• March 18, 2024, 09:15:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: DNS-323 slow transfer speed  (Read 98541 times)

cloakedpegasus

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 slow transfer speed
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:08 AM »

On a gigabit network with a good tested throughput to other LAN computers, a file transfer from dns-323 to PC is average of 11MB/s. Transfer to the nas is slightly slower. This is well below the stated product transfer speeds and well below the capacity of my network. What gives?

NAS is reporting that it is connecting at gigabit speeds on setup webpage.
Raid0 2x1TB Caviar Black HDD's
Setup as a media server.

Windows 7 x64
WNDR3700 router
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:58:47 AM by cloakedpegasus »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 slow transfer speed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »

I have to believe that somewhere in the network path there is a 100mbit link.  Also, you might consider trying jumbo frames.  Note that with jumbo frames, any switch or router between the units must also support jumbo frames.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

lazzaro4000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »

Considering the simple network pc<->nas, a pc with a gigabit ethernet, what about the max "real" transfer speed ?

cloakedpegasus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

I have to believe that somewhere in the network path there is a 100mbit link.  Also, you might consider trying jumbo frames.  Note that with jumbo frames, any switch or router between the units must also support jumbo frames.

My router detects differences in links and is detecting both the nas and pc at gigabit. I checked the cables and both have cat6 cables(before was cat5e). No difference. And like I stated before this pc to other gigabit pcs on the network have upwards of 56MB/s. I reset the router no difference. I tried hooking the router direct to pc with Ethernet and actually speeds were lower at 6MB/s. I have not tried jumbo frames yet but I doubt it will double my speeds.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »

Mine runs ~15MB/s write speed on Gbit switch. This is very slow if you ask me and it should run much faster, at least twice as fast. And no, switch is just fine.
I am on 1.07 firmware.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »

You may think it should run faster, but that's basically the speed most will get from this unit.

mhoare1984

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »

Do you have Gigabit and Jumbo Frames support on all devices between and including your computer and the DNS 323? If so then you should be seeing higher than 10MB/s. I was getting 20MB/s write and 30-40MB/s read.

I've now upgraded to firmware 1.08 and when upgrading to 2TB drives I formatted them in EXT3. Since then I am only getting about 13MB/s write but my read speed is still the same.

What filesystem are you running?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »

I can't imagine how people are getting 30-40mbytes/sec read from these boxes!  I sure don't see anything remotely close to that.

Omnimis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »

I am getting 9.5mb/sec, but that is due to the limitation of my 100mb router.

I will find out what it does when I have my new gigabit router installed.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »

Here's a composite screenshot that I made back in January of last year - it's a composite of three screen captures assembled in MS Paint, because I couldn't capture all three images in one shot.

The background is an SNMP graphing tool called PRTG (www.paessler.com), it reads the bandwidth figures from my network switches, the one that's open is the graph from the switch port that feeds my DNS-323.

Directly below that is the output from a little utility called NASTester - and to the left of that is the Windows task manager displaying the network tab and the bandwidth that Windows is measuring.

From these three you can see here that with a 2GB file size, I can read approximately 250 mbit/sec from my DNS-323, achieving an average of 27.96 Mbyte/sec over two runs.  I have seen transfers averaging in excess of 30 Mbyte/sec and instantaneous peaks (reported by DUMeter) exceeding 35 Myte/sec.

This was excerpted from this thread in the DNS-321 section of the forum.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:07:06 PM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

vk

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:27 PM »

If I force my box (firmware 1.08) to run at 100mbps speed then I'm getting 7~8MB/s for both reading and writing regardless the other end is fast ethernet or gigabit, but if I leave the box run at 1000mbps then I'm only getting 2~3MB/s for reading regardless the other end is fast ethernet or gigabit, writing speed remains at 7~8MB/s though. Everything is wired to a D-Link DGS-1008D gigabit switch.

I've done numerous testing on my network to try to pin point the problem, including wiring my DNS-323 directly with different PCs. Speed wise everything looks normal as far as my DNS-323 is not involved, so now I'm leaning to believe there is something wrong with this little box.

Apparently I'm not the only one complaining about slow transfer speed with DNS-323, however I also hear many people are getting great throughput from it (over 15MB/s, I already consider it as great), which makes me wonder it might be a compatibility issue, more particularly, it might have a lot to do with what NIC people are using on the other end.

For my case the NICs I've tested include:
Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet (BCM5906M A2) on XP
Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet (BCM5788 A3) on Win7
Intel PRO/100 VE on XP
I'm using the latest drivers I can find for all of them, but the transfer speed was never good when my DNS-323 runs at gigabit.

By the way my DNS-323 has hardware version B1, not sure if it matters.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 04:44:26 AM »

If I force my box (firmware 1.08) to run at 100mbps speed then I'm getting 7~8MB/s for both reading and writing regardless the other end is fast ethernet or gigabit, but if I leave the box run at 1000mbps then I'm only getting 2~3MB/s for reading regardless the other end is fast ethernet or gigabit, writing speed remains at 7~8MB/s though. Everything is wired to a D-Link DGS-1008D gigabit switch.

The connection speeds are determined on a "per link" basis - so you have essentially two links one between the DNS-323 and the switch and the other between the switch and the PC - you can have one link at 100mbps and the other at 1000mbps, and the switch will accept the transmission at the higher speed, buffer it (store it in internal memory) and then transmit at the lower speed.

The fact that you can only get 2~3MB/s on a read with the DNS-323 set for gigabit suggests some sort of compatability or speed/duplex negotiation issue between the NAS and the switch - although I would have liked to believe that a Dlink NAS would be compatible with a DLink switch.

I've done numerous testing on my network to try to pin point the problem, including wiring my DNS-323 directly with different PCs. Speed wise everything looks normal as far as my DNS-323 is not involved, so now I'm leaning to believe there is something wrong with this little box.

If the 2~3MB/s speeds persist with a direct connection, the switch cannot be the fault, so I would have to agree with the DNS-323 having a problem.

Apparently I'm not the only one complaining about slow transfer speed with DNS-323, however I also hear many people are getting great throughput from it (over 15MB/s, I already consider it as great), which makes me wonder it might be a compatibility issue, more particularly, it might have a lot to do with what NIC people are using on the other end.

For my case the NICs I've tested include:
Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet (BCM5906M A2) on XP
Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet (BCM5788 A3) on Win7
Intel PRO/100 VE on XP
I'm using the latest drivers I can find for all of them, but the transfer speed was never good when my DNS-323 runs at gigabit.

By the way my DNS-323 has hardware version B1, not sure if it matters.

I have A1 hardware and the gigabit cards that gave me good results were the Intel PRO/1000CT integrated NIC in my IBM xSeries 206 servers, the throughput to/from the Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit cards integrated in my desktop (Dell Optiplex GX280) is distinctly sub par, around 5~6 MB/sec if I recall correctly.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

vk

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »

An update on this:

I've got an old desktop running W2K using a SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, which actually gives me a healthy 7~8MB/s transfer speed for both reading and writing while my NAS-323 is configured to run at gigabit speed. On the other hand, if I force my Intel PRO/100 VE card to run at 100Mbps HALF duplex mode instead of FULL duplex while my DNS-323 runs at gigabit, I could also get a healthy 7~8MB/s transfer speed for for both reading and writing.

I guess this approves this issue does have something to do with what NIC is being used on the other end. Some sort of negotiation issue probably?

Jon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »

The DNS-323 is slow, I don't understand why it even supports Gigabit, I have it plugged into a Gigabit switch, everything is Gigabit end to end on my network and I only get on average 11MB/s write speeds to the NAS.  I have it setup in RAID1.  These speeds are well within the 100mbit zone, so I don't understand the need for Gigabit in the first place.

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »

The slowness of the unit is really odd. It should be faster. I wonder where is the problem, is it network card or software. It would be nice if we get an official comment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5