• April 16, 2024, 10:37:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DIR-857 vs DIR-865  (Read 48854 times)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-857 vs DIR-865
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

Wondering if you could build a spreadsheet of results vs the different DNS configurations vs NSLookup results. Might help see what each configuration is doing.  ::)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

rlcronin

Re: DIR-857 vs DIR-865
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

I rebooted with relay=on and relay=off and saw that log message in both cases (which makes me suspect its a red herring, but it would be interesting to know if you see it as well).

For nslookup, I just use "nslookup google.com".

For what its worth, since my previous post I decided to install wireshark to capture a packet trace of my LAN adapter during the case where DNS relay is off and when it is on. I am no wireshark expert, but I can clearly see in the trace that in the relay=off case, DNS queries are being launched off towards the static DNS addresses I have configured (as they are listed first in the ipconfig output) but that no response ever comes back. In the relay=on case, I see the request directed at 192.168.1.1 (the address of the router) and the response coming back immediately. If I manually configure the static DNS addresses in the TCP/IP properties for my LAN adapter and repeat the test, I see the request go out to those servers and the response comes back right away.

This is no different than what I found the other day, its just that now I have packet traces showing it happening.

To summarize:

With DNS relay off, when my LAN adapter is configured to obtain both its IP address and DNS server addresses from DHCP, the DNS requests get sent out from Windows, but no response is ever received.

With DNS relay still off, when my LAN adapter is configured to obtain just its IP address from DHCP and its DNS server addresses are statically configured, the DNS requests get sent out from Windows as before, but I *do* get responses.

I do not have time right now to put together a spreadsheet showing all this, but you shouldn't need one. It is a relatively simple thing to test.

In the INTERNET setup, configure two static DNS servers (use OpenDNS, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). In NETWORK setup, un-check DNS relay. Reboot the router to ensure the settings are in effect. In Windows, make sure your LAN adapter is configured to obtain both its IP address and its DNS server addresses dynamically. Open a command prompt and issue "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig /flushdns" and "ipconfig /renew" to force Windows to go to the router to get a new IP address and list of DNS servers. Issue "ipconfig /all" to verify the DNS server addresses are as you configured them in the router. Then try "nslookup google.com". For me, I get nothing but timeouts and no response is ever received.
--
bc
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]