• April 24, 2024, 09:21:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Intermittent slow wired connection  (Read 5240 times)

hayley3

• Level 1 Member
Intermittent slow wired connection
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »

Normally I only get a lousy .84kbps dsl speed and I bought the new router because someone told me that even if not using wireless, the newer routers were faster.   So now my speeds are ranging from .19 to .84.  I have one other pc on the router...

I have no idea how to even troubleshoot this..Any help appreciated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Intermittent slow wired connection
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

tortillafactory

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm having the same problem on Road Runner cable internet. I first noticed it a few days ago, with my old Belkin Wireless-G router, and found that I could get more reasonable speeds by plugging directly into my modem. So I bought a brand new DIR-601 a few days ago, assuming it would solve my problem.

Right off the bat I had issues - I tried to do the "easy setup" with the included CD but it kept crashing just before setup was completed, or telling me that I needed to restore factory settings to my router which I obviously hadn't even had a chance to change any settings on. Manual setup worked just fine at first, but after a while my speed was very low (anywhere from 1-2 mbs with a ping of 200-500 ms as measured by speedtest.net) and I wasn't able to play Xbox, stream Netflix, etc. Rebooting the router would fix the problem for a few minutes, then the connection would immediately slow again. Phone support ran me through the typical troubleshooting, changed firewall and MTU settings etc., all the same advice I'd found online - and again, it resolved the problem temporarily, but my connection soon slowed again. It was extremely difficult to determine if the settings were actually doing anything to solve my issues, because any major settings change would trigger a router reboot which fixed the problem for a few minutes or hours.

My last-ditch effort was to do a hard reset and start over with installation; had the same problems with the "quick setup" again and had to do manual, and the problems persisted. But, after the third or fourth time I tried this, the good speeds finally "stuck." Until this morning - I'm back at square one, with painfully slow internet and no idea where to go from here.

I have tried all the troubleshooting mentioned above, and the speeds are the same regardless of whether I go wired or wireless into the router. Turned off firewalls, new ethernet cable, et cetera et cetera and so forth.

Here's the stats -

D-Link DIR-601 h/w version A1 f/w 1.02NA
Modem is a Motorola SB4100 issued to me by Time Warner
I'm running Windows 7 on the PCs that I'm seeing the issues on, but my xbox experiences the poor speed as well

I can give more info on the current settings I've got running, but they don't seem to make any difference one way or the other.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router and or PC to test, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.

I would check to see if you can get into an SB 6121 modem. These are great modems and work well with DLink routers. Have seen some issues w Road Runner ISP services FYI.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

tortillafactory

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

Yes, I have done all that. Tested with and without firewalls, makes no difference at all. The mode is set to mixed G and N because my adapters are older, with WPA-Personal, no cordless house phones - but again, I experience these issues when I'm plugged directly into the router as well.

You might be on to something with getting a new modem. The issues are so intermittent and unpredictable that they might actually be caused by the modem without my realizing it; I'll see if I can convince Time Warner to issue me something newer and hopefully less beige.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »

If your seeing this on a wired connection too then I would try a new ISP modem. I would see if there are any logs on the router regarding any disconnections from the modem. I would check the modem logs too. Any TV line splitters on the cable line comming into the ISP modem?