• April 18, 2024, 11:51:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wifi signal had dropped drastically  (Read 3993 times)

torind

• Level 1 Member
Wifi signal had dropped drastically
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:43 AM »

I purchased a DIR-600L back in October here while living in Taiwan on work assignment, and have had no problems until a week ago, signal was strong, no issues.  Now, I have family from back home visiting, and the wifi has turned to total junk:  My PS3, sitting 10 feet from the router, shows 27% signal. I sit right next to it with my phone, and have around 60%. 

I did a factory reset, no luck, so I checked out the firmware, and have upgrade to 1.14 (I have hardware version A).  I again did a factory reset, and still no luck.  I've tried manually setting the channels, I've tried changing the 20/40 MHZ setting, I've tried changing from wireless mode B/G/N to just B/G, and nothing.  The wired connection works fine, previously I was able to use the wireless from about 40 feet away down on the other end of my apartment, now I can barely use it 10 feet away in my bedroom. 

I don't speak any Chinese, so returning to the store now would likely be a no-go, also it was 5 months ago and I'm not sure I even have the receipt anyways.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Torin

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Wifi signal had dropped drastically
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

torind

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »

I am in Taiwan, so Asia I guess.

I did a FR both before and after updating the firmware, yes.

The router was working perfectly for 3 months, then all of a sudden the signal strength died last week.

I have Chunghwa Telecom DSL service.  It's working fine.
I don't have a DSL modem.  Shared building, but internet isn't the issue anyways.
I have 60 / 5 mbit line, also not the issue.

Using a different SSID, not the issue.
Tried both b/g/N and b/g, makes no difference.
I've tried both Auto 20/40mhz and 20mhz only.  No difference.
I've tried every channel on the list separately.  No difference.
Using WPA2 security setup by the default settings in the setup wizard.  Hasn't changed at all and was working fine with the current setup.

Connected are: a couple android phones, a laptop, and a PS3.  I have turned all of them off and tried each one separately and received poor wireless signal on all of them, so no one device seems to be causing the issue.
No cordless phones
3 other routers in the area.  None are new or have changed recently that I can tell.

Wireless router hasn't moved, nothing has been plugged in or unplugged.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »

Possible that the router is bad. I'd phone contact D-Link support for your region and talk to them about it.

Only thing I can think of is that there maybe some external interferences. Try single mode G, WPA2/TPIK only?

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.