• April 25, 2024, 02:07:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cant use with Modem.....  (Read 3619 times)

ravemeover

• Level 1 Member
Cant use with Modem.....
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone. I have been using an SMC-3100 Modem/router for my dsl connection. Now, what I have been doing is setting up the SMC as a "Bridge" and then I have my D-Link WBR-2310 connected to it and I use the Dlink to login to my PPPoE account. Now, since yesterday, it seems my internet company had a small connection problem, but when it cam back, the Dlink would no longer Login to PPPoE , it kept saying CONNECTING in the Dlink status page, but never did. Then, I reset my SMC and used it as the login device, to PPPoE, then connected the Dlink to simply take the signal from the SMC and all worked. So, can anyone figure out why My DLINK wont login to my PPPoE account? Like I said, I had the SMC setup as a bridge to the Dlink until the day my internet companies connection went down, then since then, I have to login through the modem(which is also a router) and set the dlink to simply take the connection from it as a Dynamic connection. I have the latest firmware installed, but cant find any for the SMC modem.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ravemeover

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cant use with Modem.....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »

Nobody can help?

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
Re: Cant use with Modem.....
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »

Dude,

This is a forum for DLINK problems - and there are lots of those - not ones with your service provider.

I'm not on a PPOE link at my home, so can't be more specific, but when I was, we had all sorts of issues once before tings got going again (sorry).

Your 2310 could have died, I guess you could do all the usual checks; LED's lit properly, change the cables for ones you know work etc, etc... sorry if this sounds like I'm on a help desk (I'm NOT by the way), but 30+ years in the IT business means it can sound like that), and I don't work for DLINK by the way...

Diagnosing problems with connections like this can be a very hard thing to do, as your provider may have changed some settings when their connection "went down". For example - they are renowned for having the kit on their side of the connection reset to default settings on a power out... or loading some kind of "standard" or "assumed" set-up when they install new hardware or upgrades in their network and NOT update an individual clients settings.

Some may charge you for "extra [so-called premium] features" like multiple or static IP addresses and the default settings in their kit says only ONE IP address via DHCP and your previous set up used three IP addresses. There are lots of possible things to go over with them (so you need to verify with them that they have your account settings properly restored).

Have you connected your PC to the modem DIRECTLY (not using the DLINK)? Does it work or fail horribly (did an Account setting change somewhere in the modem - or is the modem broken - did it get a power spike from the network and blow up)?

Have you power cycled the DLINK and verified it is not set to it's default settings (it's still set up properly)?

It might be worth while checking with the now very pretty but user unfriendly DLINK support web site for an FAQ about troubleshooting your connection? Does your provider have an FAQ like that too?

All obvious stuff, but easily overlooked when we are rushing and trying to get our links up and running.

I hate having to say that you might do worse than talking to your providers help desk - they usually know much less than their customers do abut how things work - but they at least could verify that the line out to the modem is good and that the settings from their perspective in the modem are good...

Good luck.