• March 28, 2024, 09:48:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SMB share from Mac causes drives to not spin down  (Read 2802 times)

jlowe_2

• Level 1 Member
SMB share from Mac causes drives to not spin down
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »

If I connect to my dns-323 through a smb share from my mac the drives will not spin down in my dns-323.  There is a constant blinking of the activity lights, as if some sort of keep alive is being issued.  As soon as I disconnect the smb share the blinking stops, and the drives will spin down after the configured amount of time has passed.  Is this something that I need to configure to not do on the Mac side, or is this an issue with the dns-323 and smb shares.  I do not have anything (programs) actively running on the Mac accessing the dns-323 through the smb share when this is happening, I just have the share connected.

lookingforinfo

Re: SMB share from Mac causes drives to not spin down
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »

For what it is worth, I have the same basic configuration.  I see the Network Activity Light blink but the two Drive Lights remain solid.  Based on the delay when I use Finder on either volumes I have to believe the drives are asleep.  I would not worry about this issue.

Peace.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »

The drive lights are always on, even if the drives are hibernating.
I wonder if a background process on the mac is accessing the share while it's active. I don't know much about Macs, can you see a "task manager" or "top" equivalent?
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

jlowe_2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I wanted to add that not only does the network activity light blink but the two drive lights blink in unison with the network activity light, and I hear light clicking noise in unison with the lights.  As soon as I disconnect the blinking and noise go away.  And it doesn't appear they are asleep anyway because there is no delay in access, as there is when they are actually asleep.

I guess it is not a big deal, at the moment I am not needing to access the nas from the mac all the time.  Just odd behavior, and it doesn't seem to be the same for everybody.

I might look for something running in the background....

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

You can usually tell if a drive is on by the noise and vibration of the chasis. You can also slide the front panel up and place a finger on each drive to feel if it's on or not.

It's not iTunes indexing media files is it? I'm betting some process is scanning the contents of the share. Do Macs have anti virus software? I know on Windows they can be configured to scan network drives.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:10:19 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!