• March 19, 2024, 01:57:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DNS-323 slow transfer speed  (Read 98546 times)

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: DNS-323 slow transfer speed
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

Although there are many things to investigate, for starters, does your router indicate the link speed for the PC and DNS323? Have you tried different ports? Could be something simple as the port, cable, connector,...
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

brunetel21

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »

After long testing, and switching back and forward, changing cables i got it working.

The main problem were the home plugs,  and the second one, a old network cable.

Thanks guys. Now i get 12-17MB/s and the 8GB video takes only 5 min to copy over.

NOw i am in a dilema if i should set a pasword for the admin, considering that i have an ftp server on.
I know there are some drawbacks on setting a pasword. Does someone have an opinion?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »

After long testing, and switching back and forward, changing cables i got it working.

The main problem were the home plugs,  and the second one, a old network cable.

Thanks guys. Now i get 12-17MB/s and the 8GB video takes only 5 min to copy over.

NOw i am in a dilema if i should set a pasword for the admin, considering that i have an ftp server on.
I know there are some drawbacks on setting a pasword. Does someone have an opinion?

Setting an admin on the web interface doesn't have any drawbacks that I'm aware, it also doesn't make any difference to FTP access. If you are referring to user accounts and passwords, then unless you want people to access your FTP remotely (and files internally), you definately want to set these up.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »

As mentioned, there aren't any drawbacks I can think of. If physical security isn't an issue and you are worried about forgetting the password, just write it on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the box. That's what I do. If someone really wants to access your data, and has access to the unit, then can get at the data bypassing the password anyway. What it does do is allow you to access the unit remotely to check the status, make changes etc while keeping at least minimal security in place.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 06:50:24 AM »

For Transferring the files in-between the 2 disks to different folders i siply FXP the files back and forth with a fxp client like flash it works like a charm i get very fast transfer speeds

RTShaw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

I got the Dlink DNS 323 today and you guys are very happy people, i get transfer rates lower than 1MB/sec.
A 8GB video takes over 5h to copy over :(.

My setup is :

Router: Sitecom 300N Gigabit
NAS: Dlink DNS-323
HDD in the NAS: 2 x Seagate Int 2TB 3.5" SATA 5900rpm 32MB - Barrac ST32000542AS - Barracuda LP in RAID 1

Imac 27 i5 quad core
Dell latitude (one of the latest series, duno exactly now)

Everything is wired to the router, so no wireless. Only the iMac 27 is wired trough a pair of 200MBps homeplugs.

I selected 100MB in the NAS configuration and activated Jumbo Frames 9000, and no difference.

I have no itunes or bittorent servers running.

The FTP from outside to the nas works way better than within the internal network.

I am stuck now, and have no ideea what to change more, i read trough the whole forum and tried everything.

Help will be greatly appreciated

Turn off jumbo frames,  set network adapters advanced jumbo packet to 1514 (seems 2 get me the highest transfer rate) or 4088 bytes.

I Am a Criminal created by the US Government
A Medical Cannabis Advocate, User & Engineer.
I Designed your Space Shuttles, Cars & Software.
Can't design Squat now!

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »

On my dsn323/321 I can sometimes get 15mb/sec, but usually it's around 9-10mb/sec.

I am doing a full dns323 backup to a 2T USB 2.0 drive and I'm only getting 6.64MB/sec.
No matter how hard I want to believe my nas can do 15Mb/sec, it can only sustain it temporarily.
For the last 18 hrs or so my transfer rate is 6.65mb/sec.

BTW I'm running a dlink gigabit switch (2208) and I'm getting about 50Mb/sec on a synolog DS209.

Gary

eclipsed7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »

Has anyone modified their MTU on the client machine to 1452 or something close?
For giggles, I have been trying easy little fixes on my DNS-323 and came across a fix that mentioned setting the MTU of the Vista (Win7 Pro in my case) to 1452 or 1430...
I tried it, and want to share my results.
Prior to the change my MTU was 1500 and I was getting writes of 12 MB/sec and reads of 4-6 MB/sec.
I modded my MTU to 1492 and and now getting over 18-20 MB/sec reads and 16-18 MB/sec writes.
Will it fix your issue, unknown, but it might help.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/vistaMTU.htm

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »

That's interesting - changing the MTU should not have a significant impact on transfers across a local network - I'll poke around at it and see what effect it has for me.,
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

funky_disco_freak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 04:14:43 AM »

I can confirm that disabling MTU (previous setting was 4000) and setting the 1492 on PC network card result with higher speed (12->16 MB).
Damir Vadas
http://damir-vadas.blogspot.com

drhnehardt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »

You can check your Network card is set for the highest setting , sometime windows set it on the low side

Configure the network card
==============
1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
2. Double click to expand "Network Adaptors".
3. Right click your network card and click Properties.
4. Click Advance tab. High light Speed & Duplex
5. If you would like to use the full functionality, please set the Value to the highest Full.
6. Click OK.

das75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »

what happen, my transfer speeds have dropped but everything the same (computer, router etc)

Before:
NAS performance tester 1.2 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running a 400MB file on drive X: 5 times...
------------------------------
Average (W):     16.3 MB/sec
Average (R):     19.3 MB/sec

Now:
Average (W):     8.54 MB/sec
Average (R):     5.65 MB/sec

Layout is both computer and DNS323 connect directly to Linksys E3200 router (is GB ethernet).

ellacw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »

I also have the same issue. Have an SMC 3GN wireless N router/gateway. The DNS will not communicate faster than 100mb/s in half duplex. It varies between 7-9mb/s. The router must be pre-set in this fashion. Any other combo of auto, full duplex or 1000mb/s the DNS will not communicate. Even with the DNS directly connected to a device it will not go past 100mb/s. I ran up to 1.10 firmware however, the 1.10 firmware will not allow me to print on the network so I reverted to 1.09. The firmware does not have any change to the communication or duplex mode.

Blank_Disk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 03:31:06 AM »

i get some cat 6e cables that raised the speed to 20 - 21 mb/s but its still very low

XwpisONOMA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »

I have a DNS-323 since it first became available, I've used it at both 100 and 1000 speed links, I've tried all possible RAID (or not) configurations, and my conclusion is that if you are seeing speeds around 15MB/s you should be happy. I am usually getting between 11 and 18 MB/s, depending the RAID config and all other circumstantial factors.

Also, if you still have it, check the disk that came with it, and read the manual. The manufacturer claims about the same transfer speed, so we are all good, let's not keep beating this old horse, it ain't dead yet but it won't give you more than what it was designed too. It's more than 10 years old and in computer technology this is the ice age.

Having said that, it is unlikely that those who report speeds around 30MB/s did a proper testing, or they are either NOT telling the truth or they don't know what they are talking about or all the above. So take these claims with a grain of salt, or just drink a beer and relax. Life is too short to worry about the DNS-323's speed.

Cheers mates!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5