• April 20, 2024, 03:10:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Linking the 655 to my switch and cable modem - please help  (Read 15156 times)

OverlordvI

Re: Linking the 655 to my switch and cable modem - please help
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »

Based off this post: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/921066.html

It seems like the cable modem is already in bridge mode.  I've tried the WAN DHCP but I still can't get the rest of my network operational.

Cable modem (natively bridged) <> 655 (WAN DHCP) <> switch <> computers

Please help!

SSD

twk3

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

Are the computers receiving an IP and connecting at all?

tvBilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 05:53:03 PM »

Based off this post: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/921066.html

It seems like the cable modem is already in bridge mode.
Umm, I am not as convinced as you are. If the cable modem is in bridge mode there would be nothing in your system to handle giving out IP numbers, and every device would have to handle PPPoE itself and you would have to manually assign IP numbers to everything on the LAN, etc.

Could you PLEASE take a moment to give us an idea of the settings the computers on your LAN are configured to. (what IP addresses, what settings like "manual config" or DHCP config, etc)

(This sent from work, it will probably be another day before I can check back).

Bill S

twk3

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »

aye, if your cable modem is currently in bridge mode, and you only have one static ip... there has to be something giving out IP addresses? Otherwise your network wouldn't work.

OverlordvI

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 12:16:12 PM »

How would I go about bridging the cable modem in that case?  This is all very confusing!

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 08:41:53 AM »

How would I go about bridging the cable modem in that case?  This is all very confusing!

Hi OverlordvI,

I have Comcast Cable and I have a Motorola Surfboard 5100 Cable Modem and the DIR-655 Router.
Print this out:
Start over. Disconnect everything, referring to the Cable Modem and Router. Disconnect the Power from the Cable Modem and Router. Leave your Computer on.
Attach the Computer to the Router's Lan 1 Port. Attach the Wan port of the Router to the Cable Modem with the Ethernet Cable. Turn on the Power to the Router. Now turn on the power to the Cable Modem. Then reconnect the outside Cable Line to the Cable Modem. This allows the Router to be registered with the Cable Modem now and obtain the IP Address from the Cable Modem.

Question: Are you renting the Cable Modem or do you own it? If you rent it, turn it in and have Comcast upgrade the Cable Modem to a new Motorola Surfboard SB 5102 Cable Modem. It allows you to take advantage of higher speeds on the Internet.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

arod

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »

OverlordvI,

I'm a bit confused myself.. If your service provider is Comcast, which means you have Cable not DSL, why are you bridging your modem? You shouldn't have to bridge you modem.. Let's start from scratch. Take you switch out of the scenario. So now it should only be your Cable modem and you DIR-655 router. Disconnect everything from you Modem and you router (including power).

- Connect Ethernet from Modem to PC
- power up modem (wait a about a minute)
- Can you get online? If so open command prompt and run an ipconfig are you pulling a public IP?
- try to ping a website like google.com or yahoo.com Are you getting replies? If yes you should be able to disconnect the Ethernet cable from your PC and connect it in to the WAN port of the router. (router should still be powered off)
- Connect another Ethernet cable in to a LAN port of the router and the other end in to your PC.
- power up router (wait about a minute)
- open command prompt type in ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew
- are you pulling a private IP and can you ping google.com or yahoo.com?
- If you're getting replies you should be able to connect your switch after the DIR-655 and be good to go.

- if you're not getting replies try doing a power cycle of your modem and router and try to ping those sites again.

Good Luck! Hope it works for you..  ;)

OverlordvI

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »

GREAT!!!

The last two replies did it for me.  Thank you so much for your help -

SSD
Pages: 1 [2]