• March 28, 2024, 07:29:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dgl 4100 and 502t working together  (Read 6859 times)

suprra_girl

• Level 1 Member
dgl 4100 and 502t working together
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »

Hey all, I really hope you can help me with this, I just can't figure it out :(

I have the 502T as our modem router combo but want to delete the router side and use the dgl4100 for this as it is compatible with xbox live whereas the 502t is not.

I understood that you bridge the 502T and then input your username pass in the 4100 and all would be dandy. But it is completely the opposite :(

I have it in bridge mode and I can get all the other computers etc working with the 4100 but I cannot ping the 502T nor communicate with it in any way. It's like it's not even there. Also I cannot browse the internet (obvious reasons of course).

Dlink NZ got me to make a wan miniport dial connection to my broadband to test the bridge and I got error 678, no response from the server. My isp helpdesk is absolute rubbish and can't help me at all.

So if someone can walk me through bridging and connecting successfully to my isp I would appreciate it.

Info:
502T
DGL-4100
ISP - Telecom/Xtra
Location - New Zealand

arod

Re: dgl 4100 and 502t working together
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »

suprra_girl,

Please reference the following FAQ link from our support site. The link is for DIR series routers but it's pretty much the same for the DGL series.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2831&question=pppOE#

suprra_girl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

Unfortunately that didn't help. I believe the main problem is that New Zealand uses PPPOA and bridging I'm unsure if it supports pppoa. What I ended up doing was making the 502t's IP 10.1.0.1 and the 4100 10.1.1.2. I have set 10.1.1.2 into the DMZ of the 502T. I am connected to the internet but have not yet tested the 2 xbox 360's for open nat on both as there is a new dash update which so inconveniently interrupted my testing lol.

Once that has finished I shall test nat on both 360's and if both are open I'm a happy camper and will justify my buying of this router as that is what I bought it for. The 502T does not support Xbox live (well more than 1 360 anyway).

The other added problem is that apparently you can do half bridging but I have the isp supplied 502t which has their custom firmware and only has full bridge mode which i suspect is my main issue whereas if I could upgrade the firmware from isp supplied to generic gen II nz firmware half bridge support may be there.

But so far it's working, shall post back results on xbox live testing and if is all good, I hope it helps future nz 502T owners in connecting to another router :)

suprra_girl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »

No luck, the isp supplied 502t is a pos to put it plainly.
What would be really awesome is if Dlink could supply firmware that would erase the isp rubbish and place generic firmware back on so that upgrading would then be cake rather than going on experiences of others and trying it thier way and bricking the firmware :(

There are 502t models out there with half bridge which a friend of mine has and once i've got him to buy the dgl-4100 shall try it with that.

But I did find a solution for PPPoA / New Zealand.

Purpose of this exercise:
  • To enable Half bridge in the modem so that it does not do any routing just passes on the internet information to your specified router which will do the dhcp etc.
  • To enable multiple xbox 360's online simultaneously with open nat

1 x Dynalink RTA1335 ADSL Router/Modem
1 x Dlink DGL-4100 (Firmware 1.3 & 1.6 is Xbox live compatible)

Follow Dynalinks instructions here for setting up the modem http://tinyurl.com/5a36vk
Once you're done put it into the wan port of the 4100 and do the connection wizard and you should be good to go.
You may need to do some ip changing but it's normally fairly straight forward :)

I hope this helps future people :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:19:54 PM by suprra_girl »