• April 23, 2024, 10:36:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Schedule dowload program in Bios not working! Please help.  (Read 11672 times)

dspoh

Schedule dowload program in Bios not working! Please help.
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:09:58 AM »

I've tried to use the schedule download program (FTP) in the bios and its not working.
The first time when i've test the url and settting (account etc...) it was successful.
After i've saved it, there was a "Download Now" button. I can click it and it download successfully.
After i've set the schedule time, it does not download according to the time, it shows a "CROSS" icon beside the scheduled task.

Anyone has this problem?

Using version 1.05 bios.

Any alternative funplug program that i can use to do a scheduled FTP download?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:03:58 PM by dspoh »

dspoh

Re: Schedule dowload program in Bios not working! Please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »

/bump

dspoh

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »

I realize its a weird/random problem if i've set the next download time after i've test (ard 1pm) like 5mins or 15mins (1:15pm), it works.

If i set the download time pass midnight (1am), it doesn't work.

I've purchase the device (more then 3months) hoping to backup my important files and it fails to do what it should be doing and its frustrating after so long of search for answers.

Please help. Thanks

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:33 AM »

Just a suggestion ....

Have you tried using Memeo?

http://www.memeo.com/dlink/
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

dspoh

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »

Thanks for your suggestion but its seems that i need to have my PC to switch on together in order for the schedule program to run which does seems to be serving the purpose here,
as i only wanted to have the NAS on at all times only, not with a PC accompany it.

I've send a technical support to D-link support last week, haven't got any replies yet.  :-\

Just a suggestion ....

Have you tried using Memeo?

http://www.memeo.com/dlink/

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »

OK - now I'm confused - exactly where are the files you wish to "back up" - please tell me they are not on the PC that you plan to turn off.

dspoh

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »

Nope, they are files and database that i'm backing it up from my servers. They are urls that needs authentication to be able to access.
I've tested the link using the schedule UI and it show that it is working, therefore that eliminates the possibility of broken url or wrong username and password.

OK - now I'm confused - exactly where are the files you wish to "back up" - please tell me they are not on the PC that you plan to turn off.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Wouldn't the easiest way to do that be to run the backup utility on the server and let that write to the DNS-323?

dspoh

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

I wanted to have centralized control and settings (fixed accounts on servers and only 1 page to look at in DNS323) , and now that DNS323 is so unreliable (i need to have 3 more accounts at DNS323 for FTP, because i need to backup 3 servers, and set them up individually), this could be the only way i guess.  :'( :(

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:50:27 AM »

Two comments ....

1) I think you're trying to use this device in a manner for which it was not designed - it was aimed at the SOHO/consumer - with three servers to backup, you seem to be out of the SOHO/Consumer bracket.

2) Coming from the other side - more the corporate angle - there is backup software (Veritas BackupExec as an example) that can be run on your servers, multiple servers if required, and managed from one console, which can be run on a desktop.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »

I realize its a weird/random problem if i've set the next download time after i've test (ard 1pm) like 5mins or 15mins (1:15pm), it works.

If i set the download time pass midnight (1am), it doesn't work.

So the downloads are working properly as they are downloading and able to access the data but the time it downloads are incorrect? 1am = fails 1:15am = works?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dspoh

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:04:47 PM »

So the downloads are working properly as they are downloading and able to access the data but the time it downloads are incorrect? 1am = fails 1:15am = works?

It seems kinda weird... For example:
[at 1:00pm] i've saved the setting to start on 1:15pm, 15mins later <it works>
[at 1:15pm] Changed it to start at 2:15pm, 1hr later <it works>
[at 2:15pm] Changed it to start at 4:45pm, 2.5hrs later <it works>
[at 4:45pm] Changed it to start at 12:00am, 6.25hrs later <it didn't work>
[at 12:05am] I've checked the URL both on brower and DNS323 Schedule UI and it shows it works.

I've have not confirm why is it so, but i've tried a setting that is 4hrs later, and it din work too...

Im still investigating on my side which is the problem child...  :'(

dspoh

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »

Two comments ....

1) I think you're trying to use this device in a manner for which it was not designed - it was aimed at the SOHO/consumer - with three servers to backup, you seem to be out of the SOHO/Consumer bracket.

2) Coming from the other side - more the corporate angle - there is backup software (Veritas BackupExec as an example) that can be run on your servers, multiple servers if required, and managed from one console, which can be run on a desktop.

I'm really not aware of if this device is not within "SOHO/Consumer bracket". If it doesn't, does that mean it shouldn't work and no support should be given when im only using the software that was given inside?
And again, doesn't it have to work when it suppose to do? irregardless if how the consumer is going to use it since it has the tools to do it?
Im using it as a small business solution as we can't spend alot of money on IT equip, therefore we had to squeeze every penny out of it, and DNS323 seems to be the best solution out there.
But thanks for the suggestion, i will look and see if the solution helps.

Thanks again  :)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »

I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't work or there should be no support - but rather that your expectation levels should be adjusted accordingly.

I recognize that small businesses often have big needs (I run a small business myself), but the cost of a backup system becomes a matter of justification - start by placing a value on the data, or on the time it will take to recreate the data if lost or damaged.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

dspoh

I just tested your issue with the scheduler and I did not have this problem it seemed to work fine I tried it at 3PM  and 4PM. Has anyone else had this problem?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream
Pages: [1] 2