• March 28, 2024, 07:01:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would you buy this unit again, given the chance?  (Read 13379 times)

meqwerty

• Level 1 Member
Re: Would you buy this unit again, given the chance?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »

The support is rubbish. The product's basic functionality and reliability is non-existent due to its rubbish firmware.

so, no. i wont. in fact, i'm gonna try and get rid of it 2nd hand, and buy something else.

knightfreeze

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:58 PM »

If I were to go back in time, NO!

The out-of-the-box DNS-343 is crippled, I believe it's mainly caused by the official firmware. I've wasted many many hours of sleep and worrying about losing my data. The potential of losing my data was because I didn't buy with all the bays filled and adding new harddisks were a nightmare. It wasn't very Mac friendly, performance was slow, not able to use with Time Machine and initially there were some write access issues (which was subsequently solved by a Mac OS update). In addition, I've experienced more responsive tech support.

Having said these, if you're familiar with the UNIX shell or willing to learn about shell (not that difficult, if you've been a DOS user) and trust that there won't be any problems during the warranty period, then beneath the firmware, there's an excellent hardware, brilliant Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) community out there to answer most of your queries.

With FFP, adding new harddisk isn't a big of any issue anymore, performance is so much faster and the DNS-343 is working well with Time Machine.

smugcat88

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »

I would have to agree with most of the posters here and say no.

I mainly use mine with a mac, and straight out of the box it did not work. After a few days of resets, reformats, new configurations, new firmware, etc, I finally got it working. But even then it still freezes after prolonged lengths of usage. Sometimes it doesn't want to shut down, and it just generally feels slow and buggy. The perception is that it is regularly letting me down in one form or another, and I always have kittens when I have to turn it off by unplugging the power, but often it leaves me with no other option.

I have managed to find work arounds to most of these nuances, but I bought this device so I could dump all of my data into a safe location and never worry about it. Instead I now worry about it all the time, and have been pondering buying a backup device for this "failsafe" backup device!

And that makes me wonder why I have the device at all.

tetreb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

I just saved 2 people from having the same problem we have. They ware just ad the sashier when i saw that thay have DNS-343 i told them don't buy them support is NONE and you will have just problem with them.

:)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »

I just saved 2 people from having the same problem we have. They ware just ad the sashier when i saw that thay have DNS-343 i told them don't buy them support is NONE and you will have just problem with them.

To the contrary, I just recommended the DNS-343 to someone looking for an economical storage solution.  Again, I think the value and performance of this unit are dependent on the technical prowess of the end-user, budget, and purpose.  For many people, the DNS-343 is a solid product that more than meets their needs.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »

To the contrary, I just recommended the DNS-343 to someone looking for an economical storage solution.  Again, I think the value and performance of this unit are dependent on the technical prowess of the end-user, budget, and purpose.  For many people, the DNS-343 is a solid product that more than meets their needs.

I can't agree, the support is substandard, they only people that were helping on this haven't replied since July, and there has been no major software release in over a year...  I wish I NEVER purchased this device...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »

I can't agree, the support is substandard, they only people that were helping on this haven't replied since July, and there has been no major software release in over a year...  I wish I NEVER purchased this device...

You get what you pay for.  The products with greater support typically cost much more.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

yepey2k

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »

/Rant
Funny in the past after owning D-link routers and switches that have stood the test of time it would stand to be told the 343 would be a smart choice given the history of the company.  If given the "chance" to demo a 343 there would have been laughter than a quick prayer for D-Link as they fell flat on their face. It was fantastic at first with room for improvement. Waiting patiently for improvement, the support fell short via "try this beta and pray! If it dose not work good luck! Silence!", the return policy even shorter leaving an airplane sounding paper weight in its wake. No intent to fix! Maybe because of Boxee hype. By the bye dose that not need some sort of place to store things like photos, music and videos to stream from? Something like a NAS? Well anyway thanks for nothing. Once a loyal paying customer, now... well lets say a loyal customer that may be responsible for D-link loosing tens of one dollar bills. To answer the question? Nobody that asks us will ever buy this unit or any other D-link product again. Small change you say? Well Apple is only a fruit right?
/End Rant
Pages: 1 [2]