• March 28, 2024, 01:19:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How reliable is the print server function on the DNS-323?  (Read 4419 times)

SalsaNChips

• Level 1 Member
How reliable is the print server function on the DNS-323?
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »

I have been shopping for a NAS for my home network and am presently leaning toward the DNS-323 pretty strongly.

If (when) I pull the trigger, one of the first things I want to do with it is enable the print server and FTP functions. Those have to work uber reliably or I am going to experience a lot of frustration and bad feelings about DLINK (something I would like to avoid, if at all possible).

I presently own a DLINK DIR-655 router which has worked GREAT for me with the EXCEPTION of the Shareport feature for print sharing. Shareport becomes totally non-functional every two weeks or so until I reboot my router then everything is fine until next week when I have to repeat the process, etc.

So, I am hoping the print server feature on the DNS-323 will prove to be more reliable as a way of sharing my printer on a home network.

Printer is an Epson Workforce 500 multi-function (print/scan/fax).

Wanted to get input from present owners of the DNS-323 as to the reliability of the print server function and/or if any "gotchas" exist I should be aware before buying.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: How reliable is the print server function on the DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »

Dumb question, but did you ever update the firmware on that router to the latest and then reset to factory defaults and manually reconfigure it?  That will cure many ills.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »

The DNS-323 print server is unidirectional - so no scanning - BUT - there is a shareport application that you can load, which probably works in a very similar fashion to the one on the router, so you'll already have some experience with that.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »

I wonder if anyone has used the Shareport feature to support multiple computers connecting to a single printer? 

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »

With the multifunction printers, it is worth spending a few extra $$ and pick up the wireless or hard wired network versions rather than attach to a router or NAS and use that as a print server. They are cheap. I paid about $100 for my Brother unit.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:48 AM »

Clearly if you're buying a new printer, I can agree with buying the networked versions! :)  Of course, if you already have the printer and just want to get it on the network, that's not the most cost-effective solution. :D

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

Some of us are loath to replace functional equipment - my main printer is a nine year old Samsung laser, and when it dies it will be replaced by a networked Samsung, but right now it does everything I need it to and 12ppm is quite adequate - sitting next to that is an $1800 heavy duty dot matrix that gets used once, maybe twice a week - so you know I'm not replacing that just to get a networked version.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

SalsaNChips

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »

The Epson Workforce seems to work okay over Shareport with the DIR-655 router (even the scanner), but it is very flakey and intermittent. Re-booting the router seems to always fix the problem. Also, The drivers from Epson DO NOT work over shareport in Windows 7 64-bit, but the default Microsoft driver will (go figure).

So, regarding the DNS-323 -- what I am hearing is if I want to use it as a print server with my existing printer, it'll work, but I have to use Sharepoint and it will probably be no better (or, hopefully, worse) than what I have come to expect from the DIR-655 router. Disappointing they haven't improved upon that but it is what it is and not really a reason to put me off not buying the DNS-323 (still thinking about it).

Also, good suggestion about resetting the router to DEFAULT settings, saving, rebooting and resetting all settings manually. I haven't tried that but I will (and I am running firmware v1.34 on the router).