• March 28, 2024, 10:40:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How do I upgrade my drivers without an exe file?  (Read 7221 times)

hdpwipmonkey

• Level 1 Member
How do I upgrade my drivers without an exe file?
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:03 AM »

I have a DWA-643 card and the DIR-655 router but i am only connecting at 54Mbps according to Windows Zero Config software.  I am running Windows XP.
Any ideas?

Edit:  Nevermind, I should did some research before posting.  I found the answer and it's working now (changed to WPA2 only and did the firmware update on the router).  One other question though, how do you update to the newest DWA-643 driver.  There is no exe file just some sys info files.  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 09:40:04 PM by AWDL »

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: My DWA-643 is Connecting as 54mbps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »

a Driver is a combination of a .INF & .SYS file

The .INF is a generic text file that shows all information like the name, hardware, vender, modes, etc...  the sys file is the compiled data specific for the kernel that you are running the drivers for.
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

laltj

Re: My DWA-643 is Connecting as 54mbps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »

I have a DWA-643 card and the DIR-655 router but i am only connecting at 54Mbps according to Windows Zero Config software.  I am running Windows XP.
Any ideas?

Edit:  Nevermind, I should did some research before posting.  I found the answer and it's working now (changed to WPA2 only and did the firmware update on the router).  One other question though, how do you update to the newest DWA-643 driver.  There is no exe file just some sys info files.  Thanks

You have to go to Device Manger and right on the DWA-643 and Click Update driver and point to the folder / file which you downloaded.

rmurry9

Re: How do I upgrade my drivers without an exe file?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »

Any ideas?

+

I upgraded my driver for the DWA-643 using the software/drivers from DLink support.  I also use the Network Magic application and have been since version 2.0 came out.  Here's what happened when I updated the drivers.   I lost my DLink wireless manager functionality.  It still loads, shows the bars, but also does NOT indicate a connection, although I'm connected.  Network Magic controls the connection.  I can see the strength of the connection by looking at the DIR-655 router's status indication.  It is 300MBps when I'm near the router and drops to about the same as the integrated 802.11g in the laptop when I'm at the far end of the house.   This is not what I was promised by the sales literature.  (6x Range, 14x speed)
I feel like a beta tester again.