• April 24, 2024, 12:27:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-920: Poor image quality, light sesitivity issues  (Read 4776 times)

csacoma1

• Level 1 Member
DCS-920: Poor image quality, light sesitivity issues
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »

I have the DCS-920 IP camera.  I am finding the image quality to be very poor.  The camera is advertised as 1.0 lux, and thus should be decent in low light.  I am not able to view anything in medium-low light.  The DCS-900 which I am replacing has MUCH better low light capabilities.  So, you would think then that the high light capabilities would be better.  This is not true at all, when the light level gets to medium-high all details turn white.

So, all I get with low light is black and all I get with high light is white.

Is there a setting that I need to change, or is this inherent to this model?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:19:00 PM by csacoma1 »

!!!!clarkkent

• Level 3 Member
Re: DCS-920: Poor image quality, light sesitivity issues
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »

Have you tried turning off the LED of the camera? Sometimes, even if you're on low light, the camera is takes the flickering of its own LED light.
"A mighty sword is useless in the hands of a coward!"

csacoma1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

Have you tried turning off the LED of the camera? Sometimes, even if you're on low light, the camera is takes the flickering of its own LED light.

I have, it does not help in the low light situation.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »

Have you tried the D-ViewCam V3.x? They have an option to lighten up Playback (and save that as a movie).
The 920 in general is a little weak in low-light, but still should have good visibility anyhow. Dunno how good the 900 is, but as the saying goes: Newer is not always better...

csacoma1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

I have tried the v3 software, but I have not found any place in there to adjust the light sensitivity.  I do not do any recording, I only use the camera for live viewing, so adjusting the movie setting would not help me much.  This camera was advertised as 1.0 lux, so I assumed it would at least pick up in lower lighting with lights.  I am not sure what the 900 was, like 2.0 or 3.0 maybe, but it defiantly picked up more light than the 920.  I did change the picture quality from medium to high, and that SEEMED to help with the wash-out at higher light.

lemonhead

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »

I had a similar issue.  I called Tech support.  They told me to return the camera.  Just for the heck of it I i took a look at the camera and noticed the silver oval located around the lens of the camera..I started to rotate this mechanism (I assume the lens) and presto my picture was now clear...Even at night when facing my front porch which has low-lite it displays ok..

csacoma1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »

The picture is clearer now that I changed from medium to high, but it still does not pick up any low light at all... not even a super dim picture, just total blackness.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:27:27 AM by csacoma1 »

csacoma1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »

No ideas huh...

Does anyone know of a better model for low light, or a better brand for that matter.