• March 28, 2024, 10:32:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP directory truncated  (Read 7437 times)

markwinder

FTP directory truncated
« on: March 29, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »

I have a directory with thousands of sub directories.  Through FTP only the first 1/4 or so show up in a "dir".  Is there a way to allow for more files/folders to display thorugh FTP?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: FTP directory truncated
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

You are currently only able to go 4 folder deep into your directories though FTP?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

markwinder

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »

I am not having a problem with directory depth, but with the directory being truncated at 2000 items.  With the latest firmware upgrade (1.05) I get the message in my FTP clients (DOS and IE 7):

226 - Output truncated to 2000 matches

I have about 16000 files and folders in the directory.  Is there a way to see them all?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »

So this simply happens if you have more then 2000 files in a folder? I am trying to replicate your issue but cannot?

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »

Many FTP servers truncate the ls output to 2000 against DoS attacks; maybe the DNS-323 one is one of them.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

Many FTP servers truncate the ls output to 2000 against DoS attacks; maybe the DNS-323 one is one of them.

Could you explain that a little further - or maybe provide a link to a site that does - I really can't conceptualize the connection between limiting the ls (or dir) output and a Denial of Service.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »

Hmm... You expect me to back my words up? What a strange request...  ;D

Here is a search result: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/226-output-truncated-f197.html

I at least remember some versions of ProFTP had this limitation. What FTP server does the DNS-323 use?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »

ahhh - it wasn't meant as a challenge - more of a request for elucidation - it's a new concept to me.

Edit --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link really wasn't that informative, but I see where they're coming from and a quick google shows it seems to be standard ftp practice - but - here's why I found it strange - a directory listing is a fairly simple task and does require that much in terms of resources.

Rather than do this through ftp - I went to a DOS prompt and listed the contents of a folder - 96,252 files - took about four minutes - this was across a gigabit network and network utilization never went above 1% and processor utilization (dual core 3GHz P4) never went above 4% - had I wanted I could have been doing quite a few other things with that server over that network.

I've actually seen (with a network analyser) what a DoS attack looks like (this particular one was caused by a misconfigured router) and I just could not vizualise a directory listing being able to chew up that level or resources, although extrapolating - 1% of a 1000mbps is 10 mbps, so on a slower WAN link, say a T1 (1.54mbps) link, that listing would have run for 45 minutes or more, so yes, it would/could qualify as Denial of Service
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:26:25 PM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

markwinder

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:45 PM »

The only thing I can think of is I have over 2000 folders (directories).  I haven't tested with a large number of files, but based on your results I would guess it works.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

I haven't seen any problem with over 2000 files I will have to try it with 2000 folders to see if I run into anything.

markwinder

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »

Thanks.  This issue makes it impossible to use the product for the purpose I bought it for, so I'm keen to help.  If you can't duplicate the problem I can send you my directory structure.

I can say that by re-organizing the directories so the tree is deeper with less breadth (< 2000 directories in each folder) it works, but it isn't a long-term solution for me.