• March 28, 2024, 12:56:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bad WiFi connections, dropouts, stability issues  (Read 9595 times)

piopakk

• Level 1 Member
Bad WiFi connections, dropouts, stability issues
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Hi all

I think I may have connectivity and stability issues with my Dir-655 router. I want to make sure that my router is still ok.

Issues/symptoms:
- Netflix HD streaming on TV (through Apple TV) crashes often.
- Unstable connection
- Speed varies when downloading

My router:
  • Dir-655 router A3, firmware 1.37EU (2013/06/06)
  • It has no dust inside, have opened and checked it.
  • The router is from 2004
Please see this photo of the router installed in a closet, with little air coming in/out:
http://postimg.org/image/o2206j38r/

I have these devices physically attached to the router:
  • Sonos Bridge
  • Synology NAS Diskstation
  • Fiberoptics internet (the two white boxes on the top of the photo)

These devices are connected wirelessly (those that are connected everyday or often are marked with '*'):
  • *Samsung Galaxy S4
  • *Apple iPhone 4S
  • *Apple TV (3rd generation)
  • PS3
  • Xbox 360
  • Nintendo Wii
  • *Apple iPad Air
  • HTC smartphone for work
  • *Notebook: Acer Aspire 4752G
  • *PC through DWA-140 USB adapter (revision B1)
  • *Samsung smartTV through USB adaptor

I am not sure if the router can handle this many devices, many of them simultaneous?

These are some of the router settings:
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width :40MHz (it is set to auto 20/40MHz)
Channel :11 (it is set to channel 11)
Secondary Channel :7
WISH : Active
Wi-Fi Protected Setup :Enabled/Configured
WPA: Auto (WPA and WPA2)
Cipher type: TKIP and AES
Dynamic IP
No port forwarding
QoS engine enabled
FIREWALL SETTINGS: SPI enabled

WIRELESS STATISTICS
Sent :32405
TX Packets Dropped :336
Received :22513
RX Packets Dropped :973
Errors :169

Perhaps other settings are relevant to look at?

Daily usage of the internet:
PC and notebook surf the internet.
PC used to game online games (Call of Duty, Steam).
TV is setup to wireless, but we don't use the TV for internet.
Smartphones and iPad are used daily for internet and apps.
Apple TV is used for Netflix Streaming, but it often fails with no stable connectivity.

My internet speed is 31,84down/20,38up. Ping 11ms. (tested on speedtest just now)

I want to know if I have the router correctly setup or if the router should be replaced with a newer router. What do you suggest? I live in Denmark, if that matters..

Thanks
P

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Bad WiFi connections, dropouts, stability issues
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

Link>Welcome!

I think I may have connectivity and stability issues with my Dir-655 router. I want to make sure that my router is still ok.

Issues/symptoms:
- Netflix HD streaming on TV (through Apple TV) crashes often.
- Unstable connection
- Speed varies when downloading

My router:
  • Dir-655 router A3, firmware 1.37EU (2013/06/06)
  • It has no dust inside, have opened and checked it.
  • The router is from 2004

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process

Please see this photo of the router installed in a closet, with little air coming in/out:
http://postimg.org/image/o2206j38r/
Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.

I have these devices physically attached to the router:
  • Sonos Bridge
  • Synology NAS Diskstation
  • Fiberoptics internet (the two white boxes on the top of the photo)

These devices are connected wirelessly (those that are connected everyday or often are marked with '*'):
  • *Samsung Galaxy S4
  • *Apple iPhone 4S
  • *Apple TV (3rd generation)
  • PS3
  • Xbox 360
  • Nintendo Wii
  • *Apple iPad Air
  • HTC smartphone for work
  • *Notebook: Acer Aspire 4752G
  • *PC through DWA-140 USB adapter (revision B1)
  • *Samsung smartTV through USB adaptor

I am not sure if the router can handle this many devices, many of them simultaneous?

These are some of the router settings:
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width :40MHz (it is set to auto 20/40MHz)
Channel :11 (it is set to channel 11)
Secondary Channel :7
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy  Your antennas should be aligned vertically, not horizontally.

• Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

WISH : Active
Wi-Fi Protected Setup :Enabled/Configured
WPA: Auto (WPA and WPA2)
Cipher type: TKIP and AES
Dynamic IP
No port forwarding
QoS engine enabled
FIREWALL SETTINGS: SPI enabled

WIRELESS STATISTICS
Sent :32405
TX Packets Dropped :336
Received :22513
RX Packets Dropped :973
Errors :169

Perhaps other settings are relevant to look at?

Daily usage of the internet:
PC and notebook surf the internet.
PC used to game online games (Call of Duty, Steam).
TV is setup to wireless, but we don't use the TV for internet.
Smartphones and iPad are used daily for internet and apps.
Apple TV is used for Netflix Streaming, but it often fails with no stable connectivity.

My internet speed is 31,84down/20,38up. Ping 11ms. (tested on speedtest just now)

I want to know if I have the router correctly setup or if the router should be replaced with a newer router. What do you suggest? I live in Denmark, if that matters..
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

piopakk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »

Answers:

I really can't remember my proces on upgrading the firmware.. If i factory reset before/after, etc.

I could try and move the router out of the closet and away from the other electronic equipment. But before I do that, I want to make sure the router settings are okay, and that this router is capable of handling all my devices. Suggestions?

This router is the only one in my apartment. There are no coordles phones or other Wifi AP's in my apartment.

This is a screenshot of Inssider: http://postimg.org/image/4cp8akiln/

I have put the channel to 11, according to inssider, but it also says to move to channel 1 and 6..

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Answers:

I really can't remember my proces on upgrading the firmware.. If i factory reset before/after, etc.
I would recommend doing a factory reset and setting up from scratch.

I could try and move the router out of the closet and away from the other electronic equipment. But before I do that, I want to make sure the router settings are okay, and that this router is capable of handling all my devices. Suggestions?

This router is the only one in my apartment. There are no coordles phones or other Wifi AP's in my apartment.

This is a screenshot of Inssider: http://postimg.org/image/4cp8akiln/
Ya, this is probably another reason for bad router behavior. You seem to be in a WiFi Congested area. This was what was meant by any other routers near by.

I have put the channel to 11, according to inssider, but it also says to move to channel 1 and 6..
I recommend setting a manual channel to 13 and test. Try 4 or 8 later on after you relocate the router and and re-align the antennae.

Do you have any client HW that supports 5Ghz WiFi by chance?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

piopakk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »

Okay I can make a factory reset and setup from scratch. But it would be awesome, if you could verify what settings I should use. The same as described?

I have changed the channel to 13.

I don't understand about the antenna positioning. Should the antennas lie down, in alignment with the router itself? The "Antenna Positioning" article you link to, says otherwise? Please explain.

My Apple TV, iPad and Galaxy S4 phone support 5GHz.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »

The antennas need to be vertical not flat. Up and Down. Ground up point to the sky. From your picture it looks like you have the router mounted in a vertical position?  ???

Your other settings look good. Test with the new channel and vertical positioning of the antennas.

Salmony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »

Hello piopakk

I own the same router, DIR-655 from D-Link, and have experienced almost the exact same. I'm using a Samsung TV with Netflix. When watching something on Netflix, the connection suddenly drops out (on other devices as well), and the only thing fixing it is a restart of the router.

What I find interesting about your setup is that the router is located in a closet with not much air coming in or out. The same goes for my router and this has never been healthy for any heat producing electronics.

Today, I will try moving the router to a location in "free space" with a bunch of long cables to see the effect of that.

If you see this post, what did you end up doing?

Kind Regards,
Salmony

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?

[/b] Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?[/li]
[li]Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.[/li]
[li]Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.[/li]
[li]What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. [/li]
[li]What wireless devices do you have connected?[/li]
[li]Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.[/li]
[li]Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?[/li]
[li]Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.[/li]
[li]If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. [/li][/list]

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Please give feedback to the questions and suggestions so we might better help you figure out your problems.

Hello piopakk

I own the same router, DIR-655 from D-Link, and have experienced almost the exact same. I'm using a Samsung TV with Netflix. When watching something on Netflix, the connection suddenly drops out (on other devices as well), and the only thing fixing it is a restart of the router.

What I find interesting about your setup is that the router is located in a closet with not much air coming in or out. The same goes for my router and this has never been healthy for any heat producing electronics.

Today, I will try moving the router to a location in "free space" with a bunch of long cables to see the effect of that.

If you see this post, what did you end up doing?

Kind Regards,
Salmony