• April 17, 2024, 11:41:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FW 1.01 was a let down... Now what?  (Read 14720 times)

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
FW 1.01 was a let down... Now what?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »

I ordered my DNS-321 about a month and a half ago and it is still not being used.  I have two 500GB WD RE3 drives that will be used in RAID1 at some point.  I updated the firmware from 1.0 to 1.01 hoping the file/group permissions would be resolved among other things but it appears it isn't (requiring some javascript hack for a work around is rediculous).  Can any of the D-Link forum admins comment on the when the next update (1.02) may arrive?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: FW 1.01 was a let down... Now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »

I'm going to get the shipping firmware up on the support website. Have you tried using Firefox and IE7 to configure you DNS-321?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:58:53 AM »

Thanks for the response.  I have reapplied the 1.01 firmware a few times using different browsers hoping there may have been a bug in the firmware application process, but that did not resolve anything.  I do use FF3 primarily, but have also tried IE6 and IE7 without any improvement.  I did notice progress being made with the multimedia capabilities for this device in the recent firmware update, but I feel something like keeping the file/folder/user/group permissions should be at the top of the priorities list. 

Admittedly I purchased this device to supplement a current production server for additional storage and backup redundancy (currently using nightly 400GB tapes) and have been left wishing I wasn't so quick to jump with this model. 

I'm not certain why some of the users here report success with the recent firmware and others not.  Are there different hardware revisions floating around that are causing minor inconsistencies?  Again, any word on when we may receive a further update (1.02)?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

We are currently looking into this issue to see if it is in fact and issue or by design. I do not have a time frame for 1.02 at this time.

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:51 AM »

Almost another month has gone by without any sign of an update and almost 2 months since firmware 1.01 has been released.  Any updates on the way? 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:33:04 PM »

No update at this time, however the next firmware is in the works. We are always working to improve our devices and keep them up to date with todays technologies.

nrf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »

Sounds like a marketing pitch. How about a firmware update to get the device working as advertised? I think that should come before throwing more half-working features in.

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »

Instead of adding additional features, I think it would be benificial for all if the small quirks get address first.  Surely it is understood by now what causes the minor bugs when users are initially setting up the device (javascript bugs, etc).  For my personal reasons, I'm not concerned so much with the multimedia aspect of the features, but would appreciate more attention to the administration side of things (backup/restore of settings, cross compatibility with browsers, etc) .  Just a thought...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:52:05 AM by jumboframe »

kevinpatten

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

for jumbo frames to work, your DNS-321 has to have jumbo frames turned on, your switch has to support jumbo frames (not all do), and your NIC must support jumbo frames.  Also try to match up the frame size on your NIC and the DNS-321.  I have seen a 30% boost in performance.  I am using 7k frame size.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »

Bug fixes and new or updated features are release in the same firmware. 

nrf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »

so this means the bug fixes are withheld from the customers until some new features are ready to go. a faster fix cycle would be greatly appreciated. At some point prospective purchasers are going to see the slow cycle time and large number of complaints and 'pass' on this product.

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:42:10 AM »

I'm sure development/support resources are limited, but I'll still give my opinion that a stable/development branch of the firmware would help the majority of users here. 

Put out a bug fix release, that way users and developers have a good foundation to build on.  This current approach of fixes and features bundled together is tricky for even the biggest of development teams. 

A development or beta branch would satisfy the users who are eager for new features.  Since many of us are also willing to help test, loads of bug reports would likely be filed.  Everyone wins with an approach like this. 

Avoiding simple fixes for the sake of waiting to unload a big update is silly and is only holding back users from properly using their product and recommending it to others.  Just a thought...

peas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »

I've worked at a tech company before and can offer a little insight into the delay of bug fixes.  Smaller companies have fewer resources for test, development, and everything else.  Employees are stretched thin between developing new products and fixing problems in existing products.  If profits sag, especially in a bad economy, resources get stretched even thinner.  The slow release of firmwares for the DNS-321 indicates to me that D-Link is struggling, maybe very badly.  I sure hope that they can survive this economic storm and focus on delivering and maintaining quality products.

jumboframe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »

True, economic times are rough, its evident with all the layoffs each week.  I'm sure D-LINK still has some developers employed that are able to understand the issues that are plaguing the product and putting out fixes in a timely manner. 

Their DNS-323 has been out since summer of 2006 and its now at firmware 1.06.  There should be code that can be shared between the two models, at least at the higher level dealing with the web interface (which has been pointed out as a source of trouble). 

nrf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »

maybe I am too idealistic, but a reliable, performing-as-advertised product has a better chance at bringing in a steady stream of profits than one that makes the existing customer base angry.

what do I know?

my current stance is I am working on my own project to replace it with own samba server / raid combo. I wish that were not necessary.

Pages: [1] 2