• April 15, 2024, 10:33:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VLAN Trunking  (Read 9845 times)

hacktek

• Level 1 Member
VLAN Trunking
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »

I'll explain my situation to see if there's some alternative or obscure way to do this because i have failed in my attempts with this switch.

What i want to do is simply create some tagged vlans (3 or 4) and then have a trunk port that sends all those tagged vlans to a firewall. Can this be done? This is easily doable on cisco switches, yet i find no intuitive way of doing it with this switch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: VLAN Trunking
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »

Are you using a 1224T or 1224TP?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

You specified the exact procedure.  Simply create those VLANs and tag the "trunk" ports for every VLAN you have created except the default VLAN where it will remain untagged.
non progredi est regredi

hacktek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »

As they say, a picture is better than a 1000 words :)

Assuming i understood what you said, would this be correct? It's not working.

Thanks

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

That is correct.  Now we get to discuss what you are connecting it to and how that is configured.

*** Modified by Fatman because his grammar school English lessons never took hold.
non progredi est regredi

hacktek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »

Yeah, i was about to edit the previous post to give some background on what i'm doing.

Basically, i'm creating separate vlans to aggregate a bunch of wan links on a single card in my firewall, taking the tagged vlans from the switch and into the firewall, where i'm defining the same vlans with the same tags as the switch.

This should be feasible but it's not working at this time.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »

it should be feasible, hook up a machine with Wireshark to the tag port and see if you see the proper tags on the traffic.
non progredi est regredi

hacktek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »

Something i noticed, does the trunk port on the switch (port 20 in my case) have to be a part of the default vlan? It's like that in the pic i attached but i have doubts if it should be configured like that.

Thanks for the wireshark suggestion, that's a great idea. I'll try it out and see if i get some good results.

Thanks

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »

To match the Cisco way of the world it would be, but there is no reason it has to be if the other side is set up for tagged traffic on VID 1.
non progredi est regredi

hacktek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Even though it's still not working with my setup, i've concluded it's an issue with my firewall and will have to dig deeper on it, since connecting the wan link to one of the created vlans and the trunk port to a server with the appropriate tag set on the adapter gives access to the internet.

Thanks a lot.