• March 29, 2024, 12:08:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Few questions to DCS-2132L users  (Read 7581 times)

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
Few questions to DCS-2132L users
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »

My old DCS-942L is broken, so i decided to buy something more powerful and modern, and now i'm looking on DCS-2132L. Can somebody please answer a few questions regarding this camera?
1. Can this camera show video on it's webpage (NOT myDlink!!!) in browsers different from MSIE (Chrome, Mozilla, Presto-based Opera 12, Chromium-based Opera 15)? Do some browser plugin need to be installed (like CamCliCtrl for DCS-942L)?
2. Second question relies on first: Can this camera be viewed in Linux versions of browsers using Java (e.g. like 930L)? What about Android tablets?
3. Do 1 infrared LED produces enough light to see the image in absolute darkness? How good image quality in night mode?
4. If the light sensor is set to "Auto", will camera always be in "Night" mode like 942L or this camera have more sensitive sensor?
5. Is this true that camera cannot generate new (sub)folder every Month/Day/Hour on FTP-server like 930L and 942L do and just places all of the images into one folder on FTP-server?
6. What is the lenght of camera's power cord?
7. What about WiFi? Receiving radius? Signal quality and stability?
8. Can i view live video in low resolution and simultaneously camera will send images to FTP-server in high resolution?
Thanks in advance for answers and sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native english speaker.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Few questions to DCS-2132L users
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »

There are a few posts here that say the image quality is junk compared to others.

I would advise looking into the dcs-2230. Which isn't a L series. Doesn't work with mydlink.com.

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »

There are a few posts here that say the image quality is junk compared to others.

I would advise looking into the dcs-2230. Which isn't a L series. Doesn't work with mydlink.com.

Thanks, i'll think about this! Btw RYAT3 , are you using the dcs-2230? Can you anwer the same questions i asked in first post but about dcs-2230? I'm really need help... :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:44:37 AM by evilslon »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

Thanks, i'll think about this! Btw RYAT3 , are you using the dcs-2230? Can you anwer the same questions i asked in first post but about dcs-2230? I'm really need help... :)

I have a few.  I'll try to later tonight.

Too hard to do on my phone here.

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »

I have a few.  I'll try to later tonight.

Too hard to do on my phone here.

Thanks in advance, i'll be patiently waiting!

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »

My old DCS-942L is broken, so i decided to buy something more powerful and modern, and now i'm looking on DCS-2132L. Can somebody please answer a few questions regarding this camera?

1. Can this camera show video on it's webpage (NOT myDlink!!!) in browsers different from MSIE (Chrome, Mozilla, Presto-based Opera 12, Chromium-based Opera 15)? Do some browser plugin need to be installed (like CamCliCtrl for DCS-942L)?

2. Second question relies on first: Can this camera be viewed in Linux versions of browsers using Java (e.g. like 930L)? What about Android tablets?

3. Do 1 infrared LED produces enough light to see the image in absolute darkness? How good image quality in night mode?

4. If the light sensor is set to "Auto", will camera always be in "Night" mode like 942L or this camera have more sensitive sensor?

5. Is this true that camera cannot generate new (sub)folder every Month/Day/Hour on FTP-server like 930L and 942L do and just places all of the images into one folder on FTP-server?

8. Can i view live video in low resolution and simultaneously camera will send images to FTP-server in high resolution?

Thanks in advance for answers and sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native english speaker.

1&2:

Yes. Chrome and Firefox are fine. I run Kubuntu. I think Opera was ok too.
- they will all use java, firefox using its own internal code. ie / activex may give a slightly better performance, but that was only really important in figuring out and fiddling around with how to set things up. Once solid, haven't used it since.

IP Cam Viewer Lite works wonderfully on Android, as well.

Direct read via /video1.mjpg is also fine.

Just remember your bandwidth use. I run zoneminder, and prefer to view from there rather than from the camera directly (except when checking angles via Android). This means there's only one high priority stream winging around the network. I have two other computers showing monitors at low bandwidth, and the server itself at high bandwidth. This lets that server serve as it can, AFTER it's sure it's catching the incoming stream first. I've not been disappointed with the performance.

If I instead use ispy monitor, collect from a different computer, there's at least 2 streams going on then - cam to monitor, monitor to server. My underpowered computer withered under the load, and my network suffered, particularly while backups where throwing multi-gb backups all about. (GB & switches throughout the house.) [Note the zoneminder server above is substantially more powerful than this ispy test machine.]

The cam can and does whither under load. If I save to SD, and SMB, and monitor, I will have to reset every day or two. More often on wi-fi. If I just stream, it's been solid. This is at 1280x800 - what, 4x material as your prior cam.

3:

Yes. I was astonished, but then I'd never used such before. We got about 15' worth. Given DI/DO, you could combine with an external IR emitter and get more.

Would it be enough for a police id, possibly not. Which may not matter - if you can get a good image elsewhere, I expect what you need to show is that person there, is this person here.

It switches. You can tell as the image goes to or from B&W.

I believe I have seen a thread to that effect.

I'm not sure that that's bad, or at least not a showstopper. As files are accumulated, they become cumbersome no matter what scheme you use. So, I believe, one wants an easy script running 'constantly' watching the folder, moving thing around as convenient to you. So, for example, on zoneminder, the monitor / year / month / day / hour / minute / second structure just becomes a supreme PITA, traversing folders for 3 images, then to another, then to another.

I ended up writing a small script to move things to year-month-day / hour, AND link to those images in another folder. This lets me have one folder of links to quickly preview through, while maintaining all the other features.

If you are also going to do some sort of purge or archive process, say in two week increments, it also may not be an issue.

Don't remember, call it 10'. Product web page may tell you.

Except as noted, haven't had a problem. Mind you, I'm within 20' of the AP, on the middle floor of my 3 floor townhouse. Not quite line of sight.

Remember: In all cases, for anything - wi-fi = bad, wired = good. 100MBps, let alone 2GBps will always beat wi-fi. Let alone PoE.

When I tested wi-fi, like I said, at least every 2 days I had to reset the cam to bring it back.

When I tested elsewhere, maybe 40' from AP within a locked room, IP Cam Lite got slow and dropped. BUT - remember, at that point wi-fi is being used from cam to AP, and from AP to Android - by definition bandwidth just got halved. This would have been 65Mbps wi-fi at the time, at best. Divide wi-fi bandwidth by # of devices, plus a fudge factor, and that's all that any one device is going to get. Even if not actively used, each device will still be maintaining a heartbeat - wi-fi still there .... can you hear me now ... how about now ...

Do whatever you can to avoid wi-fi. Granted, not always possible. Dedicate or use different channels, if you can.

Yes. But remmber, YMMV per your particular situation. How glitchy or missed frames you get depends entirely upon that.

It's a wee little camera, and can't do everything it's capable of, simultaneously, without falling over. Repeatedly.

One thing I have learned in my experience - there are too many moving parts to all of this. One element or another will fall over, at different times for different reasons. Keeping an eye as to whether everything is still up, or not, is prudent.

GL&HF

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »

bs27975
Thanks for your reply!

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

for 2230

1) yes - but don't expect the camera to support many clients running as a server.   
2) samsung galaxy tab 10.1 -original - yes, through the cameras firmware, but you drop a lot of frames. and through the html .mjpg link.
3) it is decent enough.
4) night mode, auto, day, ics light - sync with nightmode, on, off.
5) 1 folder
6) the 2132l looks like about 7-8 ft.  the 2230 looks about 4 feet.  I found some pretty lightweight extension cords at staples.
7) no wifi issues here on asus nt-65r router.
8) yes

I'd also recommend you download the manuals from d-link.  The camera options are so much better on the 2230 and the quality is VERY good.  I just usually look at the .jpg image from my phone.

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »

Thank you for your answers, i'll think about 2230.