• April 26, 2024, 03:27:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems With Streaming Media  (Read 7390 times)

Dekoth

Problems With Streaming Media
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »

I recently upgraded to the DGL-4500. I had a Netgear Rangemax previously that I have had for years. So far my experience overall with the router is extremely positive, something i cannot say for my past experiences with older Dlink routers. However for the life of me I cannot get my Media files to Stream to my PS3 or my Netgear EVA700. These both worked just fine on my Netgear, and the only reason I upgraded routers is because my netgear was starting to give some errors and randomly block sites, that and i wanted a gigabit lan anyhow. They are both on a wireless connection, the PS3 still accesses the internet just fine. It simply does not see Tversity, or Windows Media Center, even though I have set up the router with Special applications rules etc. If I plug my netgear back in, the media servers are instantly seen. i have tried special applications, virtual server and just nothing.

It is highly frustrating because I am used to the Netgear way of typing in an application name and the ports it uses and the router seeing it and letting it through without problem. Everything else is working fantastic, and I have to admit I am extremely pleased with the router (Never thought I would say that about a dlink), I even saw a latency drop and speed improvement over my old router which I am very pleased with. But I simply have to have my media servers working, the entire point of me upgrading instead of buying a new rangemax was because the rangemax just doesn't have the wireless speed for HD content without a ton of stuttering. Now what gets me is it appears the Netgear is not even being allowed on the network. The authentication is good and it even appears in the connected devices list, but it is being given the dreaded 169 address. Any attempts to connect to a url with it are met with url cannot be found.  So I am at a loss here, All devices 3 computers, PS3, Wii and 360 all connect to the net just fine. The netgear does not connect to the net even thought it is in the list just like everything else, and No devices see a media server either Tversity or Media center. For the record Tversity is far more important to me simply because it transcodes on the fly and Media center does not.

Important stuff
router Firmware - 1.02
Both computers are Vista 64Bit Sp1
Network is Private
Security Mode WPA Private
WPA mode is Auto WPA or WPA2
Cipher TKIP AES

All security keys, passwords etc are 100% identical to my old network setup. The only thing that has changed is the router, and the fact that Special applications seems to be the same as netgear's port opening...just that it does not appear to actually work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:52:22 AM by Dekoth »

Dekoth

Re: Problems With Streaming Media
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »

Additional information.

Since an answer was not quickly forthcoming  I did some additional work on the router. I disabled the wireless security I was using temporarily. Windows Media was instantly let through, though for some odd reason Tversity was not. A few resets later and some more tinkering around and Tversity came through as well as well as the Netgear EVA700. Now the moment I turned security on, Both Media servers were gone and the Netgear went right back to 169 address's. Despite multiple configuration settings and verifying that the netgear was using the same wireless settings nothing. The router simple refuses to allow the media servers access when security is on. Now this seems to indicate to me that the Special Applications exceptions are simply flat not working. Security off, everything works. Security on everything ceases. For the record the PS3, Wii and 360 all connect to the net just fine with security on, but likewise none see the media servers.

So the problem I am having here is the Router is blocking Media server traffic, as well as a Media device and no amount of exceptions plugged in seem to be recognized. Also no security is not a option, I had 3 idiots on my network trying to share within minutes of me removing security (yay for Townhouse complexes).

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

this particular router has a feature called WI-FI protected setup- this feature may be stopping you from connecting with security, also, what level of security are you using? WEP WPA WPA2? some devices only support certain kinds of security... if no security is not an option and with wireless security its not allowing you to connect you could try locking your router with MAC filtering so that only the devices with the Mac address listed on the filter page can connect to the router no matter what the circumstances.. its actually a better security then just WEP or WPA.

Dekoth

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »

I am using Auto WPA or WPA2 since you are right i have a mixture of devices here and they all support differently. I had thought about Mac filtering, but I prefer not to do that if I can help it. I use a number of mobile devices and people come over from time to time that I would rather give them a passkey vs add them as a mac ID if I can help it.

I have seen the wifi protected setup, I pretty much ignored it figuring any "rule exception" I plugged in would be treated as just that..an exception.

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »

Try WEP... set for Auth-open key type-HEX and 64bit Encryption... see if that helps, if it does not then the next step would be to crash and reload the firmware to the router because it should not be this difficult with security turned on.

Dekoth

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »

Meant to update.

It appears that wifi protected overrides any other security setting for wireless. The moment I disabled it, everything started working. The Dlink guys should likely be aware of that. I am using my standard WPA security that I have always used and all my Media servers work now. So it appears you can have WPA or Wifi protected..but not both.

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

I will make a note of that for my self as well Ty for the follow up and I am glad everthing is working now.