• April 23, 2024, 08:12:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 accessible but not "seen"  (Read 14021 times)

jjm

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 accessible but not "seen"
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »

Hello.  Apologies if this is a well documented issue, I couldn't find a previous post with this particular problem.

I picked up the DNS-323 this weekend, along with a WD Caviar Green 1TB Sata drive.  Installed the drive and connected the NAS as per the Quick Install Guide.  After powering up, I ran the Easy Search Utility, but found no drive listed (ie the box for "Network Storage Devices" is empty).  If I press the "Refresh" button it greys out momentarily, but nothing changes.

However, I can navigate to the NAS configuration screen via Windows Explorer, under "Network > DLINK-50ECB7 > web_page > goweb.htm.  The installed drive is accessible and I have been able to copy files to it.

My concern is that I don't think the device is being fully recognized by the computer/network.  Not only does it not show up in the Easy Search Utility, the ITunes server I configured is not recognized by ITunes.  And I worry that there may be some other features that may not work fully either (ie I haven't played with it enough to know what I'll want/need to use :)).

So, some info I hope will be useful:

Setup includes two computers (mine - Vista X64, new machine, and my wife's - Vista x86, about a year old), connected via a Linksys Etherfast Router (BEFSR41).  Router connected to cable.

DNS-323 had f/w 1.04 out of the box.  Did all of the setup with original firmware.  Flashed to 1.07 after initial setup (and failure to recognize in Easy Search).  ITunes setup after flashing to 1.07.  Have not tried out the 1.08 beta yet. (I assume it was not a problem to flash directly from 1.04 to 1.07)

Tried Easy Search Utility 3.8 (on CD), 4.4, and 4.7 beta.

When navigating to the NAS via Explorer, goweb.htm opens at address 192.168.1.100.  Not sure if this is significant or not.

Tried switching to different ports on the router.

My suspicion is that the problem is the router, as neither of the computers on my home network recognize the NAS fully, but both can navigate to it.  The router has the most current firmware.  I have not made any adjustments to the router configuration (hooked up and worked straight out of the box - installed about six months ago when my old 3-COM router died).  Is there a setting I should be adjusting?  Or is this a known Linksys issue?

Many thanks for any enlightenment on this :)

amellores2

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 accessible but not "seen"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:33:10 AM »

Hi jjm,

My apology about this late response, but here's what I can say on this, I may not think that it is a router issue yet because the router still gave an IP address (you said 192.168.1.100) to the DNS-323 which how you are able to access or navigate the interface of the NAS, and I think the NAS device is also configured fine, if you are just wondering if it may not work fine if the Easy search not being recognizing the NAS, maybe this is just a local policy your computers like, firewalls and other relative applications, try to look at the Workgroup names also just make sure the NAS and the computers all have the same Workgroup name.

Let me know, if you have any other concerns.

Cranky

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

I have almost the same problem...

I have the DNS-323 running off of my router.  There are a number of computers in the house, ranging from XP SP3 to Vista to Windows 7.  All of the computers can see the NAS box through Explorer.  However, when I run EasySearch 4.x, it does not see the DNS-323.  It did before (when I first set up the NAS), however it stopped seeing it a few weeks ago.

BT works fine (most of the time; it often hangs and I have to restart the NAS box).  I'm not using FTP or iTunes or any other features other than file storage.

I can map a drive on the 323 using Explorer, but obviously not via the EasySearch utility.

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »

I just started having the same problem. I have had the DNS-323 for some time now (6months +) and it has run fine connected to all the PCs in my home network as well as acting as a print server. Last week I went to use it and found it was suddenly a 'disconnected network drive'.

When I tried to remap the box using EzSearch , the box shows up but when you try to map the drive it just ends up in a loop asking for the username/password and failing to map.

I remapped the drive manually via Explorer and it worked that way and is accessible. However connecting this way does not appear to allow the print server to work as I can no longer print using the box.

Now the behaviour has spread and all the PCs on the network have the same problem.

Now obviously something has changed because it was all working fine but now doesn't. I am not sure exactly what though as I've spent quite some time now trying to troubleshoot it and can't work out what is wrong.

Can log into the box via the web admin page no problem.
Can map the drives using Explorer>Tools>Map Network Drive
Can read/write to the box after remapping manually.
Box shows up in uPnP discovery mode

Cannot map the drive using EzSearch
Cannot print via the print server function

All machines on the network are XP SP3.
Router is Linksys WRTG54
PCs all run Norton Internet Security 2009
PCs and box all on same workgroup name

In Norton network explorer the device is seen, recognised and is in the trusted zone for all PCs.

I like one of the above posters assume it is a security permissions issue somewhere but can't work out what is causing it specifically. Ideas ?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »

Most likely Norton is the cause of the issue. Did the DNS-323 change IP addresses or any updates to Norton or firmware update to the DNS-323?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Tullaian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »

It does appear to have been an IP address related issue with the DNS and has been resolved in my case by rebooting both the router and the DNS. I still don't know what caused it as the DNS is set to static IP address and it has never happened before. Presumably some software auto update reset something somewhere .. or something like that. Anyway, problem resolved.

mkchu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »

I have two DNS-323 on my network and I have a similar problem on one of them.  I purchased and installed them at different times over the last two years.
Both units are more or less identical.  They are connected to same Netgear switch.  They get their IP addresses from the same router (using DHCP).  They use the same identical Seagate 500 MB drives.  They have firmware 1.06 (I know it is not the latest).  There are only two differences between the two units:
1. Unit A is configured as RAID 1.  Unit B is configured as two independent drives.
2. On Unit A, the UPNP AV Server is off.  On Unit B, it is on.
After several days of reboot or on, Unit B disappears from Windows (specifically the Network in Windows Explorer).  I could not access Unit B from Windows Explorer.  However, I could still access Unit B via UPNP devices such as PS3 and Dlink DSM-520 media player and via the unit's configuration website.  The only solution is to go to Unit B configuration website and reboot it.  Then I could access Unit B from Windows.  I could access Unit B for several days without problem and until the problem happens again.  There is no problem with Unit A at all.  The strange thing is that when Unit B reboots, the DHCP server in the router assigns the same IP address.
I have three Windows computers: WinXP Pro 32, Vista Home Premium 32, Vista Home Premium 62.
Here is another strange thing.  I have the identical problem with a HP Color LaserJet 2605DN on my network.  After several day, I have to reboot the printer.
If I only have Unit B and the HP 2605DN, I would conclude something wrong with my network.  Then, how does one explain Unit A?
If I only have Unit A and Unit B, I would conclude something wrong with the DNS-323 firmware.  Then, how does one explain HP 2605DN?
I did not investigate this in great details because I just don't have the time and the equipments are located on different areas of the house.  Perhaps someone from Dlink or this forum could provide some insights.  Thanks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »

Did you statically set them to 2 different IP address's?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mkchu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:40:49 AM »

The IP address of all devices is obtained via DCHP.  It is not statically set.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »

The IP address of all devices is obtained via DCHP.  It is not statically set.

You'll find network servers to be much more reliable with static ip addresses - it's something you should consider doing.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:20:37 AM »

FWIW, I set all the NAS drives and network printers to static addresses, then I let the workstations use dynamic addressing.  The static addressed devices aren't likely to be moving around and be on and off, they're normally sitting waiting for a request. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mkchu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »

Interesting!  You are saying that DHCP is not perfect.  I will set the IP addresses statically.  But it will take some time because I have to find the original manuals of the router and have a plan/map.

JimD

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 02:41:41 AM »

If your router is like most, it will be assigning ip addresses starting up at around 100, ie 192.168.0.100.

You can use anything under that without conflict. You can check in the network center on Vista, check the status of your network connection, and you should be able to see which ip address is assigned to you. That will give you an idea of what range your dhcp server starts assigns at.

Jim

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:04 AM »

Yep, if you can access the control panel, it's easy to set a static IP address.  Check the router's configuration and use addresses outside the DHCP address pool, but in the same subnet.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.