• May 11, 2024, 10:39:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?  (Read 74836 times)

tjberens

• Level 1 Member
    • Twitter
Re: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

I disabled DNS relay last night and have still experienced the issue with momentary lock ups. The connection is restored almost instantly, but still annoying nonetheless.

Question: I'm on hardware A4 with 1.21. Most people in this thread who have seen the issue and say disabling DNS relay solved it seem to have upgraded to 1.31 or 1.32. Should I try upgrading to 1.32 and then disabling DNS relay to see if it resolves the issue? I just bought this router yesterday, so I'm not really concerned about not being able to downgrade since I can just go return the thing.

I'm grateful for all input. Thanks.

I say upgrade it. 1.32 is better than 1.21 once you disable DNS relay. All of my problems with this router are gone.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »

Well my router has been going for 7 days straight with DNS Relay off instead of around 2 to 4 days when it's on. I'm on 1.32NA. No more out of resources problem till now. Hope it will continue to be so.

bobbyl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »

I would recommend first trying 1.22b05 before making the leap to 1.32.  Once you go to 1.3x series, you cannot go back to 1.2x series and many are reporting problems with 1.32.  If 1.22 works for you, then there is no need to risk going any further.

junkun13

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2009, 04:49:21 AM »

please release a new firmware already!  >:(

bisabuelo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »

I went ahead and bit the bullet and upgraded to 1.32NA with DNS relay disabled. So far (about 18 hours), so good. Was able to play on xbox live last night for over an hour with no drops or lag. We'll see what happens!

MrSinatra

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

No, DNS relay is on the network page.  You need to disable advanced DNS and securespot and then disable DNS relay.

securespot was already disabled.  i had to disable advanced dns just to be able to disable dns relay.

this is unacceptable... the router should not lockup from users simply using it as its intended.  is dlink aware of this and if so, are they going to issue a fw fix?

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »

securespot was already disabled.  i had to disable advanced dns just to be able to disable dns relay.

this is unacceptable... the router should not lockup from users simply using it as its intended.  is dlink aware of this and if so, are they going to issue a fw fix?

Check a couple pages back.  They know about it but can't reproduce it.

MrSinatra

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »

they should come to my house, i mean, it reproduces like rabbits here.

the lockup seems to be port 80 related...  http traffic dies, but skype, email, etc... continue.

i got a crazy email from dlink, talking about upnp and the like:

From the email it seems the router is locking up.

The following are possibilities why your router is locking up:

A large amount of traffic may lock the router up. Disable any broadcast protocols or unused protocols such as NetBEUI and IPX/SPX on the computer.

Disable UPnP(TM) if not being used on both your computer (ME or XP) and on the router (Tools - Misc).

Check the log on your router. Is it showing a large amount of traffic? If coming from 1 IP address, you may want to use the IP Filter to block that user.

Check the log settings and uncheck some of the items the router will report.

Check your firewall and virtual server settings on the router. Too many may degrade performance of the router.

Upgrade firmware at http://support.dlink.com/downloads. If you have the latest version, flash it again.

Perform a hard reset on the router and reconfigure. With the unit powered on, use a paperclip and hold down the reset button for 10-15 seconds. Release and wait about 20 seconds. DO NOT power off while holding the reset button.

If the router continues to lock up, especially more than once a day, then it would be best if you interact with a live technician to resolve the issue.

is any of that meaningful?

mrberry

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »

yes.

have been running about 2 weeks now and no lock ups. with dns relay on it will lock up within 3days or so.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »

Well, I posted in another thread, so I'll just cross link to here:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6547.msg50262#msg50262

I voted for "what is DNS relay". Did I miss the instructions on how to disable DNS relay? I looked at the first post / page in this thread and didn't see anything. I also looked at the FAQ ( http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=3383&question=DIR-655 ) and didn't see anything there either?? I'm at work and not near my DIR655, so maybe it's just an obvious button in the web GUI I'll look at tonight then...

And I have to fully agree that this is completely unacceptable. The 1.21 firmware that came with the router worked like a champ -- the the effect that I didn't even consider the DLINK at all in my day to day networking. It worked like a switch. You just plug it in and leave it alone and it blends into the background. I'm not normally one to "fix what ain't broke", but with a company like DLINK who has such a great reputation, and this router which got such great reviews, I would NEVER have expected such a colossal failure in firmware. I mean, this is a networking company; This is a router; It's what DLINK does! How can they break something so intrinsic and fundamental -- and besides, it's only software, so fix it or at the very least, let me revert back to the 1.2x version!  ???
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

tjberens

• Level 1 Member
    • Twitter
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »

I voted for "what is DNS relay". Did I miss the instructions on how to disable DNS relay? I looked at the first post / page in this thread and didn't see anything. I also looked at the FAQ ( http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=3383&question=DIR-655 ) and didn't see anything there either?? I'm at work and not near my DIR655, so maybe it's just an obvious button in the web GUI I'll look at tonight then...

Setup > network settings > uncheck "Enable DNS Relay" and save. If you get your IP automatically, you'll have to restart your connection to the router for it to work. If you use a static IP, you'll have to manually input the DNS addresses on the router's status page.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

I must be doing something wrong or stupid because if I uncheck the Setup > Network Settings > Enable DNS Relay checkbox, then I can't get out to the internet.

I have a static IP, and I have the DNS configured here:
Setup > Internet > Manual Configuration > Static IP Address Internet Connection Type

Even Status > Device Info shows the right setup

Code: [Select]
Connection Type : Static IP
QoS Engine : Inactive
Cable Status : Connected
DNS Status : Online
Network Status : Established
Connection Up Time : 0 Day 0 Hour 01 Min 08 Sec
MAC Address : 00:21:91:......
IP Address : 75.147.180.77
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway : 75.147.180.78
Primary DNS Server : 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS Server : 208.67.220.220
Advanced DNS : Disabled

You say to "manually input the DNS address on the router's status page", but I don't see anywhere to do that (that doesn't already have the DNS entries filled in above)?

I've tried soft-rebooting via the web GUI. I've tried to unplug the router. I've tried to renew my networking on my PCs/servers and I can't ping any domain name. However I *can* ping by IP, so networking is alive. (and of course that makes some sense as we're talking DNS here which is failing me)

I have Hardware A4 : Firmware Version: 1.32NA if that matters.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:46:18 PM by DAE51D »
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

tjberens

• Level 1 Member
    • Twitter
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2009, 10:57:53 PM »

I must be doing something wrong or stupid because if I uncheck the Setup > Network Settings > Enable DNS Relay checkbox, then I can't get out to the internet.

I have a static IP, and I have the DNS configured here:
Setup > Internet > Manual Configuration > Static IP Address Internet Connection Type

Even Status > Device Info shows the right setup

Code: [Select]
Connection Type : Static IP
QoS Engine : Inactive
Cable Status : Connected
DNS Status : Online
Network Status : Established
Connection Up Time : 0 Day 0 Hour 01 Min 08 Sec
MAC Address : 00:21:91:......
IP Address : 75.147.180.77
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway : 75.147.180.78
Primary DNS Server : 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS Server : 208.67.220.220
Advanced DNS : Disabled

You say to "manually input the DNS address on the router's status page", but I don't see anywhere to do that (that doesn't already have the DNS entries filled in above)?

I've tried soft-rebooting via the web GUI. I've tried to unplug the router. I've tried to renew my networking on my PCs/servers and I can't ping any domain name. However I *can* ping by IP, so networking is alive. (and of course that makes some sense as we're talking DNS here which is failing me)

I have Hardware A4 : Firmware Version: 1.32NA if that matters.

Oh, I meant if you have a static IP on your computer that accesses the router then you'd have to manually input the DNS addresses from your router into the network settings on your computer. The router should automatically get the DNS addresses from your ISP (and it looks like it did). Sorry about the confusion.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:00:18 PM by tjberens »

ICANSEEYOU7687

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »

I dsiabled my DNS relay, but I found that I had to manually enter my ISP's dns setting (which is displayed on the rotuers status tab), very easy to to.

I have a torrent program seeding a bunch of files, and after about 3 hours, it would lock up.  Usually the torrent would still be uploading, but I could not access my router and browse the internet.

Turned off the DNS relay, and my fileserver has been seeding for 3 days straight now, haha.

thanks!

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »

Oh, I meant if you have a static IP on your computer that accesses the router then you'd have to manually input the DNS addresses from your router into the network settings on your computer. The router should automatically get the DNS addresses from your ISP (and it looks like it did). Sorry about the confusion.
So.... then why can't I access the internet (via domain names) with DNS relay off, if my settings appear correct? Is there somewhere else I need to update DNS (such as on EACH PC connected to the router -- that seems like a PITA when I have about a dozen machines that go through this DLINK). Or is there some other router GUI page that needs attention?

I'm half tempted to just go back to the store, buy another DIR655 (which will come with 1.21 on it) and return this 1.32 one in its place. This is ridiculous that I can't even downgrade, until they figure this out -- I really don't understand that part at all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8