• April 27, 2024, 07:26:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 throttling house LAN??  (Read 6359 times)

mgpaulus

DIR-825 throttling house LAN??
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:49 AM »

I have a nice little mini-LAN in the house with 4 machines in the basement, 2 machines in the office, a laptop for the wife, etc, etc.   2 of the machines in the basement are mythtv boxes, so they do multimedia streaming.  Everything in the house that can be is on Gigabit, and I'm using USR 8 port Gigabit switches.  I was using a DI-524, but I want to stream multimedia to the bedroom and it's inconvenient to wire that room, so I was looking at a wireless bridge, N variety.  This means, I need an N wireless AP.  So, I tried the WRT-610, and the DIR-825.  I have had better luck with the DIR-825, so I stuck with it.

However, sometime later I noticed that the DIR-825 seems to somehow be throttling my LAN traffic.  I was noticing this when I would use dvbstream from a machine in the basement to multicast clear QAM on my LAN.  Then I can use TSReader in the office to receive and "decode" and watch the streams via VLC.  Under normal conditions, that all works just great. 

However, when I plug the DIR-825 into my switch (I have SB5120 <==> DIR-825 <==> Switch, and everything else is connected to the switch.) my LAN throughput goes way down.  Last night I downloaded and installed a copy of Objectplanet's Network Probe, and verified what I was feeling.  When I disconnect the router from the switch, network probe is showing lan throughput of 40+ Megabits/second.  As soon as I connect the router to the switch, throughput drops to 10 Megabits/second or less.

I have tried enabling/disabling QOS, traffic shaping and multicast streams.  None of those settings seems to have any affect on LAN throughput (I wouldn't expect them to anyway, since this is all local, not going out to the cloud.) 

Has anyone else seen this, and/or have any recommendations as to what to do to fix it, other than to go back to my DI-524 which didn't seem to have the issue?

mgpaulus

Re: DIR-825 throttling house LAN?? -- SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »

Hi all,

I wanted to post that I have apparently solved the problem with my multicast RTSP/UDP throttling issue.  I tried many combinations of settings, but the one that seems to impact my situation was the WAN Setting under Advanced ==> Advanced Network ==> WAN Port Speed.  I changed mine from Auto 10/100/1000Mbps to 1000Mbps, and everything seems to have cleared up.

joshua.davis

Re: DIR-825 throttling house LAN??
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

Great Job,

In case you do have any other issues the 100Mbps seems to be a little more stable as far as WAN Connection speeds especially if you are using Cable/DSL.

Typically:
10Mbps / 100Mbps - DSL/Cable
1000Mbps - Fiberoptic/T1 lines.

Other than that great job on the troubleshooting.