• April 19, 2024, 02:25:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't tell if router is hosed  (Read 6956 times)

Spiffy McBang

• Level 1 Member
Can't tell if router is hosed
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »

I have internet connectivity to anything that isn't web browsing.  I can log on to Steam or any number of online games, Trillian, etc.  I can also tracert direct IP addresses (tested with gaming servers).  However, I can't load any websites, and if I tracert any URL it says unable to resolve host.  When I try to log in to the router, it says the gateway is testing the network connection and will refresh momentarily, but it constantly refreshes to that page.  Once I was able to get into the router, but not since, so I can't check my firmware version.

I'll keep trying, but if I can't get in or making sure I'm using 1.7 doesn't fix anything, is my router hosed?  Or is there something else I can try?

Techgee

• Level 2 Member
Re: Can't tell if router is hosed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »

Try disconnecting the WAN side (DSL or Cable modem side) network cable and power cycling it.  (Don't reconnect the network cable until you've changed the settings below.)  You might be able to log into the router then.

Please wait...

The gateway is currently measuring your network connection.
Accessing this web page might have an effect on the measurement.
This page will refresh shortly.

wigs out on me once and a while.  To stop it, manually set your uplink speed, rather than have the DGL-4100 try and figure it out.  The setting is under ADVANCED, GAMEFUEL.  UNcheck "Automatic Uplink Speed", then set "Manual Uplink Speed" to whatever your ISP uplink speed is.

I usually set "Connection Type" appropriately as well.

Don't know if that will solve your original problem, though....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:24:36 PM by Techgee »

JeffG

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't tell if router is hosed
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »

Just a few suggestions:

1.  If you're using a HOSTS or LMHOSTS file, rename or delete it.

2. Make sure the DNS service in Windows is set to Automatic, and is running.

3. Make sure your network card configuration is correct (DNS settings, etc).

If you can ping direct IP addresses, but cannot resolve any names, your problem is related to DNS.