• April 28, 2024, 07:43:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Cannot save settings on DIR-655  (Read 70229 times)

unickz

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot save settings on DIR-655
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »

Let me clarify - there are 2 types of situations for the restoring and saving of customizations.  (NOTE:  read the link I included in my post above today regarding the INTERNAL change in format). 

1 - you save and restore during "normal" operations w/o a firmware change =  As  experienced by myself and others, sometimes the settings need a refresh if the device locks up and needs a clearing of settings.  Stupid that it occurs as it shouldn't, but it happens.  Even making a small change and saving the change can cause this problem -  browser related?  I use FF with Sun Java. 

2 - you need to restore after a firmware change - They didn't tell you that structure/format was changed inside the router and you could now run into trouble in trying to restore a previously known-good configuration file.  See the article I mentioned. 

However, I haven't had this corrupt setting problem until *dun dun dun* the horrible 1.31NA was introduced.  Oh, I know, it's all my fault for updating to fix known holes, bugs, and other problems and trying to remain somewhat more secure while on the Net.  I didn't care about the "features" (read that as "new bugs") that were made, but those may be important to others.  Either way, Dlink shouldn't hide the fact that changes were made for the format and your settings will be at risk because of those changes.  :o  Still Dlink should have allowed for regression to a previous firmware level and using your old config files.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:37:35 PM by unickz »
unix - it's what's for dinner

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

No, there's javascript and there's Java (apps). We're talking about the javascript. (Windows XP, 98,95) used to have their own Java engine, but that's over now)

Javascript looks like this:
<script type="text/javascript" src="md5.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[

var graphic_auth = "false";

/*
         * page_load()
         */
        function page_load()
        {
            /*
             * Detect browsers that cannot handle XML methods.
             */
            if (!AJAX_BROWSER_HAS_XMLHTTP) {
                alert ("Your web browser is too old to use this web site. Please upgrade your browser.");
                return;

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »

No, there's javascript and there's Java (apps). We're talking about the javascript. (Windows XP, 98,95) used to have their own Java engine, but that's over now)

Javascript looks like this:

Call me crazy but for all the vilification of Bill Gates, I never could fault the guy for wanting to make a buck. OK, many BILLIONS of bucks. For this reason, no matter how often my friends told me "You need to stop using IE and use Forefox because.....". Or, I should stop using this or that Microsoft product because <insert your favorite reason here>. Call me set in my ways but I told them to pound salt. I have stuck with MS from day 1 (and that was centuries ago) because if it worked, that was good enough for me. I've also been a Dell computer buyer for years. From experience I've found that my Dells never (and yep, I mean never) have had a compatibility problem with MS -whatever. If there is a new XP release, no problem - start pushing. The point of all of this chest beating is that in my uneducated opinion, D-Link can only test on X amount of different setups. My "guess" is that one of their setups is strictly MS. If they get it to work there, how many more hours do they need to spend to satisfy every "have it your way" customer out there? There has to be thousands of permutations. Somebody, or lots of somebody's out there has to be the lucky one that has a minute difference that makes ALL the difference between success or failure. That's why you'll find lots of people who swear buy "Brand-X" routers and former "Brand-X" router owners that wouldn't use one if you gave it to them. If you could ever get D-Link to write down EXACTLY what goes in to their setup, you, the consumer then duplicate it, then find that your router is actually a high priced brick, I'd be right there with you staring at Fatman with my arms crossed and my toe tapping with a "What's up with that?" look on my face. Don't think I am not sympathetic to your problem. Because I despise the tone of my message which smacks of "you're the problem, not the other way around", I'm gettin' out of these discussions where there are only absolutes and no room for middle ground. I wish each of you the best of luck in finding a solution. I will still be following this topic here, and whereever I find it. I would like to know if D-Link actually finds a problem with the firmware they've released.
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »

I'm not saying it really is 'that' that causes the issues. Like I also said: security settings of the browser can also impact working with Javascript. There's no way to judge if one or both are applicable. It's just that both options are possible and for example: the javascript engine of IE8 differs from the IE7 and IE6 versions, thus increasing the options to fail :-)

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »

I'm not saying it really is 'that' that causes the issues. Like I also said: security settings of the browser can also impact working with Javascript. There's no way to judge if one or both are applicable. It's just that both options are possible and for example: the javascript engine of IE8 differs from the IE7 and IE6 versions, thus increasing the options to fail :-)

Sorry Demonized, I wasn't ranting at you. I was babbling and picked you as my reluctant sounding board. A good sign that I need to step back a while. I'm beginning to editorialize more than try to help. These boards are becoming the Maelstrom from "20,000 leagues under sea".

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »

Hmmm...you indeed do tend to elaborate in a philosophical way  ;)

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »

Hmmm...you indeed do tend to elaborate in a philosophical way  ;)

BWA HA HA HA! You just told me in the nicest way possible that I am full of hot air. Thanks for the chuckle.

"Your tongue's wagging like a blind dog's tail in a meat market."

Time to suck in some air. I'll be sure to leave enough for the rest of you.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 02:53:28 AM »

You know that when I'm just being 'me' I would have said "yeah, you're full of s**t" . But I'm taking into account that this will provoke a reaction from some. We've got a learning curve here  :D

Dave2667

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 06:50:51 AM »

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but back to the topic...

I've recently hooked up my 655, with factory 1.21, and I'm having the same problem with the save settings.  And, apparently, they've taken down the 1.22beta from the ftp site.  The only thing left there are the published versions and a couple of 1.32betas.  Any idea where I can get a copy of the zip from another source?

Clancy, I'm going to do some further searching for some of your earlier posts on IE8.  I'm new to the forums and haven't seen them yet.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but back to the topic...

I've recently hooked up my 655, with factory 1.21, and I'm having the same problem with the save settings.  And, apparently, they've taken down the 1.22beta from the ftp site.  The only thing left there are the published versions and a couple of 1.32betas.  Any idea where I can get a copy of the zip from another source?

Clancy, I'm going to do some further searching for some of your earlier posts on IE8.  I'm new to the forums and haven't seen them yet.

Dave, staying on topic not allowed.

I snooped around on my hard drive and I couldn't find the flash you are looking for. If I did, I'd charge you a nominal fee for sending it to you. I know, that's the kind of guy I am.

That you indicate you are doing some research on your own is a sign that you possess a higher form of intelligence. I'm staying away from you!

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »

unickz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

geesh!  u guys really derailed this topic.  Ok, back on the rails.  I'm afraid to ask if the "beta" guineas out there have been manually restoring their settings since "save" seems to be more of an "anti-save".   :-[
unix - it's what's for dinner

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »

Quote from: unickz
I'm afraid to ask if the "beta" guineas out there have been manually restoring their settings since "save" seems to be more of an "anti-save".   

I tried nearly every firmware version for this router and I always restored the settings manually.
The saved settings are only used within the same version of firmware.

Never had problems with the 655 and updates.

(I'm using IE8 and it needed to adjust security settings of the Browser to work properly with the router's web interface)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:42:17 PM by lizzi555 »

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »

Used manual and saved config both. From 1.21 -> 1.30 manual required, from 1.3x to 1.32beta reloading config.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »

geesh!  u guys really derailed this topic.  Ok, back on the rails.  I'm afraid to ask if the "beta" guineas out there have been manually restoring their settings since "save" seems to be more of an "anti-save".   :-[

I have restored my configuration since upgrading from 1.21 through each successive release. I almost hate to say this but, I've never encountered a problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7