• March 28, 2024, 11:04:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DAP-1522 is making me crazy!  (Read 56859 times)

misterdna

DAP-1522 is making me crazy!
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:55:19 AM »

Okay, I can't figure out if I have a defective DAP-1522, or what. First off, I have never been able to access the unit at http://DLINKAP when my computer is connected directly to the 1522 via ethernet, only 192.168.0.50 works to bring up the web interface.

Second, I have more than one AP at my house, but the DAP-1522 is the only networking device I have have problems with (I am using the unit in AP mode). Basically, the problem is the wireless connection usually is much slower than my other APs (both N and G), even when the computer is physically right next to the DAP-1522. And that's when the unit is at it's best. At it's worst, I can't connect to the internet at all, even though my laptop shows full signal strength. The 1522 just seems really finicky. The problem doesn't seem to be a networking issue, because a 2nd AP that is connected through the wired portion of the DAP-1522 works perfectly, implying the 1522 is having no networking issues when using the ethernet ports. But since the problems persist with full signal strength and with the computer right next to the 1522, it doesn't seem to be a wireless connection issue either. And I have no problems connecting to any other wireless APs I own (and I own about 5 others, not that I use them all at the same time).

If I could, I would return my 1522, but I've been tinkering with it for too long now to return it. It has caused me a ton of frustration. I had a wired-only router for a long time (hence the purchase of the 1522), but just bought a new wireless-N router that is performing perfectly (as a router, and as an N AP). I hoped the old router might have not been playing nice with the 1522, but have seen no improvement with the 1522 wired to the new router (on opposite ends of my home).

Note that I use Macs only, no Windows machines. I started with the 1.02 firmware for the 1522, now have 1.20 firmware, but have noticed no improvements with my issues.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:04:28 AM by misterdna »

anon

• Level 3 Member
Re: DAP-1522 is making me crazy!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »

How exactly do you have the dap-1522 connected?

misterdna

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »

Currently, DAP-1522 is connected to router via ethernet (which is connected ethernet to cable modem via ethernet). But when I'm changing settings, I connect my laptop directly to the DAP-1522 via ethernet (can't seem to figure out any other way to access the 1522).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:59:45 AM by misterdna »

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »

Have you tried a hard restart? Also different channels and channel width.

misterdna

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »

Have you tried a hard restart? Also different channels and channel width.
I've spent more time experimenting with settings. Originally had it set to use the Auto Channel Scan feature, and then tried manually a few different channels... No change with the performance issues. Also tried both the 20 and auto 20/40 width setting, and neither setting has fixed my problems.

I tried a hard reset too, no difference. Basically, even when the DAP-1522 is very close to our laptops (my wife's has G and mine has N), and the 1522 shows the strongest wireless signal, the performance for accessing web pages, etc. is almost always much slower than when we are connected to my other WAPs. And sometimes pages just don't load at all. All in all, just very undependable.

My other two devices, an old Airport Express G router (used as AP, not in router mode), and a new SMC N router, both give me great results, always loading web pages quickly.

Any other suggestions/advice? I haven't ever contacted D-Link support, as I've found boards like these typically give better results (and don't require lots and lots of time on the phone repeating steps I've already tried). But I'm still wondering if perhaps I have a lemon...

BTW, can anyone address my comment about "http://DLINKAP" never working right for me, even when I connect my laptop directly to the DAP-1522 (and have no other wired or wireless connection)? Does it work for everyone else? Heck, if I type it in right now, I got to a parked internet website, not to the router.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:41:40 AM by misterdna »

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »

Have you tried giving it a static ip address?

misterdna

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »

I had the DAP-1522 being assigned to a never-expiring IP by the router, but just tried it using a static IP, and couldn't get any pages (or network devices) to load while connected to it. Router still saw the 1522 fine, and I could still access the 1522 at it's (now static) IP address when connected through a different AP.

Can you/anyone please address my question about "http://DLINKAP" never working for me from day one (with or w/o static IP, etc.)? Just seems weird that this very basic connection address has never worked for me -- and odd that someone besides D-Link owns the domain name DLINKAP.com (which is what I get if I'm connected to the internet).

EDIT: Just to add more info, I can connect directly (wirelessly) to the 1522 fine with the static IP setting (and I can connect to the 1522 via another AP on the network), but I'm not getting any web pages (or network devices) with the static IP setting, when connected (wirelessly) to the 1522. When I put the 1522 back to the dynamic IP setting, I am able to get online. In fact, the 1522 seems to be working better after going back and forth with the IP setting. Since the behavior has been sporadic, I'm not holding my breath... But maybe now it's working okay? Well, the "http://DLINKAP" address still isn't working.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:41:23 PM by misterdna »

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »

When you connect the dap-1522 directly to the modem do you still get these problems?
Also what is the switch on the back set to?
Which browser are you using when you try http://dlinkap?
What security mode are you using?
What 802.11 band is it set to?

misterdna

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

When you connect the dap-1522 directly to the modem do you still get these problems?
Would never occur to me to try this, since this is an AP, not a router.

Also what is the switch on the back set to?
As mentioned in my first post, unit is in AP mode.

Which browser are you using when you try http://dlinkap?
Firefox and Safari (remember, I'm on a Mac).

What security mode are you using?
WPA Personal

What 802.11 band is it set to?
G and N
I have to admit, I'm starting to feel frustrated, like you're putting me through the ringer with question after question after question. Do you realize you haven't given me one hint of an answer, only question after question? Think you can throw me a bone give me just a give me a tiny bit of feedback, a few thoughts, ideas on what my problem is, anything but another question? I mean, I assume this thing should work for most people without having to tweak every setting, right? There are probably millions of possible setting combinations for this thing, and I have already spent so much time with it (before I posted my question on this board) that I am not sure I am up for spending more time with it with zero constructive feedback. As the thread titles state, the DAP-1522 was driving me crazy, and any more questions without any answers at all will probably send me over the deep end.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »

Simple reason for the questions is to find out what you have and haven't tried yet. By band mode I meant 2.4GHz or 5GHz. When you have security mode off is it still slow? I'll stop with those. My last thing would be to try and connect it directly to a pc and start over (hard restart) with a static ip that is not in use and not one from any router. Also try putting the switch on the back to auto. See what happens when you try to connect to one of the routers. There was a post that said it could be software on the pc thats blocking dlinkap. Once you've done setup, connect it to the router and see if it works better.

misterdna

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »

Am using 2.4GHz because my wife's laptop is only G compatible. Her computer has even more problems with connecting to the DAP-1522... And I haven't tried with security off. Are you thinking I could have a wireless security setting wrong?

Regardless of those issue, the connection problems are totally sporadic for both of us -- I can always connect, but network info is often slow, sometimes not there. However, my wife's G computer often can't connect at all (in both cases, we are practically next to device, it shows full signal strength).

I feel like I'm begging you to address the fact that the http://dlinkap never works for me. Is there a known issue with this link working with Macs? As I explained. my inability to connect to this address exists in all situations, including when the 1522 is connected directly to my Mac via ethernet, and there is no connection (wired or wireless) to any external network. Thus, there's no way wireless settings are related to this issue. The only explanations in my mind are (1) there's a known issue with this link working on current Macs, or (2) my DAP-1522 is defective. Could you or anyone please weigh in on this specific issue? If I get no other answer, that is the one thing I really would like feedback on. As a reminder, I have hard-reset my device, used the original and current firmware, but in all situations, the link http://dlinkap has never worked for me since day one. However, I have zero problems connecting to the 1522 using the IP address.

I guess it's hard for me, a newbie to this device, wondering if you are trying to troubleshoot:
(1) general network and wireless issues and standard DAP-1522 network/wireess settings, or
(2) DAP-1522 known-issues, bugs, or generally missed or strange 1522 settings that screw many people up.
I think, at this point, I'm really interested in advice regarding #2. I feel confident enough that I have worked through #1, having successfully set up a lot of devices on my home networks, including old and new routers from a variety of manufacturers (some have been used as wireless access points), an IP camera (with lots of advanced settings), an IP robot (with lots of advanced settins), my TiVo, used port forwarding, DMZ, etc.

So I guess I explained the info I'm dying to get from someone who knows the 1522. Regardless, I'll probably try one more hard reset, configure all the settings again, and give it one more try. If that doesn't make this AP work up to the level of my other APs, I guess I'll assume I have a broken unit, and I'll do what I can to get D-Link to replace it under warranty. If I get a new one with zero issues, I'll kick myself for all the hours I've wasted trying to troubleshoot this thing (mostly done before I joined this board).

Anyone know the quickest path to getting D-Link to warranty replace this thing?

Thanks for helping me out.!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:51:41 AM by misterdna »

tamalero

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »

tried setting the channel manually?
I have a DIR-655
and the DAP-1522 was insanely slow when I set the DIR-655's auto channel selection
setting them manually to channel 11 ( 20-70MHz on channel 7 ) , the studdering dissapeared and got a speedboost on transfers ( even when the signal streght stays the same )

misterdna

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »

tried setting the channel manually?
I have a DIR-655
and the DAP-1522 was insanely slow when I set the DIR-655's auto channel selection
setting them manually to channel 11 ( 20-70MHz on channel 7 ) , the studdering dissapeared and got a speedboost on transfers ( even when the signal streght stays the same )

As mentioned in my early questioning, yes, I've done manual and auto channel select.

I'm going to abandon all my other questions, and just repeat this single question:

The link http://dlinkap never works for me. Is there a known issue with this link working with Macs? As I explained. my inability to connect to this address exists in all situations, including when the 1522 is connected directly to my Mac via ethernet, and there is no connection (wired or wireless) to any external network. Thus, there's no way wireless settings are related to this issue. The only explanations in my mind are (1) there's a known issue with this link working on current Macs, or (2) my DAP-1522 is defective. Could you or anyone please weigh in on this specific issue? If I get no other answer, that is the one thing I really would like feedback on. As a reminder, I have hard-reset my device, used the original and current firmware, but in all situations, the link http://dlinkap has never worked for me since day one. However, I have zero problems connecting to the 1522 using the IP address.

tamalero

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

btw, you're still using 1.20?
because it seems to have been removed.

also, have you tried in a PC?
I think its the only way to see if its a "naming" problem related to DLINK hardware and MACS
because I dont have your problem. ( note, my DAP-1522 came with 1.10 from the factory )

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »

I'm going to abandon all my other questions, and just repeat this single question:

The link http://dlinkap never works for me. Is there a known issue with this link working with Macs?
There is a network device called a DNS or Domain Name Server.  The purpose of this device is <NetBIOS name resolution is used to> translate the name of all devices on the network to their Ethernet IP address.  If your DNS <NetBIOS name resolution> is not working properly, or a device has not properly registered it's name and IP address with the DNS <NetBIOS name resolution>, or you renamed the the DAP-1522, then you will not be able to access a device by it's default name 'dlinkap', only by it's IP address '192.168.0.50. 

It seems to me that this is the symptom you are seeing - access by IP address but not by name.

Look on the 'network settings' page to see what 'lan connection type' and 'device name' you have set of your DAP-1522

:-[ EDITED: to replace incorrect DNS with NetBIOS name resolution
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:11:40 AM by mig »
Pages: [1] 2 3