• March 28, 2024, 03:10:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot select 'configuration' button (plugged directly into PC)  (Read 5445 times)

asa5044

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

The DNS-323 is plugged into my PC (Windows 7 64bit) via ethernet

On the easy search utility after downloading 4.7.0.0 (just to get the DNS-323 appear in the box), I cannot select the 'configuration' button when I highlight the device. It also hasn't appeared in Windows.

I've scoured the web but similar solutions are for when the device is plugged into a router, not directly into a PC. I looked to install the 1.08 firmware but I need to acces the device, which is what I'm stuck on!

I installed a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green WD15EARS and the left HDD light on the DNS has lit so it's recognized.

If it helps, firmware is 1.07 and of course I'll give further info.

Thanks in advance

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Cannot select 'configuration' button (plugged directly into PC)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

Are you able to plug the NAS in to a router? It would be easier if you could as it will get an IP address automatically with DHCP. Then you can use an internet browser to go to that IP and configure the NAS. You don't actually need to use the Easy Search Utility in that instance.

As for why your configuration button is greyed out I'm not sure. I had read that the default IP address of the NAS is 192.168.0.32. If that is true, you could try changing your local network IP address on your computer to 192.168.0.31 so that you are on the same subnet as the NAS and your computer can talk to the NAS. Then you could try accessing 192.168.0.32 in a web browser or try the Easy Search Utility again.

Other suggestions would be to disable any software firewalls or reset the DNS-323 with a pin.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

If your plan is to use the DNS-323 directly connected to your PC via an ethernet port, I would suggest you put it back in the box and return it, and get youself a USB enclosure instead - you'll save yourself a lot of frustration - this is designed to be a NAS (network attached storage) not DAS (direct attached storage).

You cannot configure the DNS-323 because you cannot communicate with it due to the lack of ip addressing on your direct connection - the Easy Search Utility will find it because it uses broadcast technology, but nothing else will work - unless - you configure the network correctly.

I suggest you plug both the DNS-323 and the PC into your router where they will both get suitable ip addresses using DHCP and your problem will simply disappear.

You can also configure appropriate static ip addresses and directly connect the two as you are attempting to do, but unless you have a fairly good idea of what you're doing, you will end up in grief sooner or later.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »

If your plan is to use the DNS-323 directly connected to your PC via an ethernet port, I would suggest you put it back in the box and return it, and get youself a USB enclosure instead - you'll save yourself a lot of frustration - this is designed to be a NAS (network attached storage) not DAS (direct attached storage).

Agreed. You'll have much better performance too.

asa5044

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »

Thanks to all of the replies.

I bought the DNS-323 as I'll be moving house soon and will use it then as a NAS. I hoped to set it up now so everything is sorted so it's one less thing to deal with when moving homes. At the moment it is difficult to set it up as a NAS at the moment but I'll try it if I have an opportunity.

I'm relieved that the problem is that it is plugged into the PC and not hard drive compatibility related (2 x 1.5Tb WD Caviar Green WD15EARS are a big wedge but recommended!).

I will change the ip on my PC (as jamieburchell suggested) but if it doesn't work, I won't worry and wait till I move.

Again, thanks for your help.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:12 AM »

I hate to rain on your parade, but you may have issues using those new drives in your DNS-323. It seems they are "Advanced Format" drives that require some magic tricks to get them to work properly in the NAS.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12945.0

asa5044

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:22:14 AM »

Update:

I changed my PC's IP address and everything is working fine  ;D and I can configure and setup the DNS-323.

I've popped in 2 x 1.5Tb Caviar Green HDDs in Raid 1 and the hard drives were formatted without problems and currently copying my media files to it (approx 700Gb of data). I will keep an extra backup as there are some documented problems with Advanced Format HDDs but for me personally, so far so good.

The DNS-323 comes up in Windows and is working fine.