• March 28, 2024, 07:52:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 -- Can't Connect to my admin page.  (Read 18248 times)

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 -- Can't Connect to my admin page.
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:09:45 PM »

Hi,

I'm noticing that every time I try to connect to  my DIR-655's admin page, it fails to connect. Anybody have a fix for this? I tried pressing the reset button at the back of the router, but nothing happened.

Lil' help?

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: DIR-655 -- Can't Connect to my admin page.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »

if you hard reset the router the page is set back to 192.168.0.1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »

I tried that. Held the reset button for 30 Mississipi's  :)  and still nothing.
I then attempted to connect to the admin page, and I still couldn't connect. But here's the kicker...I power-cycled the router from the adapter (that plugs into the wall) and nothing happened after I plugged it back in the wall. I then tried unplugging the smaller end of the cable (that plugs directly into the back of the router) and suddenly it seemed to work. Now....by "work" I mean, my internet started to work again but then my VOIP died completely and I still couldn't access the admin page.   ???

It seems that only one of the two (VOIP or internet access) can work at any given time. In any case, I gave up. I went through my receipts and turns out my unit's 1 year mfg. warranty will be expiring in like two more days so I asked my mom to take a personal day and take it back to Future Shop to send it off for either warranty repair/replacement (whatever they do). My sweet mother is there right now as I'm typing this to you (from work, which is why I couldn't go myself). Side Note : Buy her some flowers.

Either way; just glad it died just before the warranty expires as opposed to dying right after the warranty expires.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:39:34 PM by YMS_1975 »

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »

[UPDATE]

So Future Shop was kind enough to do a straight exchange off the shelf. After hooking everything up, it worked like a charm!

So it was the router!   ;D

[2nd UPDATE]

Turns out it wasn't the router; at least....I don't think it's the router because it started doing the exact same thing later today. My wife had to use her friends cellular to call me and let me know that our internet and phone line is down.   :(

Is there any kind of rule that says you can't (or shouldn't) mix CAT5 and CAT6 cables on your router? I've replaced both my D-LINK DIR-655 wireless router and my LinkSys SPA2102 VOIP phone adapter router.
The only thing I can think of now is maybe it's a router setting I don't know of or because I've mixed CAT5 and CAT6 cables on my router.

SOMEBODY HELP!!!!    :'(

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:50:12 PM by YMS_1975 »

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »

If your Linksys is also a router, the two could be conflicting each other.  You can use either cable type, I currently have 3 6's and a 5E connected to my 655

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »

If your Linksys is also a router, the two could be conflicting each other.  You can use either cable type, I currently have 3 6's and a 5E connected to my 655

The LinkSys SPA2102 is not a router; it's a VOIP phone adapter. Check out the specs https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10026/index.html, maybe I'm wrong.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »

Hi,

My vonage box (a motoolra unit), while being a VoIP adapter is also a router if you look thru the setups.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »

The LinkSys SPA2102 is not a router; it's a VOIP phone adapter. Check out the specs https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10026/index.html, maybe I'm wrong.

Hi YMS_1975,

Cisco SPA2102 Phone Adapter with Router

It is a Router with Voice Capability.

Paint a picture with words, on how you are connected to the Internet. What is connected to what?

How are you connected to the Internet? FIOS, DSL or Cable Modem?

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »

I have my vonage box strung off the router.....so it gets an LAP IP from the reserved DHCP list I set up....

I used to have it between my cable modem and my DIR and it worked fine like that also....

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »

Hi YMS_1975,

Cisco SPA2102 Phone Adapter with Router

It is a Router with Voice Capability.

Paint a picture with words, on how you are connected to the Internet. What is connected to what?

How are you connected to the Internet? FIOS, DSL or Cable Modem?

I decided to simplify matters and disconnected the LinkSys SPA2102 Phone Adapter to see whether or not I could connect to the net with just my cable modem & my router hooked up. And guess what? I still couldn't connect.

Then I tried disconnecting the router entirely, so that the only thing connected to my PC was the cable modem. That's the only way I am able to connect to the internet.  ???

So that tells me it's not :

- A coaxial cable issue outside the house
- My cable modem (Motorola SurfBoard 5100)
- The ethernet cable between my PC to my cable modem
- The power adapter for my cable modem

Once I established it's not my internet service, the cable modem or the ethernet cable that connects between the two that's the problem, I started looking at the router itself; which by the way was a brand new unit (under warranty replacement). I then tried swapping the CAT 5 & CAT 6 cables (thinking perhaps it was a faulty cable somewhere in the configuration) but that didn't help either.

To specifically answer your question about painting you a picture of how it was connected, I had :

- An ethernet cable running from the back of my PC to the back of the wireless router plugged into where it says "1" (as in, port #1)
- The ethernet cable running from my cable modem to the back of the wireless router plugged into where it says "Internet"

**NOTE** For the above config. I even tried swapping the cables, so that the ethernet cable from the back of my pc was plugged into the back of the wireless router where it says "Internet" and the ethernet cable running from the back of the cable modem was hooked up to the router in port #1.

An already long story short, I've disconnected the router and will be returning it for a full refund. I'm very ticked off right now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:48:49 AM by YMS_1975 »

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »

When you are changing between not having the router connected and having it connected are you doing one of these (only need to do one):

1 .Release/renewing IP through a command prompt

2. Disable then re-enable your NIC

3. Rebooting computer

You have to do one of these as the modem needs to acquire a new IP when connected to the router.

YMS_1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »

When you are changing between not having the router connected and having it connected are you doing one of these (only need to do one):

1 .Release/renewing IP through a command prompt

2. Disable then re-enable your NIC

3. Rebooting computer

You have to do one of these as the modem needs to acquire a new IP when connected to the router.

Well wouldn't it have released/renewed the IP address whenever I unplugged and rebooted both the router, and the cable modem? (Which I did numerous times btw)

In any case, I uninstalled the NIC and reinstalled it but that too proved useless. I gave up last night.  I took it into Future Shop like an hour ago and traded up to another brand name and paid the difference.

It's working ok. For now.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:43:59 AM by YMS_1975 »