• March 28, 2024, 11:43:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSL-520B no www but pings ok  (Read 10975 times)

KillerPancake

• Level 1 Member
DSL-520B no www but pings ok
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »

I picked up a new DSL-520B.  After running the quick setup (internal one, not the CD),  the modem connects successfully and obtains IP addresses, DNS etc.  Everything looks good.  VPI/VCI is correct as per the ISP.  DSL-520B firmware is the latest as per D-Link's website.  For some reason I cannot access any websites - the browser just sits with a blank screen and keeps trying (seeming for eternity).  It will never time out and return any sort of error of website not found.

What I CAN do is ping a website on the outside world - full response is received, no problem.  Above setup and testing was performed with a PC directly cabled to the modem, and modem in PPPoE mode.  Typically though I would have a wifi router connected and the modem in bridge mode.  So I also tried this setup.  Again, now with the router doing the login and modem in bridge mode, I still have no apparent issues with connecting and registering (IP, DNS, etc. all filled in and OK).  Still, no connected PC's can access any websites, but ping OK.  I also have a VOIP modem connected to the router and it has no problem connecting and the phone works.

So basically, since ping and the VOIP modem CAN access the outside world, but I cannot see any websites, as far as I have tested it seems that it's only website (TCP?) traffic that is not passing for some reason.

My old modem (ST 516) works OK.  When returned to service I can access websites.

I've been working with tech support at the ISP and so far they are not sure what's going on, so any help would really be appreciated!

KP

mtruchado

• Level 1 Member
Re: DSL-520B no www but pings ok
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »

I can think in one of the following:

Your browser is configured wrongly, either It uses a proxy settings that are incorrect or It is set in offline mode

The gateway is not configured in your computer, so when you send a request the request has no place where to go.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »

Try a factory reset of the modem and set up from scratch using the set up wizard?

PC 3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired LAN PC while testing.
  • Disable any downloading client software managers, i.e. Torrents or similar.

PC Web Browser Configurations
What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8, 9, 10 or 11, set compatibility mode and test again.
Disable any security browser Add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block or configure them to allow All Pages when connected to the router.
Clear all browser caches.
Be sure to log into the Admin account on the router.
Try turning off these features in Chrome:
Top right corner, little bars for options > Settings > Settings (on left) > Show advanced settings.
Uncheck these:
Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors
Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
Predict network actions to improve page load performance
Enable phishing and malware protection

I picked up a new DSL-520B.  After running the quick setup (internal one, not the CD),  the modem connects successfully and obtains IP addresses, DNS etc.  Everything looks good.  VPI/VCI is correct as per the ISP.  DSL-520B firmware is the latest as per D-Link's website.  For some reason I cannot access any websites - the browser just sits with a blank screen and keeps trying (seeming for eternity).  It will never time out and return any sort of error of website not found.

What I CAN do is ping a website on the outside world - full response is received, no problem.  Above setup and testing was performed with a PC directly cabled to the modem, and modem in PPPoE mode.  Typically though I would have a wifi router connected and the modem in bridge mode.  So I also tried this setup.  Again, now with the router doing the login and modem in bridge mode, I still have no apparent issues with connecting and registering (IP, DNS, etc. all filled in and OK).  Still, no connected PC's can access any websites, but ping OK.  I also have a VOIP modem connected to the router and it has no problem connecting and the phone works.

So basically, since ping and the VOIP modem CAN access the outside world, but I cannot see any websites, as far as I have tested it seems that it's only website (TCP?) traffic that is not passing for some reason.

My old modem (ST 516) works OK.  When returned to service I can access websites.

I've been working with tech support at the ISP and so far they are not sure what's going on, so any help would really be appreciated!

KP
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

KillerPancake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »

Thanks to all for the suggestions!  I've continued to play around with this to no avail.

- Any browser (IE, Chrome, FF) on any machine (PC, cellphone, tablet) all behave the same
- Firewall and browser settings on these machines make no difference
- Tried several factory resets and config'd from scratch, both PPoE and bridge modes, tried changing a few other settings

No luck at all.  The ONLY variable that makes any difference is the modem itself.  Both TD-8616 and ST516 do not have this issue with no extraordinary measures to make them work.

I think I have a really weird corner-case here of some sort with interaction between this modem and the specifics of the ISP's setup.

Any last suggestions?  I'm just going to hope for an FW update at some point that may solve this and leave the TD-8616 in place in the meantime.

Question: The modem came out of the box with the latest firmware installed.  Are there archived older versions of firmware available for this product anywhere?  I wouldn't mind downgrading a version or two just to see if perhaps my issue was introduced in a later version of FW.

Thanks!
KP

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

KillerPancake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »

Just to follow up and close the case here...

I went for a service upgrade from 6Mb/1Mb which was a copper-to-the-node service to 15Mb/1Mb fiber-to-the-node (unrelated to the modem issue - the upgraded service was pretty much the same price!).  Presumably, along with the change in service came a change in the connection to different equipment at the CO.  I thought it would be worth a try to see if the DSL-520B would have better luck with the new service and sure enough, it works perfectly.  It does seem that there was an odd corner-case of some sort between the DSL-520B and the previous gear at the CO.  All is well now, and thanks again to all who contributed info!

KP

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DSL-520B no www but pings ok (RESOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »

Sounds like a ISP service issue with the old service. Glad the new service works. Enjoy.  ;)