• March 28, 2024, 11:32:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 64 Bit Support  (Read 10064 times)

DeathNACan

64 Bit Support
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »

I run both Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition and Windows Vista Premium 64 Bit Edition.  Current the the Active-TV Setup will not install.  It has been over four years now that 64 Bit operating systems have been on the market.  Even MS has indicated that the next version of Windows will be the last to support 32 Bit processors.  I have three DSM-520, every computer I have dual boots between 64 Bit Vista and 64 Bit XP Pro.  I feel that having spent over $550.00 on DSM-520 I should not have to run software in Virtual PC to get it the features offered by the product and advertised by D-Link.  Please tell me exactly when does D-Link plan to support 64 Bit operating systems?

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
Re: 64 Bit Support
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:38:56 AM »

I'm running Vista 64bit myself, so I'm interested in this topic as well.  What is it about Active-TV that requires a 32bit operating system? 

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »

I'm about ready to build a new PC myself and was going to install Vista Ultimate 64bit.  So active TV won't work??

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

Currently the ActiveTV software runs in 32bit versions of XP and Vista.

If any of you remember when we went from 286 cpus to 386 cpus (16 bit to 32 bit), you can figure software and driver issues between 32 bit and 64 bit are going to be similar. The problem is some 32bit application just will not run properly in a 64 bit environment. When we went from 16bit to 32bit, it took a good 5 years for these compatibility problems to work out. Lets hope it only takes that long.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »

Is there a specific reason why you can't let Vista x64 run the software in 32bit mode?

DeathNACan

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

So basically, what you're saying is that by the time we get the problem fixed, we'll be using another operating system.  Good one.  So I'll as the same question above, why exactly can't the recompile for the 64 bit operating systems again?  By the way, in case anyone wants to know, I have added a fourth media server to my network.  It's a Playstation 3.  You can download FUPPES server software and configure it to share your media and it does on the fly conversion.  Works really well with both the DSM-520 and the Playstation 3.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »

It seems Media Mall the developers of the ActiveTV on there website state that there are no plan for 64bit support currently. I am very sorry but I do not know the reason for this it is supported by Media Mall. Perhaps there is just not a market for 64bit or it is just not that simple as recompiling the software for 64bit. 

DeathNACan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Is there anyway that persons with 64 bit Operating Systems can be notified when the software is available.  I will even beta test if necessary?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:40:16 PM »

If 64bit is supported in future updates it will be listed on the D-Link support webpage with release noted stating 64bit support.

mycomputers.ca

• Level 2 Member
    • MY Computers Corp
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

If 64bit is supported in future updates it will be listed on the D-Link support webpage with release noted stating 64bit support.
from what I've seen the sales of 64bit OS and systems have increased recently so the software vendors should take my comment into consideration and start processing 64 software I do find some software to repeatedly crash specially in vista because it's trying to run in 32bit environment.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

Quote from Media Mall website.

We do not have any plans to make ActiveTV work on Windows 64-bit since it is such a tiny % of the installed base, and would be significant effort for us and one of our technology partners.

Please see the Media Mall website:

http://www.themediamall.com/blog/?p=16