• March 28, 2024, 05:30:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Connecting to External Hard Drive connected to DNS-323's USB port.  (Read 25150 times)

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member

Anyone know how to connect to an external hard drive connected to the USB port of DNS-323, in LINUX? Windows and Mac users get a Shareport Utility. Sadly no Linux client yet!

@ Dlink, Can we get a Linux Shareport Utility Client?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Connecting to External Hard Drive connected to DNS-323's USB port.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »

Google DNS-323 and USB external drive. Possibilities are available using a third party modification- fun_plug / FFP
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:57 AM »

Anyone know how to connect to an external hard drive connected to the USB port of DNS-323, in LINUX? Windows and Mac users get a Shareport Utility. Sadly no Linux client yet!

@ Dlink, Can we get a Linux Shareport Utility Client?

No no no no no Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please please don't do this!!!!

They added sharepoint to the DIR-655 and totally blew the firmware, it's been crippled ever since - just go read the forums. You do NOT want them adding this to the firmware and ending up with a broken NAS. They have had over a year to fix the implications of addingt sharepoint to the DIR-655 and still haven't managed to fix the basic (and fundamental) problems that it introduced.

Be careful what you wish for! ;)

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »

I agree with tentimes.  Shareport is not the way to add a USB drive but  we do need it.

Terry

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »

@ Dlink Engineers: Can we get support for USB connected External hard drive in the next firmware update?

Its really sad to see my usb port wasted. I have two external hard drives lying around.

I borrowed a friend's Synology DS210j. USB External hard drive works flawlessly.

Can we please get some USB hard drive support?

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

Google DNS-323 and USB external drive. Possibilities are available using a third party modification- fun_plug / FFP

My external HDD is not supported by the fun_plug method!! Tried it already!

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »

@ Dlink Engineers: Can we get support for USB connected External hard drive in the next firmware update?

Its really sad to see my usb port wasted. I have two external hard drives lying around.

I borrowed a friend's Synology DS210j. USB External hard drive works flawlessly.

Can we please get some USB hard drive support?

I would not count on any more firmware updates from D-Link.  We have been waiting for a long time for fixes and nothing.  D-Link does not even have the courtesy to reply on this board anymore.

Terry

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »

Thats sucks!! Maybe I should stop buying Dlink!! The Synology NAS and their support is far more superior to the DNS 323 and Dlink. I wish I had known these facts before I bought the DNS 323.

Lets give them the benefit of doubt, they are busy working on the fixes and feature requests, hence find no time to reply to the posts!!! ;D

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:06 AM »

My external HDD is not supported by the fun_plug method!! Tried it already!

You just need to "insmod usb-storage.ko" (http://www.domaigne.com/download/dns-323/usb-storage.ko). Wait a few seconds, then mount it. I've only ever tried it with ext2/3 partitions but has worked every time.

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

Hi chriso and thank you for the information.

Do you think one can use a printer and two external USB drives with a hub attached? I just installed a printer the other day and I'm quite happy to use in network a printer not designed for such use.

And, since you have the experience, does the transfer rate from external HDD you have connected through the hub, changes too much from having them connected directly to the computer? I imagine yes, because the bottleneck is still the DNS-323 system, but what is your experience? Have you tested transfer speeds?

Thank you.

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »

@jamieburchell

I tried the usb_storage.ko module from the link you sent me. No luck.I have a 2 TB Hitachi Lifestudio External Drive formatted as NTFS.

Product link: http://www.hitachigst.com/lifestudio-desk-plus

I have tried a bunch of usb_storage.ko and ntfs.ko files from a variety of sources. I can see that the usb_all.sh script tries to mount it. But it is unable to. The different .ko files that I have found on the web were all had timestamps from 2007 to 2008. Can someone point me to a .ko file that works. Especially on the newer External drives like the Hitachi one which are of 2 TB capacity!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:14 AM »

The hard drive can not be formatted with NTFS if you want to use it with the DNS-323.  It needs to be formatted with ext2/3.  This is a Linux operating system it doesn't know how to deal with a NTFS disk.

That is incorrect - whilst linux does not use NTFS as it's native file system, it can read & write to NTFS disks.

Just as Windows does not natively read/write the linux ext2/3 file systems, but can be made to do it using an installable file system driver, linux can be made to read/write NTFS file systems using a kernal module.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice five posts earlier - ALL of the information (and assistance) you need to make this happen can be found in the appropriate forum.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »

@jamieburchell

I tried the usb_storage.ko module from the link you sent me. No luck.

I can't comment on your particuladriver, nor mounting NTFS partitions. I've only ever mounted EXT2/3 partitions. I guess you could try that?

vishnumrao

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »

I can't comment on your particuladriver, nor mounting NTFS partitions. I've only ever mounted EXT2/3 partitions. I guess you could try that?

Ha ha, Just the two formats that I don't can't try, because I don't have.

I have a 2TB external formatted as NTFS and another 1 TB formatted as ext4! None of which is supported by the DNS 323 at the moment. But thanks for your replies.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »

You can format it as EXT2/3 with Linux or tools like GParted. You can even connect it via USB to the NAS and do it if you use ffp (fun_plug)
Pages: [1] 2