• March 28, 2024, 06:55:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why no profile3?  (Read 6284 times)

leviny

• Level 2 Member
Why no profile3?
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:41:26 AM »

Find the differences... same camera model, same fw, same 'audio and video' settings, one allows profile3 for continuous recording, one doesn't...
I'm using profile 1 to send a video clip to a NAS on motion, and profile 2 to send a few pics by email on motion. If I use profile 1 or 2 for continuous recording, either the video clip or the snapshots don't get attached (since it's using the same profile for two things at the same time, I assume.) This works perfectly fine on the camera that does allow profile 3 - I get a continuous recording, video clip on motion, and snapshot on motion, all at the same time.

Tried factory reset, tried reloading settings from file, even reinstalled latest fw.

Ideas?  ???

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Why no profile3?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »

What are your video settings set to? I think I've seen this before. I just forget right now without playing in it.

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:10:21 PM »

I've never understood the deal with Profile3.  I've got several 2330's and 2332's, which are essentially the same camera, and Profile3 is not editable or selectable on any of them.

I haven't really needed it for anything, so I've not looked into it much.  I did verify that I could manually edit the config file to change the params for Profile3, and also use it for events, and then load the file back to the camera and have Profile3 work.  But through the UI by default, Profile3 may as well not exist on any of my cameras.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »

My dcs 2230 audio and video setup on fw 1.10 has a drop down for # of active profiles.  Lol.

My dcs2330l with f/w 1.01,has no drop down, but shows 3 profiles in the image setup.  The 3rd one is not editable.
On that event setup record page,  all 3 profiles are in the list.

How about try this: 1) verify the image and audio has 2 or 3 also.  Export that cameras settings for kicks.  Export the 3 profile cameras settings and import that into the 2 profile one.

Definitely let us know how that turns out.

leviny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »

The 'audio and video' settings are identical in both cameras.

I don't need to edit profile3, just to use it for continuous recording on the SD card,  so that profiles 1 and 2 can be used for something else. One camera (on the right in the image) allows it, the other identical camera does not.

I'm not able to edit the .dat file in notebook, wordpad or word. How do you edit it?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »

Oh, i thought it was a editable readable file. Must be on the different cameras.
Well profile 3 on mine h264 with 320x176 at constant 512k bit rate. I'd definitely want to edit that.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »

Well what difference does it make. Just load the other cameras .Dat into the one without.

leviny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »

That's a last resort because each camera has a static ip and port forwarding in the .dat file, so I'd have to remove those, set it up in the router instead... I was hoping to avoid this with a simple answer. I mean, same camera, same fw, same everything... the answer must be simple...?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

One would think  ::)

It sounds like you've flashed both every which way.
I did notice some of my other options on the 2330l were only profile 1 and 2.

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »

I'm not able to edit the .dat file in notebook, wordpad or word. How do you edit it?

I'm surprised those programs won't open it.  It's a plain text file.  Change the file extension to .txt and then open and edit.  After saving, change it back to .dat.

leviny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »

That's a good idea, but the results are the same... any suggestions?

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »

Weird.  I'm on a Mac, and it downloads as a plain text file.  In fact, it's already marked as a .txt file in the download -- not sure if it's Mac OS or the camera that is doing that.  So mine come down as "sysenv.dat.txt".  By the way, did you rename your config file "south wall config" after downloading? 

Anyway, mine open right up in the Mac's default text editor:

leviny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »

Yep I renamed after, it was sysenv.dat

Anyway, it worked after exporting the config file from the camera where it worked to the one where it didn't. NOT RECOMMENED... lots of IP conflicts, mainly due to bonjour (Apple always screws things up on PCs...) Even turning off the bonjour service didn't help... but I managed to block one camera in the router, config the other, then swap them until the conflict was resolved. Probably would have worked (and much easier) by editing the config file.

Still, the question isn't answered... why on earth would only profiles 1 and 2 be on the dropdown list for continuous recording?

Thanks for all the input so far, hopefully we can solve this in the future. It's probably a silly firmware bug.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »

No idea.  Where the cameras both purchased at the same time?  Same f/w? It might be too much for the camera to handle so they backed it down.  Or it got lost when they unified the f/ws?

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »

If you want something that will really twist your mind, in the config file there's actually a fourth profile that's not shown on the GUI anywhere at all!