• March 28, 2024, 05:58:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Optimal setup for DIR-825 w/ DAP-1522?  (Read 10811 times)

thatwilsonguy

• Level 1 Member
Optimal setup for DIR-825 w/ DAP-1522?
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »

I have searched around to see if there is a default list of settings that should work best for you average person with no luck. I also read the 300mbps settings and didn't get the 300mbps connection with those settings.

I am currently running Firmware 1.11NA (I'm in NA) on the 825. I tried to download 1.20 from ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir855/Firmware/ however it would not load (did it wired).
(Now realize that 1.20 is for REVB and I have A)

The 1522 is running 1.20 and appears to be the most up to date.

I am using the 2.4ghz band set to N and G. It connects to my Desktop (N) and two smart phones (G).
Other Settings:
Auto Channel Scan - NO (setup on a channel 11 all other networks in my area are 6)
Transmission rate - Best/AUTO
Channel Width - 20/40
WPA-Personal - AUTO (WPA - WPA2) - AES Cipher - 3600 interval

I am using the 5ghz band to connect to my 1522 which is connected to gaming consoles.
The 5ghz is basically the same except it is set to N only.

QOS and WISH are turned off.

both my desktop and the 1522 have a pretty stable connection at 50%. I am getting ready to move into my new home next month so I'm not going to bother moving around the router for better quality unless that is the only thing that I can improve.

Right now I'm getting

2.4ghz  108mbps at 62%
5ghz    121mbps at 54% (form the 825 wireless status page)

I am just looking to get the most out of my network and don't know enough about it to feel good that I am.

tastysheriff

• Level 1 Member
Re: Optimal setup for DIR-825 w/ DAP-1522?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »

I have a very similar setup. I did some testing and I found that I get about a 33% performance increase when doing file transfers when I set Channel width to 20 only. It saved my butt too because HD movies from my file server to my HTPC were stuttering before the change, but now they play back perfect. I'm also using QOS, but it doesn't seem to make a difference for my application.

However you are using it for gaming consoles, which require less latency than my needs. I'm not sure if the channel width will do anything for that, but low latency is the reason for QOS to exist.

thatwilsonguy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »

Thanks for the info. I will play around with that and try to put some numbers back up here so people can have an idea of where to start. From the look of it I should consider myself lucky to have a stable network. I

thatwilsonguy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »

It seems counter intuitive but I think you are right. From everything I have read the 20MHz width is mostly for legacy and should on paper be slower.

I don't have a solid way to test the actual transfer rate other than one of those online speed test (which I'm sure aren't a very accurate way to measure this), however its is telling me that my connection to the internet is significantly faster. My signal quality also got a hefty boost and that may be the real cause of the better connection speed.

My speedtest readings have gone from 5-7mbps during heavy traffic times to 12-15mbps.
durring slow traffic times I'm capping out at nearly 30mbps.

As I said I don't think this is a really accurate way to gauge. Do you use a program to monitor the transmission rate of your 825 to your 1522?

kmcree

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »

I have a very similar setup:

DIR-825 - Rev A1 firmware 1.11NA
DAP-1522 - firmware 1.20

5GHz band is set to N only, channel width set to 40 (not auto)
DNS relay is off
Most other settings are "default" - auto channel scan, etc.

The wireless page on the 825 shows 216Mbps at ~70%.  This will fluctuate from 108Mbps to 216Mbps.  There are about 30 feet and two walls between the devices.  The network tuning page on the Xbox360 shows all green bars and max network performance.  I believe that the Xbox Lan port is only 100Mb anyway.