• April 26, 2024, 04:26:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cloning my pc's mac address causes my router to turn stupid  (Read 6496 times)

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
Cloning my pc's mac address causes my router to turn stupid
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

I've been messing around with my settings and been searching for the cause of why my router stops responding, accepting input and failing to connect.  I've discovered that if I don't clone my pc's mac address everything that I try works fine.  The moment that I clone my pc's mac it is unable to establish a connection to my modem and will not accept any further input.  Will someone else try this with their router and see if they get the same result.  I'm hoping that someone from dlink will respond.  For the moment I'm leaving my mac alone using the default address since it works.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Cloning my pc's mac address causes my router to turn [exploitive deleted]
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:01:13 AM »

If you change the WAN side MAC address (e.g. cloning it) you'll have to power cycle the modem so your ISP drops the currently registered MAC address for a new one.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

I've been running it cloned to my pc which was used to establish the service connected directly to the modem.  For whatever reason the router will now act up if I try to clone the mac address that has worked since the beginning.  Maybe I'll try cloning the address first then make other changes later.

shpankey

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:48:23 AM »

I have this same problem, but didn't think much of it. What's the purpose of doing this though? I just leave mine all 0's and it works. If I clone it, it won't work. What does clone'ing it do exactly?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »

When you connect the modem to the PC, the ISP see's the MAC address of the NIC in the PC. We added the cloning feature as a way to "trick" the ISP in to thinking that the same PC was still connected. This feature isn't really needed any longer, as MOST ISP's allow the use of routers. However the cloning feature can be useful if the modem is already bound to a PC's MAC and power-cycling is not an option, like with Time Warner's VoIP where the modem has a battery in it.