• April 27, 2024, 10:41:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.  (Read 49084 times)

viinceennt

Re: 1.32 Build 3 Shareport issues.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »

I wished your guess was wrong, but...
Like other reports here,
after 1.5 days, it doesn't work anymore.
It disconnects after few seconds.

i wish i was wrong too.. but yeah thats what happens to me as well... and i dont think you should expect a fix anytime soon... i mean... its dlink. lol

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »

A question: What does everybody mean with "after x day"? Is this continuous on or  was the PC/client turned off in between? When Windows OS's are kept in standby or hibernate a lot of devices seem to have issues (not only Shareport). So it would be a good thing to mention what the PC status was during that time...

viinceennt

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

A question: What does everybody mean with "after x day"? Is this continuous on or  was the PC/client turned off in between? When Windows OS's are kept in standby or hibernate a lot of devices seem to have issues (not only Shareport). So it would be a good thing to mention what the PC status was during that time...

well i think i get what you mean but...

when people say number of "x" days... its like ooh my shareport works from day one (in which you reboot your router) until like day 3.... after day 3, i cannot log into the shareport anymore... i have to restart the router again in order for me to access shareport. And from the standby or hibernate, it still lets me log into the shareport within the number of days. but after liek the 3rd day, i cannot access the shareport unless i reboot the router again.

let me know if that helps? if not i can try to explain it again. ^_^

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

When it worked, no problem regardless of standby or hibernate.
It always worked perfectly.

Once it started to stop working, it repeatedly connects(about 25 secs) -->
disconnects --> available(trying to connect) --> connects(about 25 secs) --> ...
Rebooting computer doesn't fix the problem. Only rebooting a router fixes it for a while.

Since rebooting OS doesn't fix it, I guess it is not a Windows OS issue.

sgt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »

I have 2 machines Ive been using it with.  Both run W7.  One stays on while the other one goes in and out of standby when I need to take it with me.  I check connectability approx every 2-4 hours and usually sometime on the second day I lose the ability to connect. Happens to both machines at the same time.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »

Non of my PCs ever go into hibernate or sleep mode. My main PC is turned off at night, and my other PC may or may not be on depending on whether it's downloading a torrent or not. In my case it doesn't seem to matter if a PC is on or not, shareport will just quit working after what seems like a random period. When it works all PCs can access the printer. When it decides to quit, non of the PC can access the printer. For me it's an all or nothing situation and only a router reboot will get it working again. >:(

Larkster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »

Just wanted to contribute my experiences with this issue...

The issue: SharePort behaves correctly in all ways except when trying to connect (manually or automatically) to a device.  It tries to connect, and after some time, the dialog box disappears and the device still says it's "available" (as opposed to being successfully "connected").  Otherwise, the status displayed of all USB devices work fine.

Routers experiencing this problem:

Mine:
DIR-655, HW A2, FW 1.31NA
USB device connected:
-Lexmark E321 monochrome laser printer
Computers connected:
-Desktop (wired connection) running Vista Enterprise 32bit SP2
-Laptop (wireless connection) running Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

Friend's:
DIR-655, HW A4, FW 1.31NA (and also 1.32NA after updating)
USB devices connected:
-Samsung ML-2010 monochrome laser printer
-Memorex USB keyboard
-WD "Dual Option" external hard drive
Computers connected:
-Laptop (mine, same as above) connected with wireless
-Friend's laptop (wireless connection) running Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

(SharePort version 1.1.0 R1 on all computers described)

In all these cases, I have found that the most reliable solution is power-cycling the router.  It also seems that the reboot is not effective unless left off for long enough (15-30s).  When having the issue, power cycling the USB device does not work reliably.  Generally, the issue returns within a few hours, although sometimes it continues working for a longer period of time.

So, from my point of view, the issue has occurred on every router and ever computer I've tried.  I've also been having this issue for months and this is the first time I've posted about it--so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more people out there that are having similar experiences.  It's unfortunate that D-Link hasn't been able to reproduce this problem--so keep testing different routers!  It's a really frustrating issue and I'm looking forward to the day it's resolved.

R3XNebular

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 05:45:18 AM »

How long has it been since my original thread? no fix? no comments on this issue... says allot about dlink

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 06:09:56 AM »

Your thread and a whole lot more seem to only get comments from people with the same problem but no fix! HELLO D-LINK IS THERE ANYBODY THERE? There are a lot of unhappy people here that wouldn't mind a little feed back from your end.  :(

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »

The Dir 655 is a Router not a NAS device. When have 3rd party software (shareport client) to run your externals what do you expect.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »

I expect it to work as bloody well advertised  >:( D-Link is advertising Shareport as a selling feature for some of it's products. It was one of the reasons I upgraded from my 615 to a 655.   

jvilhauer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

Agree with alphanumeric.  I woudl hardly consider Shareport "3rd party software" when it's got D-Link's name plastered all over it.  D-Link needs to get this problem fixed.

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »

The Dir 655 is a Router not a NAS device. When have 3rd party software (shareport client) to run your externals what do you expect.

I believe that the shareport feaure of DIR-655 is a big selling point from the marketing viewpoint
in comparison with other routers. That's the exact reason why I bought it over the others.
Many people including me are really disappointed, but looking forward to the fix
because I, and maybe others too still "want to" believe that the D-link is working to fix it.

Your comment simply implies to me,
"D-link deceived you with the faulty feature, so you need to get over it!"
If it is really so,
I'll never spend my money for D-link's product in future, and furthermore
I will do my best to keep anyone from buying any product from D-link.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:57:43 PM by stonehead »

stonehead

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »

I don't want this thread forgotten!

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »

Agree with alphanumeric.  I woudl hardly consider Shareport "3rd party software" when it's got D-Link's name plastered all over it.  D-Link needs to get this problem fixed.
Hmm... Did Dlink make the chipset...uh...NO..I would dare to say Shareport software was sub-contracted to another firm.
Lets face it Dlink and Linksys, Netgear are all name brands and if you notice offer alot of the same features. Why is that? Could it be because the have the same internal chipset? (Ubicom)
My Dir 655 A1/A2 was never advertised with shareport although the hardware was there and then you have Linksys coming out with a USB port advertised for HDD and printers..etc.. SO Dlink keeping up with Marketing does it also.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:19:02 AM by jason1722x »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7