• April 16, 2024, 08:00:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Connection Dropping  (Read 9511 times)

kjmsmith

• Level 1 Member
Connection Dropping
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:09 AM »

I have been using the 857 for about 9 months and when it works I love it but when it drops internet connections I wonder why I bought this. After struggling with it for some time, including poor 5ghz access I am now at the end of my patience as I keep losing connection whenever the modem is asked to perform. I have read the many posts and recommendations from Furry (thanks for all your support) but I am ready to call for a replacement unit unless there is something I am missing. My issue is not with any IP conflicts and I have modified settings such as the ones posted here:

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
•Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
•Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
•Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
•Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
•Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
•Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
•If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
•Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
•Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
•Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
•WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
•Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.
•Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

Under what I may call "normal conditions" everything works ok with occasional drops here and there with the many devices (wifi 2.4 and lan) attached. My connection drops however when the modem is taxed with transferring a bulk of data such as moving files to a backup drive. I was using the usb port on the router to use as a NAS type drive but when I moved large files over the network it is almost like it overheats and fails. Thinking the usb was the problem, I recently disconnected the usb drive and upgraded the back-up to a Seagate GoFlex network drive and now it is even worse. When trying to move data across the network first the wifi is dropped and eventually the LAN. After waiting a few minutes it comes back on only to fail again when the file transfer is restarted. I have tried elevating the unit to allow airflow under it which seems to help ocassionally but should I really have to be doing this? Again, unless I am missing something, to me the modem is failing a simple task of moving data across the network. I am not interested in spending many more hours trying to "troubleshoot" this problem as it is a basic ask of the hardware. Before calling to request  a replacement, any last suggestions?

Additional info:
•What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router. A1
•Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status. 1.04
•Are you wired or wireless connected to the router? Both
•Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? Yes
•Was the router working before any firmware updates? Not reliably

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
•What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL? Cable
•What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? RCA DCM425
•What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:54:01 AM by kjmsmith »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Connection Dropping
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers:[/b] Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.

Also might need to review the heat thread...I'm wondering if maybe some additional cooling maybe needed since you seem to have a lot going on with this router...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

kjmsmith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply. Having done a lot of pre-reading before posting I have experimented with the all of the following suggestions with no change:

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
•Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual. Done this.
•What wireless modes are you using? primarily 2.4 as 5 has poor range - both are affected when it goes down•2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers:[/b] Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz? Tried this.
•Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only. And this.
•Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. Nope - no change.
•What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. Tried these variations.•What wireless devices do you have connected? 2 apple devices, wii, xbox, playbook, laptops (3)•Any cordless house phones? Yes - DECT 6.0
•Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? several - have ran tests to ensure no interference•If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. Yep, did this too.

Keep in mind this is not limited to wifi but fails on LAN devices too. This is why I am thinking the processor can't keep up or overheats. I have read the issues on these units and heat problems which also leads me to believe this is the problem. I can appreciate a fan blowing on it may help but I am not interested in a make-shift solution and expect a product to run without home modifications. The router is in a cool basement and there are no other devices nearby blowing off heat.

To get a replacement modem, who should I contact? Again, thank you for your assistance, I appreciate the fantastic support on here.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

Basement? How many floors are there to this build? It's recommended to place the router on the main level and avoid placement in basements as there could be problems with building materials...

If you have several other WiFi routers near by, ensure that your using channels that are not being used by any of the other routers? Did you test the router with lowering the power output from High to Medium? It's been proven that in high congested areas with WiFi, reducing the power output helps.

I would recommend getting a Laptop cooler and placing it under the router. They are cheap and inexpensive and work well. You can even connecting to the routers USB port if your not using it or find one with external power. We have been tracking issues with heat problems with these routers. It's been proven that adding external cooling resolves the heat issues.

You'll have to contact your ISP for modem replacement if that's needed. I presume this isn't a modem issue.

If you think this router needs to be replaced, then you'll need to phone contact D-Link support and talk to them directly. I presume if you get a new one, that if this is really a heat issue, it might appear again possibly.  ::)  I would test the cooler and testing with lower power settings before though. I haven't seen any heat issues with mine and have enjoyed it greatly since getting it. I presume that I might not have as many wifi connections as you though. Your situation seems very similar to a user over on the 827 forum who confirmed adding cooling fixed his issue.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:34:37 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

Thank you for the quick reply. Having done a lot of pre-reading before posting I have experimented with the all of the following suggestions with no change:

Wireless Configurations
•Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual. Done this.
•What wireless modes are you using? primarily 2.4 as 5 has poor range - both are affected when it goes down•2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers:[/b] Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz? Tried this.
•Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only. And this.
•Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. Nope - no change.
•What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. Tried these variations.•What wireless devices do you have connected? 2 apple devices, wii, xbox, playbook, laptops (3)•Any cordless house phones? Yes - DECT 6.0
•Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? several - have ran tests to ensure no interference•If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. Yep, did this too.

Keep in mind this is not limited to wifi but fails on LAN devices too. This is why I am thinking the processor can't keep up or overheats. I have read the issues on these units and heat problems which also leads me to believe this is the problem. I can appreciate a fan blowing on it may help but I am not interested in a make-shift solution and expect a product to run without home modifications. The router is in a cool basement and there are no other devices nearby blowing off heat.

To get a replacement modem, who should I contact? Again, thank you for your assistance, I appreciate the fantastic support on here.

kjmsmith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »

Sorry for the delay responding, thanks for checking in on this issue. I continued to have connection failures and the router seemed to continue to get really hot. I didn't try using a cooling mat as I maintain that the device should not require a separate cooling system - if so, there is a problem with the unit itself (imo). Throughout the winter the issue seemed to stabilize periodically and I would think all was good although when under heavy streaming it would fail and I would have to let it sit and reboot. The issue came to a head 3 weeks ago when we had a power outage and even though my equipment is on a surge protector UPS, it seemed to impact the modem as after this it wouldn't stay powered on any longer than a few hours. Begrudgenly, I replaced it with a NetGear AC1750 (R6300) and so far am very happy with it - no drops and excellent range (much improved 5GHz connection inside and out). I'm not throwing DLink under the bus as I have enjoyed many good products and perhaps I got a dud router.
I am planning to continue testing the 857 and perhaps see if I can keep it powered on without a heavy load on it. If I can, I would like to use it as a wireless bridge for a wired device in another part of the house - I assume it can be set to this mode? Where can i find specific instructions?
Thanks again!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »

Try using a laptop cooler under it...we've where the cooler will help solve the heat issue. Be sure that the roujter sits on a well ventilated rack or something that allows for good air flow...

There is no bridge option on these routers. You can use it in wired AP mode though...

kjmsmith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »

No wireless bridge??? Bummer! I guess I'll have to look to see if dd-wrt will work.... With all due respect, for the price I paid for this router, if it requires a laptop cooler to work as advertised, the device is sub-par, defective, etc and should be recalled. I don't see needing a cooler as a system requirement listed on the box. Sorry, not intended as a personal shot but speaks volumes to me about dlink design, support and commitment to a quality product. I do appreciate your assistance to this forum Furry!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »

The cooler was only mentioned as we have seen some issues with Canadian HW. Units here in the USA have not exhibited this issue which as confirmed just the other day. My 857 has been flawless since day 1 and WRT is not supported either on these routers.

This router is a solid router and is not sub-par and the design is well done.

Don't judge before you experience it fully when its correctly configured and set up well.

How ever it seems that you have moved on. Good Luck. I guess this can be considered a configuration issue.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:48:57 AM by FurryNutz »