• April 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP Server Problem  (Read 7171 times)

Bruce in Philly

FTP Server Problem
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »

FTP Server problem:  I am using firm v 1.05,   FTP Rhino Soft server and client in passive mode.

I have a PC dedicated as an FTP server and the router does not pass all FTP traffic. It does pass some.  I can log into my FTP server and watch the FTP dialog with the server - my FTP server software shows that I am logged in - but it will not list a directory nor can I issue other FTP commands such as "change directory".  The FTP software just sits there and my FTP client times out.  However I can log on and use the FTP server successfully from behind my router but not from outside.  The router is doing something bad.

I believe it is the router as it worked fine for over a year with my Linksys - swapped out for this D-Link and it stopped working - put the Linksys back in and it works.

I am using port forwarding to a local address on the same subnet.  I tried virtual server but it had no effect.  I did not change any settings such as QOS - all are at the default.  I am, however, using a static IP address on the FTP server but it is out of range from what the router DHCP assignment pool(same subnet though, just the last octet is different).

HELP!

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: FTP Server Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

By default, your router should forward the FTP. So I guess you are not running any software firewalls on your FTP server as those would also interfere with the setup of the network. Try mapping the port 21 and telnet the port 21 from the outside. If you are not getting the response, use the DMZ for your FTP server. 
Life is cool! :)

Bruce in Philly

Thanx for the tips
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 04:37:16 PM »

Thanx, I will try the DMZ - However I pulled the D-Link out and put the Linksys back in as I needed access to the FTP server.
Regarding the firewall, I was running Windows XP Firewall with the FTP server software as an exception as well as UPnP framework.  I will try turning this off first however it doesn't interfere with access through the Linksys router.  Also, as I noted in my original post, I can access the server from behind the router on my local LAN with the FTP server's XP firewall running. 

Good tips, thanx.

JHK

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:33 AM »

Depends on the manufacturers, some do enable the most of common protocols by factory default. Dlink normally does, however you still want to forward the necessary ports manually to rectify the issue on this occasion. Good luck.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »

Have you tried the 1.02 firmware? Does it have the same effect?

Bruce in Philly

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »

I have not tried rolling back the s'ware versions.  I will hit it hard this weekend.  Rhino soft thinks UPnP is not opening up all of the passive ports so I will start there - which did work on the Linksys.    I was only forwarding 21 (and 20) but they want me to forward a few ports in the 5000 range also.  Thanx for the tips.

JHK

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »

Also check the Internet Properties setting from the Control Panel. When you click on the Advanced tab from the Internet Properties, see if you have selected the Passive FTP for firewall and DSL modem compatibility or not. Good luck!

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »

this was actually an old topic on the forum

to get a active FTP session on the 655

Advanced>>Firewall

TCP Endpoint Filtering:
From Address Restricted to  Endpoint Independent
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>