• April 23, 2024, 12:50:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File Access Issues, DNS-343  (Read 10205 times)

Stonehenge

• Level 1 Member
File Access Issues, DNS-343
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »

Curious problems with files once transferred to the DNS-343.  Windows, for the most part, acknowledges the existence of various files that programs will call for (pictures for screensavers, favorites for IE7, etc).  But, programs such as Outlook and Quicken will not open their respective data files once copied onto the 343.  Is this a security issue when passing data?  Thoughts?  Thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: File Access Issues, DNS-343
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:21 AM »

Question - is it that the application will not open the data file whilst it is stored on the DNS-323 - or - that the application will not open the data file after it has been stored on the DNS-323?

If you transfer the file back to the Windows system will Outlook & Quicken open it?

If it's the former it may relate to a "permissions" issue, if it's the latter, it would point to some sort of file corruption.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »

This problem may be due to the "opportunistic locking" feature of the Samba software.

Try setting Oplock to NO in the:  Advanced -> Network Access  section of the web GUI

Stonehenge

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »

It's the former.  Files work fine when stored locally.  Programs claim they are corrupt/unrecognizable when placed on the 343.  To be fair, .pst and qdata files were not made to be run on networks and can be problematic, though I've done it before on a less sophisticated NAS.  Incidentally, the oplocks were already set to off.  Are the permissions you mention relative to the 343, network protocols, programs, or other?  Thanks.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

To be fair, .pst and qdata files were not made to be run on networks and can be problematic, though I've done it before on a less sophisticated NAS. 
I have been running my quicken data (qdata files) off a NAS for over 10 years.  I currently store
my quicken data on a DNS-323 (RAID 1) so this is possible.  The "sophistication" of a Linux NAS,
with respect to window, is characterized primarily in the configuration of the SAMBA file sharing
software the NAS is running.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »

The permissions I refer to would be the linux access permissions which mig alludes to in the SAMBA configuration - there is no "real one-to-one" equivalence between linux permissions and windows permissions so the Windows security attribures can get lost in the translation.

FWIW - I'm not a Quicken user, but one of my clients is, and has been storing his data files on his server for many years with no problems - he is I might add in a "pure Windows" environment.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jtuttle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »

I've encountered the same problem with my Quicken file on my new DNS-320 in RAID 1. After saving to DNS-320, I'm unable to open it afterwards. I've been saving my Quicken file to a DNS-323 in RAID 1 for 8+ years with no problems whatsoever. Did you ever root cause the problem?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »

I've encountered the same problem with my Quicken file on my new DNS-320 in RAID 1. After saving to DNS-320, I'm unable to open it afterwards. I've been saving my Quicken file to a DNS-323 in RAID 1 for 8+ years with no problems whatsoever. Did you ever root cause the problem?

FYI. . . The post you're requesting a reply from is over 4 years old.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC