect at 1 gbps at work. At home with the DIR-655, all I get is 100 Mbps. I still haven't figured out why. They're all different laptops with different NICs, all have latest firmware. I upgraded to a shorter (20 ft) CAT6 cable from CAT5, but no changes. I'm wondering if it's the router. I tried forcing the router LAN setting to 1000 speed, no change. If I force the NIC, it keeps disconnecting. Let me know if you're able to solve this puzzle... :)

dvdsham

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 03:33:18 AM »

Don't use nails for attaching Ethernet Cables to the wall. The cable has to stay at a constant 10 mhz between devices or other wise you will get problems. Use High Quality Ethernet cables and avoid from using those cheap dollar store discount cables, often they don't have the wires twisted in pairs that is a MUST for obtaining 10 mhz constantly across the network. If have to run Ethernet cables on the wall I recommend you use coaxial cable clamps or 'U' staples. Never poke a hole into the cable, you might short the wires or cause a change in frequency.

Make sure your NIC in your computer is set to auto and same with other devices on your network.

dvdsham

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 03:41:38 AM »

Make sure you have the latest firmware in your router, goto dlink.com click 'support' and select your d-link product and click 'firmware'. Make sure you read the instructions.

marmoduke

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »

My opinion differs from one already given.

655's sometime do not "negotiate" lan speeds well on "auto."  They don't seem to play nice with every brand of NIC installed on computers.  Try to set your computer's NIC not on AUTO, but rather onto the desired speed.  You've got nothing to lose by trying.

rrosendahl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »

Problem solved: It's not the NICs, the cables, router settings (I tried everything!) etc.; it's the router itself.
For this and other reasons I just bought a NETGEAR WNDR3700 router. As soon as everything was plugged in, I had gigabit right out of the box.
I'm sad to say good bye to D-Link, but that's what it comes down to.

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 11:46:43 AM »

Problem solved: It's not the NICs, the cables, router settings (I tried everything!) etc.; it's the router itself.
For this and other reasons I just bought a NETGEAR WNDR3700 router. As soon as everything was plugged in, I had gigabit right out of the box.
I'm sad to say good bye to D-Link, but that's what it comes down to.
Congratulations on solving the problem.

Chalk up yet another 5-star DIR-655 router.  :o
DIR-655 H/W A4, Firmware 1.34NAb02 beta
Pages: 1 [2]