• March 19, 2024, 04:21:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DIR-655 & Bridge Mode  (Read 278107 times)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: DIR-655 & Bridge Mode
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »

It is a shame that a router that costs well over $150 and that HAD THE FEATURE VISIBLE got firmware that hid it. It is supported by the hardware, and most other manufacturers using the platform seem to be able to provide it without the "issues" that no one seems to have. I (And probably 100% of the other D-link customers that brings money in your pockets by buying your products)  would like to see the feature back without having to use the CSS-hack. (The guy at tech support was nice enough to let me know, but still).

Also, as pointed out earlier by me and others, buying a whole new product to get what you already have on an existing product isn't very "Green"..
Get real when companies talk green it's all about the greenback.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

The whole controversy relative to this router is loosing DLink lot's of customers.  Once a consumer is jilted, they spread the word vehemently too.  This is just one example.  The lockups are more disturbing.

TheWitness

Ever seen a flawless device without any complaints or (non resloved) issues? So I think it is all quite relative.

Ozzed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

However, the flaw lies with the company here, rather than the device. The functionality was fully visible and functional, but then they "removed" it with CSS hacking, trying to fool us into buying an AP instead when the functionality is just there in the router. That is flawed FIRMWARE and flawed product management. Not a flawed product.

My bitpop and chiptune music.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:38:40 PM »

Hi Ozzed,

the AP functionality and a lot more (i.e. WDS) is hidden in the menu because it is a basic fuctionality of the Ubicom series.
As D-Link doesn't want this feature, they made it (nearly  ;D ) invisible.

So there was no devellopment of these features and they come pehaps with the state of their first days.
I can understand that D-Link doesn't want to provide new features until the visible ones work propperly.

And of course you are right. There is a lot of marketing.
But tell me a company that does not want to earn more money.

If you want, use these hidden features. But complainig about it may lead to the complete deletion of them in the firmware.
As they are not advertised for this device, this would only be a little step.

I'm using one DIR series Router as AP and it works flawless without QoS.
Using QoS in addition to the router's QoS slowed down the speed.
Using the same SSID and encryption as the router it provides seamless roaming.

Ozzed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 01:38:40 AM »

Hi. They did in fact have this visible in the first revision (up until FW 1.02 I think) But later removed it with the release of their separate wireless AP. I'm sure there is a "D-link can modify and change anything without telling anyone"- line in the EULA, but still.. some people might have bought the router in order to be able to enjoy this functionality in addition to the routing performance and such, and I don't think it is fair to hide it. Of course I am but a simple user and my single opinion might not be very important. But the forums are for venting, no? ;)

Anyway.. I think we all like D-link.. that isn't the matter here. I personally just feel that the whole "Green" thing tastes kind of bad with the "Go buy our extra devices if you want functionality that is already in your router." Statement.. I mean, do they want to really be green or is it all marketing hoax?

My bitpop and chiptune music.

TheAncientEvil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »

I can personally speak to this as I had a DIR-655 that had been working great for me so when I needed a good AP for the office, I bought DIR-655 for that as it had a bridge mode and I felt it was a quality unit.  Of course, now I cannot update the FW on it as it will remove the Bridge Mode option.  I very much disagree with the feature being removed or "hidden" as it was.  Unless D-Link was going to swap out the unit for a bridge model which of course they wouldn't.  Its a bit of a slap in the face to loyal customer.

acoustics

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »

Sigh... 'slap in the face?? really?' Did they use a little glove to do it or was it more an open hand woman cat fight moment that you just felt delivered?

The majority of comments on here just whine on and on just make it harder for everyone else.
I stumbled here and really wanted to find some great optimum tweaking for ps3 streaming type info but instead I find this dreadful place.

Honestly, I feel REALLY bad for D-Link.
They have a kick ass router (and tons of other kick ass products) with tons of features and all it does is creates more problems because people tinker with it and screw things up, too quick to blame D-Link and scream murder before actually restoring anything, calling them, emaling or just swapping with your dealer. I'm not saying that their products are perfect, some flat out sucked, but its their user base, the clientele that really turns me off.

I highly doubt they're losing 'tons of sales' over this. D-Link is here to stay. And yes this forum is full the sour comments and some have 'real' issues - But take a look at Newegg and other retailers, its got some of the best reviews and high marks of any company router. I dont think this beta forum represents the larger whole of people walking into best buy or newegg or the largest retailers out there.

All I can say is that I can tell by their post and frequent updates that they ARE trying very hard to please them all. Honestly, no software is bug free, it'll just be less bug free and they'll never win them all.

My DIR-655 has been flawless on latest Firmware 132NA, never a freeze (no joke) or reboot and I use all the default features, plus ddns, static ips, dhcp, have ps3, Mac Pro Nehalem, MBP, MB, ASUS, Foxconn Desktop, iphone and plenty of devices using bit torrent, streaming movies. It did stop sending internet once for about 3 minutes, but Ive never had it reboot itself like many post here describe.  The Wireless N speed rock, and I wire those Non N devices. ALL IS GOOD. It really makes me think that you guys have bad hardware or tinker with features that dont need to be messed with.  I dont use Shareport, so I cant speak of that and it could very well be broken. But some of you guys are for real, and the rest just want to scream for some dumb feature that they dont actually need, and already lived most their life without, and could just use a workaround.

I mean theres even post Ive read to the effect of 'oh DLink fixed it for me, but Im still not grateful because I had to call them.' what a lame person that is to not even appreciate a fix and let it go.

But for the 1% that has real problems (seriously, it cant be more than 1% with the sales that DLink Does and the very few people on this forum) I feel for you and hope it all works out. You paid for it and spent lots of time that you wont ever get back.

But for the other 99%, just grow a pair already OR switch companies, or give up and just stop using all electronic devices too, because reading the help docs and common sense is too hard apparently.

I mean it! this forum is polluted with just bitter girly men.  and I commend D-Link for listening to you because I HATE to even read the post, let alone the thought of actually speaking with some of these tar.dbags.

OPEN THE FAQ and look up 'PEBKAC' in the Appendix. It explains all you need to know about how this router operates. Read it again or write it down. Got it??

Or just hack the thing and write your own firmware and let me know when thats finished - but for now I'm headed back streaming my favorite Halloween movies to my plasma.

Good luck D-Link! You'll need all you got to appease these hounds.

Aww...Look at them all... riding in the short bus with their helmets on all crooked, and the way the sun is glimmering on their drool, I feel bad for em almost ya know?
In the words of 'what about bob'...Baby Steps... Baby Steps.. you can do it!

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »

But the forums are for venting, no? ;)

Ozzed,
NO you are incorrect. These forums are NOT for venting. They are for customers that are looking for legitmate support for SUPPORTED features.

That being said I'm going to lock this thread.

-Lycan.

Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Acess Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:41:43 AM by FurryNutz »
Pages: 1 [2]