• March 28, 2024, 04:15:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firmware 1.05 release  (Read 13776 times)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Firmware 1.05 release
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »

Firmware 1.05 is now available on the D-Link support website.

http://www.support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS%2D323

Release notes:

¤ Add BitTorrent Support.
¤ Add LLTD Support.
¤ Add Jumbo Frame Support up to 9000.
¤ Add option to re-configure the Hard Drive configuration as RAID 1 when installing the 2nd new Hard Disk.
¤ Add Korean and Turkish codepage support in the FTP client language settings.
¤ Add .info domain support for email alerts.
¤ Fixed Hard Disk formatting on certain drives.
¤ Fixed Print Server support.
¤ Fixed iTunes support for large music libraries.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
Re: Firmware 1.05 release
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »

I have had no problems at all with the unit so far to date.  Yesterday I upgraded to 1.05.  This morning, I got the email from the DNS-323 stating that both drives had failed, had 2 amber lights and no access to any data.  I rebooted the DNS-323 and blue lights came back, and I now have access to everything again.

Any idea what is going on here?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »

Can you post your Drive information? Easiest way is to check your raid configuration and copy the Hard drive Make/Model info.

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »

I'm sorry - how do I get that info?  I can only get the Raid type and storage space status...  If I do anything further, it will format...

THanks!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »

The hard drive make & model will be on the drives themselves.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »

ah - I thought they were saying there was a way to get it from the config info... I'll pull them this afternoon and repost.

Thanks!

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »

Okay, they are both Western Digital Caviar SE16 500 GB HDD - WD5000AAKS--TMA0 ...  RAID 0

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:34:45 PM by jtrevill »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »

ah - I thought they were saying there was a way to get it from the config info... I'll pull them this afternoon and repost.

Thanks!

With changes to the firmware in 1.04 you actually can get the info directly from the GUI. If you go to Tools > Raid > Click Set Raid Type and Re-format it will give you a window with all your harddrive information and then you can simply cancel out. Thank you for the information we will look into it asap. If you are worried about the drives you could also revert the firmware to an earlier version that worked for you.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »

RAID0 !?!?  Please tell me you have it backed up - a terabyte of data is a lot to lose.

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »

Thanks for the help...  It has continued working today without issue - I'll keep you updated if it does it again.

Absolutely I have it backed up (even though it isn't anywhere near full yet)...  Thanks for the concern though...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

Ok - curosity question - why did you choose RAID0 - what are the benefits?

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »

I don't know alot about this, but I chose Raid 0 for the speed.  I use this to host all my DVD's which are ripped...  I can then play my movies via the Xbox over the network without having to actually put the disc in the player...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »

Under normal circumstances, that would have been a valid choice - RAID0 usually provides greater perfomance, but with a greater risk of lost data in the event of a drive failure.

The performance increase, which is greater on disk reads, results from the fact that you can be reading from one drive whilst the other drive may be seeking (moving the head) to a new location - and only occurs when the disk subsystem is the bottleneck.

Today's disks are significantly faster than those of a few years ago and so the advantages of RAID0 have become largely theoretical, and tests have shown that RAID0 on the DNS-323 provide little if any, increase in performance.

Still - my concern was for safety of your data - since RAID0 does increase the possibility of lost data, but, once you have it backed up, you're good to go.

bspvette86

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Another advantage of Raid-0 would be twice the space as Raid-1.  Again, as Fordem points out, BACK YOUR DATA UP regardless of what format you choose unless you really don't care if it is lost...

Regards,
Karl

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »

Sorry, but not to be rude, but my concern was with the upgrade - I'm fully aware of my RAID options and backup needs... Thank you for your input.  Does anyone have any comments regarding the problems I've seen since upgrading the firmware?  Today I found the unit in the same situation.   In addition, I've noticed that if the unit sits idle for a while it will still be on, but inaccessible until I reboot it.   For the time being, I've downgraded the firmware back to 1.04 to see if that resolves the problems...
Pages: [1] 2