• April 19, 2024, 12:41:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Trouble w/VPN  (Read 7935 times)

nchicken

Trouble w/VPN
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:42 AM »

Recently installed DIR-130 on home network

Configuration:
DIR-130 handling addressing
DIR-625 configured as wireless access point behind DIR-130

DIR-130 configured for PPTP VPN access using WinVista

Problem:
Can connect to VPN Server, (from remote location, @ work) authenticate without a problem, even ping clients beyond DIR-130, but cannot "see" any devices (computers, network storage, printers, etc.) behind DIR-130

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? IP Address issues? DHCP? Subnet Mask?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Trouble w/VPN
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »

The good news is your tunnel is up and working perfectly.  The bad news is you now get a hard lesson in exactly what you do over the IP protocol (and is therefore routable over the tunnel) and what you do directly over layer 2 or on other layer 3 protocols.

How are you trying to see these devices?

If you are using the network map tool provided in Vista that uses LLDP which is a layer 2 protocol that can not be routed.

If you are using windows file sharing or any windows dialog box involving the word network (find computers on my network, network places, network neighborhood) then that is using the NetBIOS protocol for discovery, which can also not be routed.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though.

The windows (SMB) shares themselves are accessible by typing \\<Target IP>
The LPR and IP printers are going to work as normal as long as you reference them by IP not name.
Any NAS devices you have will either be accessible as a SMB share (see above) or by FTP in which case you just have to type ftp://<Target IP> in an explorer window.

If you absolutely need to have name resolution over the tunnel a DNS or WINS server can help with that, but that is beyond the scope of what I can assist with in a forum.
non progredi est regredi