• March 28, 2024, 06:37:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.13" for D-Link NAS  (Read 21061 times)

josu

• Level 2 Member
about the new release... 1080 mkv and h265 new codec are available?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »

Hi:
I have these limitacions in last release:
H265 codec is able to decode?
is able to decode 1080 mkv?

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
Re: about the new release... 1080 mkv and h265 new codec are available?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »

Hi:
I have these limitacions in last release:
H265 codec is able to decode?
is able to decode 1080 mkv?

Tired of repeating - this NAS transcoding is not possible. Hardware limitations. It will be on the new models. In the current model is only possible offline transcoding.
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version
* Detailed Description of your Issue
Donate: http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/donate.php

josu

• Level 2 Member
Re: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.13" for D-Link NAS
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 05:00:48 AM »

so I have to get a new one model if I want mkv.
Which models support this feature with 2 bays and with 4 bays please
And the most important question:
I have 1 hdd 3tb in my dns 320l.  I hope it would not be such easy as "get out the hdd from dns 320 and move physically to the new one dns model called XXX in order to get the hdd working as file server?
I am not worried about apps because I can reinstall them all again..but file format is compatible from dns 320l to a better model without reformat?

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »

I was trying to get Plex working on my 320L and my new Apple TV, but I'm getting an error through the official Plex app stating that I need to upgrade, you've been REALLY great at releasing these, but I also don't know how long it usually takes for you to get everything up and going. Do you think it would happen in the next few weeks? I'd love it if the answer was yes :)

I only last week updated the Plex. I am not able to do it every week.

Of course, I was not expecting you would. The 320L is new to me and I just didn't know if it might be coming within a few weeks.

You do all of this and ask very little. It is incredibly appreciated, and I don't think any of us would be right to insult you by asking for it to be updated right now. 

Again, thank you for all you do.

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

I personally do not use Plex. What is interesting to me to update it as often?
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »

I personally do not use Plex. What is interesting to me to update it as often?

It wouldn't be necessary, but I guess the Plex server interface, at least on the new Apple TV, requires the current version of Plex to be installed on the server.

I was able to call from Plex, and use SimPlex, but when I would try to use the official version, which offers far more options, it tells me that the current version of Plex is out of date and needs to be updated, it won't even run, which is really frustrating.

I doubt there's much difference between the old versions and the new, but there doesn't seem to be a way to bypass its requirement.

madmorgan007

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »

Hi,

once this add on has been updated I would like to know how you do the update. the detail of you download xx from Plex site and you do X and Y to the package then you can upload to your box.

Thanks

felobo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »

It wouldn't be necessary, but I guess the Plex server interface, at least on the new Apple TV, requires the current version of Plex to be installed on the server.
I was able to call from Plex, and use SimPlex, but when I would try to use the official version, which offers far more options, it tells me that the current version of Plex is out of date and needs to be updated, it won't even run, which is really frustrating.
I doubt there's much difference between the old versions and the new, but there doesn't seem to be a way to bypass its requirement.
[/quote]

Same here, I have the "need to upgrade", I guess as more people buy the new AppleTV the new update of the Plex add on will be more and more appreciated, The new Plex app for the Apple Tv does work quite well (very nice to navigate with the siri remote).

There are a couple of things that I haven't understood about plex on the Dlink 320L:  since transcoding is not possible  what video files can I play from the 320L to the Apple TV through LAN and what I cannot play?. Also,what is offline transcoding?

If it's only possible to play .mp4 (no AVI, no mkv), then I think I would have to look for replacing the 320 L

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:11:31 PM by felobo »

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »

There are a couple of things that I haven't understood about plex on the Dlink 320L:  since transcoding is not possible  what video files can I play from the 320L to the Apple TV through LAN and what I cannot play?. Also,what is offline transcoding?

If it's only possible to play .mp4 (no AVI, no mkv), then I think I would have to look for replacing the 320 L

You are learning a lesson and a hard one (and I must remind myself I'm not allowed to criticize D Link or it's devices.

That said and as vtverdohleb and me and many others have said previously the 320L cannot transcode basically meaning whatever device you are streaming to can only "use" file types that the device "will play"

example if your tv or media player only supports avi and mpeg2 then you can only stream those files types.

To make my 320L more user friendly I have the same version of kodi installed on an android tv box (main use), my pc + a tablet and mobile (hardly used now).  The database is stored on the 320L and the android tv box with kodi can play almost any media I've thrown at it.

Plex is a poor man's (but paid for premium) version IMHO of kodi - you can do much, much more with kodi (free) than Plex.

And if you want vtverdohleb to upgrade Plex why not show him some well deserved appreciation by paying (donating) for his efforts because without vtverdohleb your D Link would be absolutely abysmal IMHO.  vtverdohleb does all this as a sideline/hobby and big respect to him.

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »

Infuse, VideoExplorer, NAStify all work to stream to the Apple TV with no transcoding required.

Plex is now mainly for the channels, but that's only for the official app and Simplex doesn't work for it.

Infuse will be out in a few months, and ties in beautifully to the 320/320L

As for getting a NAS that CAN transcode, get ready to shell out multiples of hundreds more to find a capable device. They aren't easy to find and often require a lot more to get up and going.

The 320L is a nice, well built and sturdy machine. Transcoding isn't necessary because the previous gens had no problem playing 30+ gig files with ease, now you get that and don't have to jailbreak. To me that's pretty fantastic considering the device is cheap as dirt.

I have mad kudos to the dev who is making this happen for us, I have multiple add one that he's created and saved me from having to do command line installs, that is huge for me.

Same here, I have the "need to upgrade", I guess as more people buy the new AppleTV the new update of the Plex add on will be more and more appreciated, The new Plex app for the Apple Tv does work quite well (very nice to navigate with the siri remote).

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:13:15 AM by andsoitgoes »

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »

Apple TV 3rd gen?  I don't  (and will never) own an Apple device  that said a quick google search states

Video Formats

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

from here  https://support.apple.com/kb/SP648?locale=en_US

I maybe totally wrong but what I understand is the receiving device doesn't need to transcode

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »

The 3rd gen isn't really a part of the discussion, as it only offers stock apple apps, I'm pretty sure the person above was talking about the new Apple TV that can have 3rd party apps installed separately from the OS.

As I mentioned, the apple tv 2, that I have Jailbroken, can play damn near anything I throw at it. The ATV3 probably can as well, but there's no way to directly stream files natively, and you can't install an app that can do that, so it would have to be done on something like an iPad or iPhone, either with a server based app where the transcoding is done on a computer (Air Video, PLEX, etc.) or something like Infuse which can hook into the processing of the device (iPad or iPhone) and airplay that to the TV. The same would apply for the Apple TV 3.

So if you have a player (like the many I mentioned that are available on the app store) then the Apple TV 4 (the current one that can install apps) is able to do the work and transcode pretty much anything.

Apple TV 3rd gen?  I don't  (and will never) own an Apple device  that said a quick google search states

Video Formats

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

from here  https://support.apple.com/kb/SP648?locale=en_US

I maybe totally wrong but what I understand is the receiving device doesn't need to transcode

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »

The Apple "standard" only for his fans. And if 90-95% of the other devices are working correctly is problems Apple.
p.s. I personally don't like apples ;)
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »

The Apple "standard" only for his fans. And if 90-95% of the other devices are working correctly is problems Apple.
p.s. I personally don't like apples ;)

I think you misunderstand, everything is fine but Plex requires the most current update to work, I wasn't able to get anywhere on any of my devices, Windows or otherwise.

I do agree Apple is very restrictive with a lot of their things, but I honestly don't mind it. I did 8 years ago, but now I'm happy with what I've got :)

felobo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

Many thanks for all your comments and inputs.
I have tried video explorer and I can access the plex server on the 320L and play all types of files (mkv, AVI, etc) , what proves that the Apple TV is able to play them without the need of transcoding.
As a matter of fact, the latest update for the plex server has a one of the main features to improve direct play on the Apple TV :

Version 0.9.12.19.1537
Improvements

Improved subtitle handling on Apple TV
Improved Direct Play support on Apple TV

This would solve all the problems, as on the one hand we get the nice features of Plex and on the other hand we avoid transcoding, which has a loss in quality, even if the 320L could handle it (which can't).

Video explorer and the other video apps have a very poor organization and presentation systems.

I'm ready to donate to vtverdohleb together with other users interested in the new update.

There is still one thing I don't quite get yet: when I try to play videos from the plex server on my computer I get the message "your server doesnt have the power to transcode", why doesn't play it directly?, the computer can sure take any encoding. Is it a problem with the web player? are there any apps to play the files directly from the plex server?

Thanks again, cheers 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:35:04 PM by felobo »
Pages: 1 [2] 3