• March 28, 2024, 08:22:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Problem with Pink/Purple drive lights on DNS323  (Read 58671 times)

flickster99

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problem with Pink/Purple drive lights on DNS323
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 03:26:58 AM »

Hi all

This is basically the gist of what happened to me here:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8600.0

Although I now see that the lights were pink/purple and not amber colour.

I have 2 identical Seagate ST31000340NS 1Tb drives and had been configured as a RAID1 unit for 18 months now without a hitch - and going from f/w 1.03 through to 1.06 without a hitch either - even with fun_plug telnet to allow me to run TwonkyServer v4.x.

Then I upgrade to 1.08B05 as that's all the Australian site has and I get the pink/purple lights and the message that the RAID has degraded, and all sorts of issues with the GUI not listing the HDs correctly. I mounted one drive in my PC and got extra copies of all the files off it, and flashed back to 1.06 and I am now reformatting the RAID1 disks as I type.

There simply HAS to be a software issue with 1.08B05 - what else would cause all these same symptoms??? Is it fun_plug and Twonky???

[Up to 42% on reformat]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:10:03 AM by flickster99 »

flickster99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »

Reformat failed overnight!!!!!

Have to try again some how. Disks work perfectly in a PC but not in the NAS ever since I dabbled with 1.08B05!!!!

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

I posted this below a couple of weeks ago or so, however, someone decided to hijack my post and I didn't see any responses..  I'm having this continued problem as well below:
Figuring that I couldn't get the Upnp server working, I've since tried other approaches...  today I even tried the Twonky, but as soon as I attempt to us it - I get the same crazy colored amber lights...
Has anyone had luck with this? 

----------------------

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I've probably recreated the issue again as well... 

I have been trying to get my Upnp working on the 323 with my XBox 360.  Saw numerous posts about not being able to see the 323 with the XBox - with suggestions of restoring to default, and enabling Upnp AV Server.  I did this - and can now see the 323 with the Xbox.  However, if I try to "refresh", I get the above described lights - Everytime. 

I had been running 1.07, but after getting the weird colored lights, went back to 1.06 with the same result.  The status of the refresh is only up to around 30% or so, however, shows succesful when I noticed the lights are "weird". 

Here are my specs - and I'm not using any hacks at all:

Total Drive(s):  2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume Name:  Volume_1
Volume Type:  RAID 0
Total Hard Drive Capacity:  980806 MB
Used Space:  176471 MB
Unused Space:  804335 MB

Slot Vendor Model Serial Number Size

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 WDC WD5000AAKS-65TMA WD-WCAPW1080569 500 G 
2 WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA WD-WCAPW1540045 500 G

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 12:38:47 AM »

Just in case anyone is having the same problem... 

I used the "Restore To Factory Default Settings." on the Tools - System page...  This did not erase any content and appears to have resolved my amber light situation.

eerikh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »

If somebody is still suffering this "light problem" here is my solution:
I changed the UPnP server and iTunes server location elsewhere from root -diretory: the DNS behaves as is should be: silently serving me and not running all the time and finishing with disk failure with amber (pink&purple) leds on.
This problem came when I updated firmware from 1.03 to 1.07. (Now I have 1.06).

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »

Just had the pink light issue, took the drive out and plugged it into another computer and SMART was tripped on the drive as over temperture 70 degrees C, same 1.5TB drive with CC1H firmware both running in RAID1, running a test on the drive now for bad sectors/blocks and hasn't detected any problems yet at 15% will let you know the outcome after it has finished

fredrokk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

Just got a pink light on the right drive, when i tried to connect from my pc it showed both drives (caviar green 1gb) completely empty(!), Did a hard reboot and at the end the fans went nuts, but after a few sec all is blue again and the files are visible again. Guess it is a nice warning for me to back up again, but I do not like the idea of both drives (no raid) chrashing on me :/

I have no addons running, no unpn or itunes server, running 1.8:5

bpappin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »

I too am having this pink LEDs issue as of upgrading to 1.08.

If you check the status screen once it happens, you can see that the OS can't see the drives and the shares are not accessible over the network. Rebooting brings them back (until it happens again).

This is clearly a firmware issue and since this devices backs up the stuff here that I never want to lose, I'm starting to look for other options.

Gats

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »

I guess I found the reason at the origin of this issue.
If you upgraded to a new firmware 1.06 or 1.07 and if you are using UPNP functionality, I guess that (like me) you defined the complete drive as root folder (or a folder with a lot (lot, lot, lot, etc.) of files). I bet that there is an issue when the amount of files to manage exceed a given magic number. In this case the behavior of our favorite dns 323 is unexpected and both drives are marked failed. That is why this is not documented (Note: led color is not amber, but pink or purple --> please change the documentation). Perhaps there is an indexing process that fails in out of memory error or something like that, because when I changed the folder by a one containing few files, after a short refresh time I thought that santaclause was alive. Both of my drives where blue and ready.
It's amazing, no?  :D

ps: I'm a french guy and my english in not perfect. hope my explanation will help.

Gats

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »

Remark: I upgraded the firmware to use the upnp functionality with my ps3. I really tried the upnp functionality after the upgrade (support of ps3 since 1.06).

Perhaps the problem is reproductible in previous versions.

tommatu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

Hello everyone I had the same problem, I upgraded to Firmware 1.06 so that my windows 7 sees the DNS and then a few weeks later the pink/Purple light started flashing. I no longer had access to the mapped drives. Since this is based of the ext2/3 files system I needed to get my important files off the drive and test to see if that is true what people are saying that the lights mean the drives are going bad. This is NOT true!!!! If your a windows user please download DiskInternals Linux Reader 1.1 http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ with this program you can mount and use a Linux partition since the DNS-323 device makes the disk a Linux disk then the only way to access data off it is by having a Linux system or using this program. Also this will allow you to test the disk to make sure that its not bad.

Now having access to the disk you can put the (fun_plug) script file into the disk and enable the TELNET option to login to the actual Linux system OS on the DNS-323 with that you can set many options and see what is set and what is making the DNS-323 go off with the pink/Purple lights. Currently I'm working on a fix for this and it might take me few days but look into this. I hope this helps some.

Correzpond

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:23 AM »

In my case this behaviour was caused by an apparent incompatibility between Firmware v1.08 and TwonkyMedia Server NAS v5.1. I was able to the disable Twonky NAS server by restarting the DNS-323, then during the brief period (maybe 1 min) between the DNS323 appearing normally on my network (i.e. with regular blue lights) and it starting the onboard Twonky server (i.e. when the pink lights starting flashing and the device would disappear from my network) quickly navigating to the location of the starttwonky.sh file (in the case my DNS323 this was \\DLINK-NAS\Volume_1\starttwonky.sh) and changing the name of the file to starttwonky.old and restarting the DNS323 again.  Deleting the .sh file would probably have the same effect but renaming works quickly. I then uninstalled TwonkyMediaServer Server 5.1 and installed TwonkyMediaServer 4.4.18 which works fine (only blue lights on the DNS323). Hope this might help others who have the same or similar issue due to an incompatible media server app.

claudiu37

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 05:42:29 AM »

HI Guys!

I had the same problem with the purple/pink LED light. I also had problem mapping the drive. I solved all these issues with a lot of surfing on many forums. Anyway the problem with the pink/purple color is solved like this: You have to log in to your webbrowser NAS and format your disk by choosing RAID1 dont just delete the files manually. BE also sure you have the latest uppgrade on your NAS and router.

IF you want to map your drive just write your IP adress that the router gave your NAS for example \\192.168.0.175\Volume_1 and then klick ok. IT works every time.

[/quote]

essentis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 04:58:28 AM »

Hello everyone,

Just want to confirm the solution to the pink/purple lights problem. I encountered the problem a long time ago and i thought it was just firmware issue. Pink/Purple lights will show and the DNS is unaccessible, need to restart the NAS to be accessed again. My old firmware version was 1.06 when it started occuring. After i was able to backup my whole file and updated to 1.08, still got the problem.

Gats explanation regarding having too many folders on the root (Volume_1) seems to be the reason why it's giving that pink/purple light. So i moved the folders and structured it so that there are now around 11 folders in Volume_1. As of now (after 4 hrs.) the DNS is still on blue light. As an added bonus, connection speed has improved a lot!

Let's hope it holds out as its only now that i'm beginning to see why the DNS is a favorite!

Also, kudos to claudius37's  advice on mapping the dns using the IP address first (\\192.168.0.175\Volume_1)....works like a charm...

Thanks a lot for the help and post in your solution if it works for you as well.....building a consensus will help confirm the fix and make it easier for those who got the same problem!

cnsIT

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

@essentis xor @Gat xor others

Hi I have a small computer business and I just installed the DNS-323 at two of my clients and so far loving the product. However one client now has a blue/amber(Pink/Purple) light as described. Nothing seems to be affected.

First has this been resolved?

I'd like a bit more detail to the tried solution(s) I'm not sure how you restructured your folders in order to try for myself, or the mapping to IP address instead.

First on the '\Volume_1' I have four sub-folders. Everything seemed fine for at least two days, till I think one of the office users did a full MS backup to their sub-folder folder. +/-33GB

'...\Bo Backup\' 33GB
 '...\Taff Backup\' 66GB
 '...\My Book\' 5.4GB everything that was on the My Book
 '...\Shared\' 8GB?

Second this coming Friday I will be working on my other client's network and DNS-323, which currently has four sub-folders and no blue/amber(pink/purple) light, just blue lights.

Both clients are not mapped to IP.

Thanks,
cnsIT
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5