• March 28, 2024, 07:54:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: DNS-323 - 1.08 Ongoing Issue List  (Read 108363 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 1.08 Ongoing Issue List - Updated April 5th 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »

You obviously don't really understand what RAID-1 is and is not.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »

By that you mean what? What is RAID 1 then if it is not data mirroring? Possibly you could provide references when you wish to help people.

RAID 1

RAID 1 mirrors the contents of the disks, making a form of 1:1 ratio real time mirroring. The contents of each disk in the array are identical to that of every other disk in the array. A RAID 1 array requires a minimum of two drives.

http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/neuffer/scsi/what_is_raid.html
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/raid-storage-explained/502

aoxomomoxoa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »

gunrunnerjohn,

I am very appreciative of you compiling a list for v1.08 firmware, so as to prioritize issues, so as to get them fixed.  (I have worked as a firmware engineer for many years, doing both servo, & controller code for HDD's, & ODD's, so totally get it!).

Please add to the list the bug which crept in after 1.06 which prevents anonymous and protected shares on the same NAS from working, i.e. "Accounts problem", post  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10463.0

I really need this to work, so as to make things easy for my grandkids to use the NAS, to copy pictures in/out.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Mark aka aoxomomoxoa........ ::)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »

By that you mean what? What is RAID 1 then if it is not data mirroring? Possibly you could provide references when you wish to help people.
The ONLY thing that RAID-1 protects you from is hardware failure of a disk drive!  Think about it.

1. If you delete a file/folder from the NAS, both copies are gone.
2. If you have a virus or malware trash the disk, both copies are gone.
3. If you have a controller failure, both copies are gone unless you have identical hardware to connect your drives.

RAID of any level is NOT backup.  It's primary purpose is to provide greater data availability in the event of a drive failure, that's it.  I'm not sure why this concept is so difficult to grasp.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »

Its not hard to understand - I stated that in my post. It improves the "hardware reliability". I also stated that it will not stop deletions, but that is not what occurred. By the way, you can use snapshots to create backups, all that you need to make sure is that your reliability is high enough. Hence, RAID 1. But if the controller kills both drives it is called a double fault - very few reliability applications take in to consideration multiple fault scenarios as they are considered very unlikely. Yes they do happen.

The issue, that I am finding out, is that the DNS-323 created a new file system when it should not have. It was not a virus or other issue that I have. I didn't know that it created a new file system until I went in with GParted with the drives in an USB enclosure.

The original problem was that the Beta bug regarding the Scan Disk is still there. It will not complete. Without it functioning, you can't perform the a file system check for soft or hard errors.

When I restarted I had no visibility at what happened other than my folders disappeared. It wasn't until I took the drives out and have put them into a USB enclosure to debug them that I found the second file system created. It created a second file system on the same physical drive using the same space - 500 GB. However, it realized that the 500 GB was used and so it has set the used space to 0 KB and the free space to 0 MB. In other words, when it restarted it saw the RAID 1 configuration, however, it seems it did not find the starting blocks for the existing filesystem. That in itself is another bug.

I have also found that I could not use the Manual Rebuild as it was greyed out. I don't know if  this is a known bug or not.

In any case there was no indication from the Status page that the drives were degraded in any way.

As a final bug, the Fan Control in Auto (Low, High, Off) mode does not seem to function properly as it stays off and the temperature increases to 45C - before I switched the Fan Control to Auto (Low, High).

In summary, 1.08 still seems to have a number of the bugs that were identified in the Beta build. I was under the impression that they were to be fixed prior to the release.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »

If you reset to factory defaults and manually reconfigure, it seems to fix the fan fault.  I had the same issue, that's what got it working properly again.

I don't trust the scandisk either.

I actually went from RAID-1 with my DNS-323 and DNS-321 to a single disk.  I'd rather have the two independent backups than a single RAID array.  I also went from EXT2 to EXT3 for added filesystem reliability.

The only RAID NAS I have is my Synology DS209, it's the primary network storage, the two D-Link NAS boxes are the backups for that.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

Yes, now that they support ext3, I too will be going that way once I finish rebuilding. Given this latest issue, I am leaning toward either standard or jbod as well and then seeing if I can put snapshots on the opposite drive of just the stuff I need to keep.

gunrunnnerjohn, do you know if we can run an e2fsck on the DNS-323 remotely - i.e. from a Linux connected computer?

Thanks, Cliff.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »

Well, JBOD is not a good choice, if you lose either drive, you will almost surely lose all the data.  I'd go with separate volumes if you're going to keep both disks in the box.

I don't think there is any way to remotely access the internal drive to that level, at least I don't know of it.  That's one of the reasons I went for EXT3, it's a more robust filesystem, I figured it might be a bit better data protection.  The real way I plan on saving the data is simply by having several copies on different physical NAS boxes.  My primary NAS is backed up to a secondary one, then it is later backed up to the the 3rd level one.  I have three generations of the data, copied at different times, this should be reasonable protection.  I also have some older Ximeta NDAS drives that I do ad-hoc backups to at least once a month, other than that, they're off-line.

Just because I'm paranoid about my data, that doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :D

neoncs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »

An addition to the issue List is this post.

UPnP AV Server not accessible from Windows 7 - WMP 12

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12490.0

An update from DLink on when this will be fixed would be nice.

gionn

• Level 1 Member
    • GNU/Linux Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »

3. If you have a controller failure, both copies are gone unless you have identical hardware to connect your drives.

This is true only for hardware raid controller, DNS-323 use linux software raid, so you only need a linux box to recover your data.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »

True, but then most of the folks here don't have one of those either. :)

Of course, with a Windows EXT2/3 driver, you can also connect to Windows and recover data.  In any case, with proper backups, you wouldn't need to try to recover that data. ;)

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
Fan power save settings revert to slow/fast after reboot
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »

I believe I'm not the first one to report this.
If I setup  powersave settings for Fan to Off/Slow/Fast everything works fine until next reboot. After reboot NAS config page still shows Off/Slow/Fast, but actually works as Slow/Fast and the fan never stops. Pushing Save Settings button on this page fixes the issue BTW (probably applying declared setting).
Special thanks for log message "Fan cannot stop. Please check the fan." Still wandering what exactly user is supposed to check in this case. Some ghost who is keeping rotating fan?  :)

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:51 PM »

Thanks for the reply gunrunnerjohn. I have reset to factory defaults, but I still have the same problem. Even if I make no changes to the LAN settings, but save the settings, I can connect to the DNS-323 again. Any other suggestions?

Me Too, is a common problem whether dlink like it or not

rocaddict

• Level 1 Member

Long-standing Bittorrent issue, still not resolved.

Firmware: 1.09a
HW: A1

(N.B.: This issue has been present for awhile, ad apparently never addressed. )

When trying to access Bittorrent list, the message intermittently appears

" Connection to Server Failed"

Torrents are listed, but unable to add torrents.  (The Add button does nothing when adding from file)

madmat17

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 03:23:20 AM »

this is more or less an issue, some people may consider it being a bug:

network access configuration (Samba): not possible to add users to multiple user groups. samba supports this functionality, but it seems that the scripted front end doesn't.
will this ever be fixed?

br,
mat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7