• April 23, 2024, 02:18:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-343 Disks not recognized after restart/shutdown  (Read 13407 times)

Chocomel

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 Disks not recognized after restart/shutdown
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »

Hi all!

I've read a few references in other threads regarding this, but am unclear if there is a solution for this problem:

I'm running a 343 with 1.03 firmware, and 4 x 1.5TB Seagates. I'm attempting to get configure it as a 4.5 TB. Raid-5.

After a restart through the WebGui, regardless of the type of formatting I try, there are always 1 or 2 drives not recognized. They appear on the LED-display, but not in the WebGui. So, when running Raid-5, it keeps needing to resync every time a disk doesn't appear after a restart. This problem keeps occurring, and I can't seem to get the 343 operating properly on Raid-5 without randomly "losing" a drive after restarts. It's not linked to a specific drivebay, sometimes it's 1 or 4, but it often seems to be bay 3 as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:59:44 PM by Chocomel »

chaicka

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-343 Disks not recognized after restart/shutdown
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

Just curious, firmware v1.03 is out?

danieleghiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »

I have the same problem, my dns-343 has fw 1.02 configured with four disks 1TB Hitachi using RAID 5.
Everything ok, but when shutdown the dns, at the restart it can't access the disks and the raid volume.
I must connect by http and press system restart in the maintenance menù. Then all ok again ,with all my data in the right place!

i read that the new firmware  1.03 (present only on dlink.fr!!!!!!) doesn't solve the problem.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi all!

I've read a few references in other threads regarding this, but am unclear if there is a solution for this problem:

I'm running a 343 with 1.03 firmware, and 4 x 1.5TB Seagates. I'm attempting to get configure it as a 4.5 TB. Raid-5.

After a restart through the WebGui, regardless of the type of formatting I try, there are always 1 or 2 drives not recognized. They appear on the LED-display, but not in the WebGui. So, when running Raid-5, it keeps needing to resync every time a disk doesn't appear after a restart. This problem keeps occurring, and I can't seem to get the 343 operating properly on Raid-5 without randomly "losing" a drive after restarts. It's not linked to a specific drivebay, sometimes it's 1 or 4, but it often seems to be bay 3 as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chocomel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:56 AM »

Now this is interesting: On Mr. Daniel's unit, the disks do NOT appear after a Shutdown, but they DO appear properly after a Restart through the WebGui. From what I've read so far, the Restart in the WebGui  is the action that generally causes the drive NOT to appear. On my unit, and others, per what I've read, Shutdown is the only "safe" action, ie. a means to shut down the unit, without losing a disk / Raid-5 integrity on the next power-on.

Anyone care to comment/add their findings?

I have the same problem, my dns-343 has fw 1.02 configured with four disks 1TB Hitachi using RAID 5.
Everything ok, but when shutdown the dns, at the restart it can't access the disks and the raid volume.
I must connect by http and press system restart in the maintenance menù. Then all ok again ,with all my data in the right place!

i read that the new firmware  1.03 (present only on dlink.fr!!!!!!) doesn't solve the problem.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Chocomel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:31 AM »

Hi all, I'm posting to bump this topic a bit. Can anyone (either from D-Link or another user) help me out with this problem? (Disk(s) not recognized after restart through the WebGui, resulting in degraded Raid-5.) I'm not the only who had this problem, see the quoted post below.

Thanks,

-Avinash

Thanks.  Worked for me :)

I've had issues with doing a "Restart".  When I do a Restart, sometimes one of the discs in the array is not recognized.  When I do a "Shutdown" and then start from the power switch, the dns-343 finds all the drives.  Once it misses one drive, the raid array has to re-sync which takes many hours.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »

Chocomel

Have you looked into any firmware updates for your drives some issues have been known with these drives that have been addressed with new firmware from Seagate.

danieleghiro

We are looking into an issue with the The Deskstar 7K1000.B - Model HDT721010SLA360 on the DNS-343, 323, and 321 which may be the cause of your issue seeing your volume.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

danieleghiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:14:34 PM »

ok thanks, i'll stay tuned on this post till your suggestion for the solution

regards
Daniele

nataku316

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

i'm also having a similar issue where it may or may not see the drive on restart, however my go one step further in reporting bad drive in middle run and after reboot it’ll reconfigure the  RAID is found. i'm running 1.02  Seagate ST3500320AS 

Chocomel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »

Thank you for the response Daniel. According to the Seagate-website, the drives that I have (models with Seagate harddrive firmware CCxx) should not be affected by any problems, and should work fine in a Raid-5 setup. However, after speaking to one of their tech-people directly, I was supplied with a firmware specifically meant for upgrading drives with a CC1F or CC1G-firmware, to a CC1H firmware.

But, even with this upgrade, the problems persists. A "shutdown", either through the WebGui or via teh Power-button, causes no problems. But, after a "restart", selected through the WebGui, one or more of the drives are not recognized, and the array is degraded. After a reboot, the array was gone entirely, not even going into degarded or resynch-mode. After a full shutdown, and power-up again, the array becomes visible again, and starts resynchronizing. (Which takes approx. to 24 hrs on a 4,5 tb-array.)

So, I've tried the newest (1.03) DNS-firmware, I've checked and upgraded the firmware on the Seagate-drives, and still the problem persists.

Now what?

Chocomel

Have you looked into any firmware updates for your drives some issues have been known with these drives that have been addressed with new firmware from Seagate.

danieleghiro

We are looking into an issue with the The Deskstar 7K1000.B - Model HDT721010SLA360 on the DNS-343, 323, and 321 which may be the cause of your issue seeing your volume.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:02:38 AM by Chocomel »

Sigh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »

I have the exact same issue for RAID 5 and I'm using the 1.02a firmware and the Segate 1.5 drives came with the CC1H firmware. Even when I just try to format the drives with no RAID I get multiple volumes, but really I bought this device for RAID 5. I'm just giving up and will get rid of the device as I don't see any resolutions from DLink appearing anytime soon from what I have read in other posts on this forum.

northja

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »

I have the same Configuration with 1.02a Firmware and the device has never worked OK..
Slow Coping (about 1/4 speed of a USB connected device) Drive's are ramdom when you reboot, sometimes they are there somtimes not.. I have LOST a bunch of Info (good thing I only use them for backups and not production data) but to me they are worthless.. good thing I don't have to restore anything.. I just lost everything today again.. again ... again.. Something needs to be done to get these wroking correctly..  HELP!!

Chocomel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »

Hi everybody. I think I've found the issue, and found a solution. The problem seems to occur specifically with the Seagate Barracude 7200.11 drives with CC1J-firmware on it.

When different harddisk-firmwares are mixed in a Raid-5 array, the disks with the CC1J-firmware are often not recognized on warm reboot. I now have a set of 4 drives all running CC1H-firmware, and the unit seems to be running properly. But as soon as I swap one of the CC1H-disks with a CC1J, problems occur on warm reboot.

So, if you have a set with mixed firmwares on the drive, always do a full shutdown, and reboot "cold". If you have a matching CC1H-set of drives, as far as I've found, all is fine.

Seagate were very helpful and responsive in my email-correspondence with their tech-support staff, and they provided me with the option to flash the CC1H-firmware to the drives I purchased. (Which were shipped with CC1G-firmware originally.)

One note though: I tested the same drive with CC1J-frimware on a DNS-323, and, even formatted as a stand-alone drive/volume, the drive has problems being recognized on warm reboots. (running 1.06 firmware on the DNS-323, btw.)

So, as far as I can see, and based on what I have tested CC1J-drives are problematic in the DNS-units, CC1H-drives seem fine.

Hope this helps any other user with the same/similar problems.

D-Link staff - any input/insights/comments from your end? Thanks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

Thank you very much for your input I will note this and keep track of any issue's with these drives noting that the CC1H firmware seems to be the fix if you are experiencing this issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

BraneTraveler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »

Now looking at the D-Link page for firmware updates for the DNS-343 one sees the following notice:

*WARNING* The Deskstar 7K1000.B - Model HDT721010SLA360 Hitachi drives are currently not supported on the DNS-343

Great.  Don't recall seeing that when I purchased this thing and upgraded the firmware.  Now I have four Hitachi drives, which I have used in the past and for me work great, and this thing.  After seeing the other posts I don't fell like laying out another $400 on drives to see that they aren't supported either.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

Please read the post in the DNS-323 section regarding these drives. We already have a fix implemented in beta firmware that addresses this issue and it will be provided for ALL D-Link NAS's as soon as testing has concluded. I already have the new hitachi drives working in a Raid here at the office so the outcome is lookin VERY promising.
Pages: [1] 2