• March 28, 2024, 04:24:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: firmware 1.08 and shareport  (Read 31075 times)

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: firmware 1.08 and shareport
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »

Shareport is not build in 1.08 - it caomes as apkg.
UK shareport version is the older one working with shareport util 1.14(1.15) which was also used in the older DIR firmwares and is still used in european DIR- routers

US shareport will be the newer apkg which works with the same 1.10 shareport client the recent DIR routers in US use.

Up to now the us shareport apkg is missing. Only the clients are on the ftp.

So don't mix it up. If you already use shareport with a DIR router you should install the appropriate shareport apkg to get both work, router and NAS.

Up to now I tested the UK version with one of my DIR-655 (european firmware 1.31) and they worked together. I could choose between the different hosts. As soon as the US version is available I will it out.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »

Yeah call me a goober for not verifying what packages went up last week. I just realised the web team didn't upload the APKG for SharePort so that would explain the confusion. It wll be up today asap.

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Awesome, Thank you.

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

thanks, so are you confirming that with this shareport we can use any usb printer or usb external hard drive?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »

thanks, so are you confirming that with this shareport we can use any usb printer or usb external hard drive?

SharePort is capable of connecting pretty much any usb device. You do need to understand that this a direct connection to the device from your PC though. this means although you can hookup a USB external hard drive only you could connect to it and see the content. The DNS-323 can not see the USB drive information.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

Hmmm what would you use this utility for then?  ???

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »

Damn it! I wanted to copy files directly from my DNS to the USB HD and NOT pull them over the network.

oh well :(

sbillard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »

Any ETA for the APKG for SharePort?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »

Hmmm what would you use this utility for then?  ???

To SHARE the USB PORT.

Just as an example - one of the shortcomings of USB print servers is that they typically will only work in one direction, printing only, and if your printer is one of the very common all-in-one, printer-scanner-copier multifunction systems, you lose the scan functionality.

Conceptually Shareport should allow you to treat the USB port as if it was attached to your computer via the network cable - computer_#1 reserves the port and can scan or print, just as if the printer was directly attached, and when computer_#1 releases the port, it's available for use by any of the other computers on the network - one at a time.

This is distinctly different to how a print server operates - where the print jobs are sent by the hosts and queued by the print server - if computer_#1 sends a print job, for the same of discussion 10 pages long, and whilst  those 10 pages are being printed, computer_#2 sends a second print job, computer_#2 should not be told that the printer is not available, the server should accept the job and hold it until the first print job is complete.

With Shareport you should be able to share pretty much anything that has a USB connection - printers, scanners, cameras, storage
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »

To SHARE the USB PORT.

Just as an example - one of the shortcomings of USB print servers is that they typically will only work in one direction, printing only, and if your printer is one of the very common all-in-one, printer-scanner-copier multifunction systems, you lose the scan functionality.

Conceptually Shareport should allow you to treat the USB port as if it was attached to your computer via the network cable - computer_#1 reserves the port and can scan or print, just as if the printer was directly attached, and when computer_#1 releases the port, it's available for use by any of the other computers on the network - one at a time.

This is distinctly different to how a print server operates - where the print jobs are sent by the hosts and queued by the print server - if computer_#1 sends a print job, for the same of discussion 10 pages long, and whilst  those 10 pages are being printed, computer_#2 sends a second print job, computer_#2 should not be told that the printer is not available, the server should accept the job and hold it until the first print job is complete.

With Shareport you should be able to share pretty much anything that has a USB connection - printers, scanners, cameras, storage

According to what D-Link Multimedia said a few posts up in this thread, this is not the case with the 323 tho at least as far as an external usb drive is concerned.  Unless I misunderstood his explanation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:52:47 PM by AKFubar »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »

According to what D-Link Multimedia said a few posts up in this thread, this is not the case with the 323 tho.  Unless I misunderstood his explanation.

Is this what you're referring to?

SharePort is capable of connecting pretty much any usb device. You do need to understand that this a direct connection to the device from your PC though. this means although you can hookup a USB external hard drive only you could connect to it and see the content. The DNS-323 can not see the USB drive information.

Because if it is - I think you mistunderstood either his or my explanation.

Essentially the difference between the explanations is that he doesn't mention sharing and I do - and I know that in my explanation I pointed out that "shared port" can only be used by one computer on the network at a time - maybe it's time to re-read the explanations carefully.

Another suggestion - download the Shareport utility and install it and then click on help and have a read - may that'll give you a better explanation than I can.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:00:22 PM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

sbillard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »

Yeah call me a goober for not verifying what packages went up last week. I just realised the web team didn't upload the APKG for SharePort so that would explain the confusion. It wll be up today asap.

Well, it is after your work hours today. (Unless you are in Hawaii or Guam) I still do not see th APKG for SharePort. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place? I was looking in the "additional downloads" for the DNS 323.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

Well, it is after your work hours today. (Unless you are in Hawaii or Guam) I still do not see th APKG for SharePort. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place? I was looking in the "additional downloads" for the DNS 323.
What's this from the US FTP site? 

Look here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Apps/

Isn't this the app? dns323_shareport_package_100.zip
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

sbillard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

It is up now. Just plugged in my Epson 2200 printer. Now My wife can use it from her computer without my computer being on. Works like a charm!

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »

Sure would be nice if the USB port could connect directly to the DNS-323.  That way you could backup your data from the DNS-323 to an external hard drive without using a computer.  There have been a lot of request for this but apparently it is not high on D-Link's list.  For me this is the only use for this port since I have network printers.

I know that I can use my computer to do this but would it be nice to have it take care of it by itself?  It would use a lot less energy than using a system for this purpose.  Maybe an app that would do it?

Terry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4