• March 28, 2024, 09:22:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Nero Recode 3, MP4's (no audio)  (Read 11003 times)

skeil909

Nero Recode 3, MP4's (no audio)
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:00:10 PM »

Nero Recode 3 settings are:

Profile Category: Nero Digital
Profile: Nero Digital Standard

These profile settings allow for audio either in "MP3 Stereo" or "AC3 (Copy from Source)" but, with either selected, there is no audio during playback from any media server (I have tried them all.)
Playback is fine on the PC. No problems at all.

GSpot info from the created file:
mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
-ndsd: <unknown>
-isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [ISO 14496-12:2003]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:29:55 PM by skeil909 »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Nero Recode 3, MP4's (no audio)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »

I am sorry but I do not have any experience with Nero recode 3. It seems that it does something differently than Recode 2. I have herd about this a few times from customers but have not been able to test Nero Recode 3 as I do not have this software available to find what it does differently. Perhaps somebody will reply who has dealt with this issue and has found a fix.  Nero Recode 2 seems to work fine with this configuration.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

randym431

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »

I found the perfect converter to put you DVD collection on the dsm-520. Its dvdfab platinum version. Set it to convert to ipod, then in the advanced settings, raise the volume to 150% and make sure to change the screen size to 720x???, not the default ipod setting. Also, change the bitrate to 2000. This will give very nice quality on a big screen letterboxed. And the audio will be just right.
This creates an mp4 file that dsm-520 plays. And the quality is near DVD, while reducing the file size from 4GB to 2GB.
Then you can use the dlink dns323 to store your video files on, and bypass that 4GB dns323 limit problem.

skeil909

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »

I am sorry but I do not have any experience with Nero recode 3. It seems that it does something differently than Recode 2. I have herd about this a few times from customers but have not been able to test Nero Recode 3 as I do not have this software available to find what it does differently. Perhaps somebody will reply who has dealt with this issue and has found a fix.  Nero Recode 2 seems to work fine with this configuration.

I installed Nero Recode 2 on my XP machine and it won't allow me to encode in 5.1 audio.  It's greyed out.

Nero Recode 2 will not work on Vista 64, only the current version of Nero Recode 3 from Nero 8 will work.

skeil909

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

I found the perfect converter to put you DVD collection on the dsm-520. Its dvdfab platinum version. Set it to convert to ipod, then in the advanced settings, raise the volume to 150% and make sure to change the screen size to 720x???, not the default ipod setting. Also, change the bitrate to 2000. This will give very nice quality on a big screen letterboxed. And the audio will be just right.
This creates an mp4 file that dsm-520 plays. And the quality is near DVD, while reducing the file size from 4GB to 2GB.
Then you can use the dlink dns323 to store your video files on, and bypass that 4GB dns323 limit problem.

I'll check it out and see how it works. Thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »

Check out SUPER c it will convert just about video file to any other video format including 5.1 audio and it is free software.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

skeil909

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »

Convert to IPOD, Volume to 150%, Bitrate 2000 and screen size 720x536.

Play's fine on PC, as do all encodes.  No audio on DSM-520 playback.

skeil909

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »

Same problem, nothing at all changed, with v1.06 firmware and/or Media Server 1.10 / WMP 11 on Vista 64 or XP Pro.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »

I've been struggling with the same sound issues with the additional cruel twist with AC3 encoded sound that gradually gets out of sync with the video which makes the movie looked badly dubbed.  It's amusing the first time but the jollies soon wear off...  The world of digital video is fickle at best with so many options of which some small percentage will work as you want/expect in an even smaller percentage of the cases.

I have, after much trial and error, found a way that works reliably although I had to give up on Dolby sound for now.  I also gave up on Nero 8 (both Recode and the movie editor) for now, but I shall return.  Here's what I do that works:

- decrypt the DVD with your favourite utility
- I use AoADVDRipper to create an MP4 file of the main movie in an AVI container using an XviD codec and MP3 sound.
- Using all defaults will work giving decent sound, reasonable sized AVI file, good picture on large screen (50") plasma TV.
- You can use different XviD encoding profiles if you want to bump up the image quality (I suggest experimenting on a short video segment to save time)

It takes quite a few hours to encode a full length movie (depends on desired quality, movie length etc)

skeil909

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

I've been struggling with the same sound issues with the additional cruel twist with AC3 encoded sound that gradually gets out of sync with the video which makes the movie looked badly dubbed.  It's amusing the first time but the jollies soon wear off...  The world of digital video is fickle at best with so many options of which some small percentage will work as you want/expect in an even smaller percentage of the cases.

I have, after much trial and error, found a way that works reliably although I had to give up on Dolby sound for now.  I also gave up on Nero 8 (both Recode and the movie editor) for now, but I shall return.  Here's what I do that works:

- decrypt the DVD with your favourite utility
- I use AoADVDRipper to create an MP4 file of the main movie in an AVI container using an XviD codec and MP3 sound.
- Using all defaults will work giving decent sound, reasonable sized AVI file, good picture on large screen (50") plasma TV.
- You can use different XviD encoding profiles if you want to bump up the image quality (I suggest experimenting on a short video segment to save time)

It takes quite a few hours to encode a full length movie (depends on desired quality, movie length etc)

Thanks for the info. 

I don't have any sound sync issues though.  I use AutoGK and create perfect (single-pass) DivX/XviD, AC3/DTS AVI's in 30 - 60 minutes.
However, the DSM-520 drops about .05s of audio (just an audio blip, sync is not affected,) in pretty much the same exact spots in every movie, sometimes 30s apart to 3 minutes apart.

All those AVI's play fine directly off my pc's and laptop.  They also play fine on a $79 media player connected in place of the DSM-520.

I was just wanting to try some different programs and containers to compare quality, speed and eliminate the audio clipping.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I tried AutoGK with the audio passthrough and it worked like a charm  ;D - good quality video (2h 35m video rendered into a hair under 2GB - took about 4 hrs but my PC is not configured for speed yet).  I had no issue with the sound on playback.  This is going to be my standard operating procedure from now on.  AutoGK provides great batch support which lets me queue up many DVDs for conversion and then just let it run.