• April 25, 2024, 08:22:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router?  (Read 7654 times)

ronandrus

• Level 1 Member
Router?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »

Ok I have purchased a DIR-601 mainly for D-links  claim that it had parental controls that  restricted time on the internet on a computer by computer basis. The first model I bought had this claim of advanced parental controls on the box but not inside the router ( should have known ) but the stupid thing cost under $30.00 on sale. Couldn’t care less bout the money  since it will serve as a cheap enough  access point / switch in the future. However I was and still am desperate for time restrictions on my stunned kids that can’t seem to tear their faces off of their monitors. Anyway I found that the 601 had this functionality  in the router, or so I was led to believe because the virtual tour had the access control tab that was needed to initiate these so called parental controls. A  few hours of plugging in mac addresses and time profiles for several times and computers I wanted blocked came to no avail once the router was put in service since the stupid thing simply ignored my commands. I found a few more things that are non functional in this box. So I will list what I found.
DHCP server - Functional ( my 2000 server box could perform this function  it‘s not surprising this works)
N class radio - Functional ( well not a total loss I can use this as a high speed  wireless access point )
Switch & ports - Functional ( if these didn’t work it would be RMA right now )
Virtual server - Non Functional  ( you need  holes in your firewall to run a server on the net )
Access control - Non Functional ( parental controls )
Enable remote management - Non Functional ( Let’s you have access to your router settings from the net )
This last function made the box impossible to even leave in my system as a router since a main function of a router is to act as a firewall between the wan and lan. The setting was stuck on and anyone on the internet punching my ip into their browser was privy to my login screen and  simply had to hack one stupid password and my network is wide open. My server comes under attack from random attacks every month or so even with a functioning hardware firewall up.
So I see no updated firmware up for this, the interface is good but the router does not do as told, this unit is not serviceable as a router, I am wondering if this company is having problems finding good coders.
D-link do you care or know of these problems?

jerrry94087

• Level 1 Member
Re: Router?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:34 AM »

I don't feel the information here is correct.

> Enable remote management - Non Functional
Not true. I do manage it from the internet all the time. But you need to enable this first from inside the firewall.

> Virtual server - Non Functional
I have few ports open and holes do work.

I think that DIR-601 is a very solid router, but some functions aren't working (like parent control and filtering rules).

3r14nd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »

My DIR-601 likes to lose my setting in the Virtual Server area.   Always for 1 specific computer...

Waldon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »

I'm a newbie so excuse the terminology - I have a D-link 601 wireless router and am having issues with broadcasting outside of my camper.  If I stay with in 10 ft or so I get a strong signal but it decays quickly. I am thinking about buying a wireless DAP 1360 so I can go outside and use the wireless.  I was told it might be possible to take the antennas off the dap 1360, add longer cables/antenna to aid in extension.  We would like to use skype as our phone systems as there is not cell signals at all. 

ronandrus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:41:03 PM »

You should be opening your own thread with the  signal problem ... but anyway ... microwave signal has a hard time going through metal ... move your router to the window and you should be able to pick it up a couple of blocks away.
The guy that can access his router through the internet didn't understand my post ... I can't turn off this function, I have a couple of programs on my computer that can hack your router from the internet. if you give me your ip i can demonstrate ... but don't be shocked when you come home and weird things are happening with your network. So you can be confident you and maybe 2% of the people reading this have the ability of configuring your router from the internet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:51:02 PM by ronandrus »