• April 18, 2024, 01:47:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Email Setup for Event Notifications  (Read 3430 times)

was_a_guru

• Level 1 Member
Email Setup for Event Notifications
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

When I initially setup and configured my camera I set up an email address for logging into my camera and for receiving motion detection notifications.

On Page 43 of the user manual it talks about setting up an email (or ftp) address for event notifications. Why would I need to do this if I already have set one up (when I installed the camera), and additionally what is the purpose of the following:
   Sender email address
   Recipient email address
   Server address
   User name
   Password

Why can't I just specify my email address (I use Comcast for my email) at which I want to receive notifications. That shouldn't require knowledge of my server address, user name and password.

Is this if I want to set up something on my own email server?  Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

oranges

• Level 2 Member
Re: Email Setup for Event Notifications
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »

This would be for your SMTP server. The same server that you would normally send mail through. For instance if you had a gamil address it would be smtp.googlemail.com or something similar. Use whatever outgoing mail server you have specified in your email software. Oh, you are using comcast. so that would be smtp.comcast.net using port 465. If that doesnt work try port 587. Username is probably your email address.
DIR-655 Router
Buffallo Linkstation Live 1TB
DCS-932L
DCS-2132L

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Email Setup for Event Notifications
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

Why can't I just specify my email address (I use Comcast for my email) at which I want to receive notifications. That shouldn't require knowledge of my server address, user name and password.

Because these things change at times and every email provider situation isn't known.

Although new Android 4.x appears to handle most of this behind the scenes stuff now.